Author Topic: Would archery skill work if wpf and wm were redone?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: Would archery skill work if wpf and wm were redone?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:43 pm »
+1
When I was an archer for a gen I couldn't go without my melee capabilities. I also couldn't go without my bow doing damage either. I feel like with this build and equipment, you will mop the floor at a range and in melee.

Level 30

18 STR
21 AGI

PS : 6
ATH : 4
PD : 6
WM : 7

Two Handed : 80
Archery : 148 ( I think )

Use the two hander mode on the Langes Messer, Long Bow, and Bodkins you will rape shit. I didn't care about only having one stack of arrows since its a slow shooting long bow.

Armor was Heavy Aketon, Mail Mittens, Padded Iron Hat, and Green Hose with Kneecops.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
+3
Funny thing is, you're afraid of archers that's why you now use a shield. umirin?
Get a shield they said, it will help against ranged they said.

They lied. A shield is fucking worthless, I only use it because it makes my ashwood longer.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »
Not really. The reason is they are arfaid to lose some shooting capabilities and to become worse archers than pure archers. And as they shoot more than fight, they prefer to stay with good shooting.
If any archer could have some melee capabilities without having to sacrifice shooting capabilities, everyone would be a hybrid.

The reason most archers don't even bother with developping the melee side of their character is because that is the way of minmaxing. There is no point putting points in melee if you can avoid melee forever.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »

They lied. A shield is fucking worthless, I only use it because it makes my ashwood longer.

L2Shield!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:17 pm »
+1
The reason why archers don't hybridize is because they are afraid that as soon as they play melee, they'll find out how boring archery is.

Ehm ... I think that's a big mistake to say that : I would looooove to have 100 wpf in 1 handed and 165 in bow , but that's not possible , then , I will have to make a difficult choice between melee and a better accuracy , and I have only 50 wpf in 1handed now .

For interested guys , a funny build for archers

(click to show/hide)

Other funny build

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:08:50 pm by Algarn_of_Nord »

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:47 pm »
sry that build is slow, weak melee and weak archery
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
Yeah , I forgotten I'm level 32 and I have 6 PS and 50 in 1 handed , but that's really accurate, and slowness is nothing when you can fight  8-)

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:50 pm »

THEN USE A LONGSPEAK TEETH!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:59 am »

Hey! That's my line!

But seriously though, people saying "get a shield" to deal with archers got no idea what they are talking about. Better to get 7 or 8 athletics and go shieldless if you want to hunt archers. Throw in 2 PT and it's even better.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 12:14:15 am »
+1
im trying to do a sort of archer/mele hybrid, lvl 25 now. and yeah its easy to be effective in mele with low level/wpf, I can solo tin cans. but I cannot compete vs other archers who have 150+ wpf. they shoot faster and at ranges I cannot hit.

so yeah I'd be up for it scaling less, so archer is better at lower levels, and not as op at lvl 31+

but its gotta be balanced so ppl don't all go str builds.

ps: i would like to blame most my TH's on the release delay on bow, when was this added?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 12:34:55 am »
+1
Hey! That's my line!

But seriously though, people saying "get a shield" to deal with archers got no idea what they are talking about. Better to get 7 or 8 athletics and go shieldless if you want to hunt archers. Throw in 2 PT and it's even better.

Archer response: Don't chase after the archer, just use the shield to not die.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:20 am »
+2
Archer response: Don't chase after the archer, just use the shield to not die.
My response to that: Shields are still worse. Shields only cover on side, you can still get shot from the other 3. The movement speed loss is from shields is not worth it. I have an easier time dodging arrows with 4 athletics and no shield than 6 and with one. Besides, when you start dodging the arrows from one archer, you automatically start dodging ANY arrows coming your way, no matter if you are aware or not. Using a shield requires a lot more awareness.

Also, in battle you HAVE to kill all enemies. Not chasing archers isn't an option.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:47:31 am »
+1
Also, in battle you HAVE to kill all enemies. Not chasing archers isn't an option.

Then the problem is the gamemode, not archers. It's already been suggested to replace battle with conquest, which would solve that.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:46 am »
My response to that: Shields are still worse. Shields only cover on side, you can still get shot from the other 3. The movement speed loss is from shields is not worth it. I have an easier time dodging arrows with 4 athletics and no shield than 6 and with one. Besides, when you start dodging the arrows from one archer, you automatically start dodging ANY arrows coming your way, no matter if you are aware or not. Using a shield requires a lot more awareness.

IMO:
When I was shielder with only 6 athletics, I never had any problems with archers. All you have to do is to make sure that most of enemy ranged are at one side, shield even blocks projectiles when you don't press RMB. And playing without shield requires more awareness - you have to keep your eye on enemies to know where are they standing, where are your teammates and when is a good moment too engage, so that enemy ranged are busy and will not shoot you.
I can say for sure that with 6 athletics and shield I felt way more safe than now with 10 athletics without shield.

PS: or maybe im just a noob ninja  :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:53 pm »
+1
IMO:
When I was shielder with only 6 athletics, I never had any problems with archers. All you have to do is to make sure that most of enemy ranged are at one side, shield even blocks projectiles when you don't press RMB. And playing without shield requires more awareness - you have to keep your eye on enemies to know where are they standing, where are your teammates and when is a good moment too engage, so that enemy ranged are busy and will not shoot you.
I can say for sure that with 6 athletics and shield I felt way more safe than now with 10 athletics without shield.

PS: or maybe im just a noob ninja  :D

You see, the problem is about expectations. If by having a shield you expect not being shot from whatever is exactly in front of you at the cost of halved mobility and inability to attack, a shield is fine I guess. If you expect a shielder build to have the ability to counter archers the way archers counter *everything* (but mostly shieldless inf), then you are in for a disappointment.

It's always funny when one side is losing to an archery-intensive team everybody on that side is telling the others to kill the archers. Cav won't do it because they get shot and dismounted first, shielders won't do it because they get triangulated and kited, so they all try to convince their teammates to go play meatshield.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:26:47 pm by Kafein »