Author Topic: Enforce Gold-Only Transactions  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Enforce Gold-Only Transactions
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 05:33:16 pm »
+1
And those who lack patience.

That's weird, because one heirloom exchange goes faster than two gold trades.

What does this matter? Yes, people are making do with the current system to trade items.

So you are psychic ? How can you tell people want something they already have the option to do, when they are actually doing something else ? That's impressive.

That does not change the fact that the system needlessly encourages over pricing and mindless clicking through two dozen trade screens.

How exactly would a gold based system not encourage overpricing or stop having to go through dozens of trade screens ? Your scenario of I sell my item I don't want, I buy the item I want is simplistic. I could very well sell item A, buy item B, sell item B for profit, and finally buy item C. Even though A and C are defined by what you want and don't want, B can be anything that lets you make a profit, so I would have to go through all the offer screens. Yet guess what, the current system lets you browse potential chaining offers very quickly. About overpricing, patient sellers will remain patient sellers.

Btw your attempts at hurting our arguments with ad hominem are pathetic. Your suggestion has no motivation in reality whatsoever and instead of defending it, you try to dismiss the huge problems we pointed out by ignoring them and justifiying that course of action because "don't listen to dem evil rich baddies !". If you want a civil discussion, follow the rules.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:39:34 pm by Kafein »

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »
+2
Bartering, bargaining, and locking down trade deals is half the fun of this game for me.  Leave the market alone, and have a -1, OP.

It's impatient traders like you that make me rich!

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »
I suggest you read this book Wrangham:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Book_of_Communism
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:02:42 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Wrangham

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • In-game: Wrang
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
I down voted you for editing your OP with ad hominem.

[/quote]

It's ad hominen to post people's publicly listed trade offers? Isn't that an acknowledgment that the behavior is disgusting? Please consult with your forum hivemind before responding!

Next time argue the merits of your case.

Please go through the suggestions forum and find me any other thread that argues merits better than my OP so I can have an example!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:57 am »
I +1'd OP and I'm guilty of always asking for gold on top. Trying to get money for respec auction.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:56 am »
It's ad hominen to post people's publicly listed trade offers? Isn't that an acknowledgment that the behavior is disgusting? Please consult with your forum hivemind before responding!

Does that mean my behaviour is disgusting because I add 10-25k to my offers to get rid of my Danish?
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 03:58:33 am »
It's ad hominen to post people's publicly listed trade offers ?

You finished high school, right ? It is ad hominem to argue that this publicly available information about them is what motivates people to criticize your terrible suggestion, and not its flaws.

Offline Wrangham

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 05:39:51 am »
You finished high school, right ? It is ad hominem to argue that this publicly available information about them is what motivates people to criticize your terrible suggestion, and not its flaws.

Why don't you defend the current market system instead of snarky 1-liner responses tearing my suggestion down? I have 37 posts in over a year and had an idea to improve a game I enjoy. You can't honestly believe raising an army of 8000-post hiveminders -1'ing every post I make regardless of its content is the way to improve c-rpg? When the guy telling me to read a book about death camps gets better treatment I question whether I even care to try any more.

You may disagree with my ideas but please point to one other thread that at least tries to be a critical and intelligent discussion on a controversial topic. GranPappy, a forum admin, accuses me of posting one-sided marketplace activity to insult forumites to win an internet argument, and obviously not because someone's bias is relevant to his opinion. Meanwhile the "poletorch platform" receives overwhelming support. I am slowly realizing that's the way things are on this disservice to the word "forum."
Maybe my idea would not work. I do not have a Ph. D. in economics or years of experience and even people who do still manage to make huge mistakes about markets. But almost every response in this thread has been about how I am a monkey who didn't finish high school instead of about ways to improve an imperfect system.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 06:43:39 am »
Wrangham, I think your suggestion is total bullshit, feel free to look up my large number of trades with 50k+ gold for switching one loom for another.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 08:03:33 am »
+3
1. Unnecessary.
2. Unnecessarily limits freedom.
3. Wouldn't make the market "fair".
4. Unnecessarily removes depth from the game. (Trading around to get the item you want.)
5. Unnecessary.

I see nothing good coming from this.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:17:49 am by Rhekimos »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:50 pm »
Why don't you defend the current market system instead of snarky 1-liner responses tearing my suggestion down? I have 37 posts in over a year and had an idea to improve a game I enjoy. You can't honestly believe raising an army of 8000-post hiveminders -1'ing every post I make regardless of its content is the way to improve c-rpg? When the guy telling me to read a book about death camps gets better treatment I question whether I even care to try any more.

You may disagree with my ideas but please point to one other thread that at least tries to be a critical and intelligent discussion on a controversial topic. GranPappy, a forum admin, accuses me of posting one-sided marketplace activity to insult forumites to win an internet argument, and obviously not because someone's bias is relevant to his opinion. Meanwhile the "poletorch platform" receives overwhelming support. I am slowly realizing that's the way things are on this disservice to the word "forum."
Maybe my idea would not work. I do not have a Ph. D. in economics or years of experience and even people who do still manage to make huge mistakes about markets. But almost every response in this thread has been about how I am a monkey who didn't finish high school instead of about ways to improve an imperfect system.

I'm sorry you got the impression I (and others ?) was insulting or attacking you personally in any way. I was criticizing the content of your suggestion, just like all the people that quoted you in this thread.

Then out of nowhere you start implying that I only do this because I have a trade booth. At that moment I thought "fuck this guy" and - ed all your posts. Just like I said before, if you want a civil discussion, start by being civil yourself.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »
+2
just introduce the ability to turn any loomed item into another loomed item.
problem solved, marketplace not needed, maybe also add a timer so nobody switches around every hour...

its not like any of the current goldsinks are actually working atm
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
Upvoted.  Not because I sperg out over the marketplace, but because I want to see the post reach equilibrium in votes.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:15 pm »
I suck at marketplace and loose money constantly because i dont know how to find good trades

Offline Wrangham

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:42 am »
I'm sorry you got the impression I (and others ?) was insulting or attacking you personally in any way.

I wonder where I got that impression?
Then out of nowhere you start implying that I only do this because I have a trade booth. At that moment I thought "fuck this guy" and - ed all your posts.

Oh that's right you gave me the impression when you insulted me!

Just like I said before, if you want a civil discussion, start by being civil yourself.

Asking Kafein's opinion about the c-rpg marketplace is like asking Larry Page's opinion about "Bing!" or inviting whoever made War of the Roses to critique C-RPG. In America it is entirely civil to point out another's bias in a matter. Senators do not write laws which would profit themselves. Judges do not decide cases which impact their assets.  I am sorry if this is not the case in your culture but I will not apologize if the sensibilities of freedom offend you. So when Kafein says he can transcend bias, I question whether he is really a supremely altruistic and intelligent person descending from his pedestal of reason; or if he is reacting to a suggestion which would significantly and materially impact him.

Bias is probably the most important factor to consider when evaluating someone's opinion:

["Wrangham:"] I suck at marketplace and loose money constantly because i dont know how to find good trades

Blacktiger28 can neither put together a complete sentence nor spell the word "lose." And despite being so upset that he is compelled to go through every post I have written to -1 me, he still understands the importance of bias. Blacktiger28 assumes that I am unable to use the marketplace effectively and am therefore biased against the system. His decidedly un-civil and mostly inaccurate message is more compelling than any other response in this thread.

Contrast it with this post:

Bartering, bargaining, and locking down trade deals is half the fun of this game for me.  Leave the market alone, and have a -1, OP.

It's impatient traders like you that make me rich!

At least oohillac can write a complete sentence. But it's the same message that he and Kafein and a dozen other posters embarrass themselves by repeating: "System is fair, say profiteers of system."