Author Topic: Thatcher dead!  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Thatcher dead!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:30 pm »
+1
I had similar feelings the day we learned that Ben Laden had been killed. I thought, ten years later nobody would give a damn even in the USA. But how wrong I was. Parties all over the states for what was basically a symbolic victory at this stage. Kinda reminiscent of shoe throwing and flag burning in the Middle East whenever someone says something about Islam.

Also benkei, about the "no more respect" part, I can guarantee you it is you being an old fart. Your own elders had the exact same opinion of you, and their elders about them too and so on. All of that is perception.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »
+5
If memory serves me well that "old witch" lifted economy of her country from the mud it fell into and quite successfully dealt with hooliganism. Those two things should be more then enough (even without her other achievements) to deserve some respect in the moment of her big jump to the other side of Styx river. Those useless teenage imbeciles know nothing about life and have no manners so I wouldn't pay any attention to them, same as the OP kurwa.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
[...]

Also benkei, about the "no more respect" part, I can guarantee you it is you being an old fart. Your own elders had the exact same opinion of you, and their elders about them too and so on. All of that is perception.
I hardly disagree. When I was 12, I stood up when some old lady stepped into the tram. You don't see this any more here. Neither were 17yrs old little boys guilty of beating up a 45yrs old father of 3 cuz he stood up for some little girls who were bullied by those wankers in the train. Beating up to the extent that he died after 2 weeks in intensive care.
I could give you a dozen of examples from where I am from. It's perception in a way, yea. People just don't give a shit. And that's exactly the problem.

I found my understanding of respect, pride and honour when I was something like 14/15 years old. It's a problem with the majority of a whole generation here. "Perception" is the lazy explanation.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »
+1
I hardly disagree. When I was 12, I stood up when some old lady stepped into the tram. You don't see this any more here.

What exactly tells you young people don't do that today ? Except a handful of examples you won't forget, in opposition with conter-examples you will forget ?

Neither were 17yrs old little boys guilty of beating up a 45yrs old father of 3 cuz he stood up for some little girls who were bullied by those wankers in the train. Beating up to the extent that he died after 2 weeks in intensive care.
I could give you a dozen of examples from where I am from. It's perception in a way, yea. People just don't give a shit. And that's exactly the problem.

Examples and perception again. Do you have statistics ?

I found my understanding of respect, pride and honour when I was something like 14/15 years old. It's a problem with the majority of a whole generation here. "Perception" is the lazy explanation.

You are not in their heads... To think that they are more evil than other young generations in their time to explain what you do not understand about them is the lazy explanation.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »
I find you rather ignorant right now, Kafein.

Statistics of a big raise in youth alcohol abuse, teen pregnancies and higher rates of violent crimes back me up. If you wanna see them, look them up yourself. I know what I've read and seen and I can't be bothered to proof my point to you. Besides, I wrote clearly "where I come from". Afaik, we come from different places. Be happy if in your world they are respectful...

Let's agree to disagree otherwise.

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »
+1
Ok just look at their intelligent faces and you will know everything.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »
+1
I had a course called "thacherism and the cinema" last term in university. What we learned was that Britain under Thatcher was a police-state like country, were minorities like blacks, gays, people from Asia and so on were arrested and even beaten by policemen on a "regular" basis for no real reason.

Also, we learned that her government favored only the rich people, and gave a fuck about the working class. Also the fear that communists could infiltrate the country made them control many people and even arrest them for being affiliated with communists.

At least thats what I learned in that course about politics of Thatchers government. The course was about british cinema though, so this historical/politics stuff was not the main topic.

No wonder people from other countries have such a bad opinion about her and her government.

That's mostly right from what I remember reading about that regime.

That outlined part really left some borderline leftist/commie propaganda taste in my mouth though.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
I find you rather ignorant right now, Kafein.

Statistics of a big raise in youth alcohol abuse, teen pregnancies and higher rates of violent crimes back me up. If you wanna see them, look them up yourself. I know what I've read and seen and I can't be bothered to proof my point to you. Besides, I wrote clearly "where I come from". Afaik, we come from different places. Be happy if in your world they are respectful...

Let's agree to disagree otherwise.

You do have statistics. That's what I wanted to hear. I don't care about tears.

I had a course called "thacherism and the cinema" last term in university. What we learned was that Britain under Thatcher was a police-state like country, were minorities like blacks, gays, people from Asia and so on were arrested and even beaten by policemen on a "regular" basis for no real reason.

Also, we learned that her government favored only the rich people, and gave a fuck about the working class. Also the fear that communists could infiltrate the country made them control many people and even arrest them for being affiliated with communists.

At least thats what I learned in that course about politics of Thatchers government. The course was about british cinema though, so this historical/politics stuff was not the main topic.

No wonder people from other countries have such a bad opinion about her and her government.

I'm quite sure the police of that era wasn't very kind to anything not white brit, or at least a part of the policemen. But given the years it happened, I wonder how many writers weren't part of a communist group, and how many of those weren't manipulated or even directly funded by soviet secret services.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:39:30 pm »
+1
I've noticed that trend from uni friends too, i don't understand where the hostility to differing views come from. Time will tell if its just the left or opposition that they enjoy :-P

Sadly some i know consider themselves superior because they went to uni even if they took pointless classes, human nature i guess

Ps sorry for poor grammar I'm on a tablet and its awkward as hell
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »
+2
What is best to do in a situation like that is to "ascend".

Literally, get over them, above them mentally, then laugh at them going around in circles throwing shit at eachother like chimpanzees.

PS: Then realize that these easily manipulated herds of sheep decide about which group of cash hungry powermongers gets to lead your country.
Then you cry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:44:47 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »
I tend to lol and ignore some of them :-D ive known a guy since we started school, he was pro labour then pro tory and is now pro labour, basically anti whoever wins, i think he enjoys trying to be in the minority :-P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »
Yeah; I felt the same. Also, after 5 terms at university, I have the feeling that most of the profs and like ALL of the younger (aged 25-35) lecturers are mid/left - left - hardline-leftists. You never hear anyone of them leave a good word about conservative or mid/right minded people, politicians, political parties or government.
I even know some profs and lecturers who openly tell that they vote left - hardline-left and how they dislike people who vote mid/more right/conservative parties.

Not that I got a personal problem with that, as I am rather unpolitical, but I feel like being surrounded by "everything-that-is-not-left-or-even-more-left-is-shit-conservative-or-right-voting-people-are-imbeciles"-thinking people, and that kind of scares me, as I always thought a university is a place of objectivity and neutrality ...

And also, almost the same goes for most of the students who are my age or even a few years younger. "Uh you don´t vote left/your parents vote conservative? Get the fuck out of my face facist!".

I already found myself to feel really uncomfortable just because of this.

I went to Sussex University. Considered the most left wing University in the UK (Brighton yay) so I definitely got that feeling from my lecturers and the student body. Me and a few of my friends, all fairly conservative, used to find it incredibly amusing how they'd jump on every little injustice and blame the tory governement and inevitably protest about it. There are some things worth protesting about, but if you protest about everything you just look stupid and like you're there for the scene.

As for that course:
In fairness on the police front, that was probably left over from the 70's where the police were pretty notorious in this country, partly though because the criminal organisations were also notorious. Nothing really to do with Thatcher. The main criticism of Thatcher in relation to the police force is her reaction to the Hillsborough disaster.

As for the beating up minorities type stuff. I can only say I know countless people of ethnic origin who's families grew up during that time and never had a problem. Maybe the lecturer had seen to much This is England as the skinhead movement was around that time.

The communist thing I can understand being possible as many western countries had that occurring then.

Edit:

O and all those students are the ones who voted lib dem as well. So blame them for that.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 03:32:27 pm »
I don't love or hate her, but I do respect her, she stood by her guns, she did not tell lie after lie like many other politicians, she wasn't perfect and she did cause alot of bad things, but she also did alot of good. Funnily enough some guy I know wrote this list.

Things Margaret Thatcher DIDN'T Do:

1) Abandon the Falkland Islands to the Argies.
2) Cow Down to the IRA.
3) Allow 200,000+ Immigrants into the UK EVERY Year (It was between 13-50,000)
4) Institute the Human Rights Act, thus allowing murderous scum & terrorists to live here with no chance of kicking them out.
5) Roll over and allow Europe to dictate what we can and can't do.
6) Run up huge debts by spending money the Country didn't have and getting our credit rating reduced.

3, 4,5 and 6 have been done by other politicians since, I'm on the fence about 2 as it's not a simple subject. Well where 1 is concerned any of our leaders would be mad to abandon the Falklands to the Argies.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:58 pm »
+1
I don't love or hate her, but I do respect her, she stood by her guns, she did not tell lie after lie like many other politicians, she wasn't perfect and she did cause alot of bad things, but she also did alot of good. Funnily enough some guy I know wrote this list.

Things Margaret Thatcher DIDN'T Do:

1) Abandon the Falkland Islands to the Argies.
2) Cow Down to the IRA.
3) Allow 200,000+ Immigrants into the UK EVERY Year (It was between 13-50,000)
4) Institute the Human Rights Act, thus allowing murderous scum & terrorists to live here with no chance of kicking them out.
5) Roll over and allow Europe to dictate what we can and can't do.
6) Run up huge debts by spending money the Country didn't have and getting our credit rating reduced.

3, 4,5 and 6 have been done by other politicians since, I'm on the fence about 2 as it's not a simple subject. Well where 1 is concerned any of our leaders would be mad to abandon the Falklands to the Argies.
Sounds like bar-room politics to me.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 04:41:28 pm »
An impressive career, although i disagree with the policies she enacted and the course she led society down.  Economic revitalisation and the expense of thousands of peoples jobs, homes and communities.  Its no surprise there was a lot of resentment to thatcher, i also don't think breeding 'new labour' is anything to be proud of.

Hindsight is of course 20:20, but tearing up the railways, closing the mines and the heavy industry in the UK were terrible decisions all made under her leadership.
Turtles