Author Topic: Hyped/popular games you never really enjoyed?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Hyped/popular games you never really enjoyed?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 01:43:32 am »
+1
Well, i place some value on the story of a game and i am disappointed quite fast, if it has some major flaws.

One example was Fallout 3.
The intro in the Vault was great until to the point, when i have found out that my father had left me back, because he wanted to help some strangers at the outside. Great i will grow old an die in this bunker.
But as loyal child i have decided to flee and to find him (i have no clue why, he has left me behind.)
After serveral months (and a lot of side quests)  i still ask barkeepers "Have you recently seen on older man?" and finally i have found him and i still don´t no why i was looking for him.
Anyway, a quick jump to the ending, which was horrible as well.
We have killed the bad guys, but we had to stop the machine or a lot of innocents will die. The problem, the controll room was already contaminated  and when we try to stop the process, one of us will die.
Haa, no problem since i have a mutant as companion, who is immune to nuclear radiation, he could press the buttons and none has to die.
And then he told me "It is your fate to die here, i will not help you." Great. Luckily there was another companion.  (The whole thing was fixed by a dlc, and then you could survive the ending.)

The Fallout: New Veags was a way better storywise. Someone wants to kill you, you survive and track them down and find some leads to a conspiracy. This has worked great for me.

Bioshock was a bit different.
I have really liked Systemshock and have hoped that Bioshock will be something similar with a different setting and some improvements.
In the end i have got a different setting but the rest was a dumbed-down copy of Systemshock with less features.

Bioshock:Infinite on the other hand was much better. Sure, it is even more a simple shooter as Bioshock, but it has a quite interesting story and it does not try to be a Systemshock.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 06:13:39 am »
WoW didn't seem good, the mmo genre was too boring at that point, after playing a lot of Dark age of Camelot and shadowbane, etc.
pretty much every mmo like Lord of the rings, warhammer online were overhyped. they are all the same shit.
for some reason I played Vanguard for a while I think.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
Lotro was fun allthough i nev got past level 20 or something, i could walk around theplace for hours even just farming tobacco and standing randomly smoking, lots of rp aswell but my english isnt that good, i never played mmo's to reach endgame(takes far too long) i think my highest char in WoW was 30! Which took atleast hal a year at the time.  :lol:
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 12:07:14 pm »
WoW (vanilla 40man was fun)
LoL (please...)
Fallen Earth (FPS/TPS sandbox MMO fallout-style)
Dungeons & Dragons Online (getting old and no sandbox)
Everything Star Wars (getting very old)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 12:09:48 pm »
+4
Fable series
The new Xcom - sorta liked it, never really felt connected to the game thou.
Fallout 3 - Thank god I pirated it at first. Get GOTY or dont get this game at all. It crashed every 10 minutes. The first version of the game that came out. In GOTY atleast most of the patching sorted it out. But it still crashed every 1 hour or so. You could clearly see they learned a thing or 2 when New Vegas came out(different devs I know, but still). Game crashed every 2 hours for me. But now that was playable and I had fun.
Morrowind- God I tried, I really tried, not a game I like at all
Diablo III - Fcking DRM which utterly destoyed any chance of this game having a moddingcommunity. Which was basically half of the reason why  DII was so successful for so many years. All for the sake of the online marketplace that nobody even gave a single fuck about. Played it trough once and online really wasnt as fun for me as it was cut out to be. Also the skilltree was seriuslly lacking compared to D2. And theres no way to fix this cause suprise suprise DRM destoys mods. So the games value isnt going up now either.
LoL - I know(well) 3 people atleast who play this. I dont get why? Also im 100% sure that those guys are virgins for life. LoL-s community mainly consists of virgins....

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 12:21:16 pm »
New Xcom (feels just so shallow after playing UFO series), AoE2 (loved AoE3, though), Civilization series, Company of Heroes (Dawn of War forever), Endless Space... I guess Europa Universalis too, Victoria is just so much better, imho.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »
I guess Europa Universalis too, Victoria is just so much better, imho.

Wait, what ?

There's like, almost no difference.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »
What. Have you even played Victoria games? O_o

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
What. Have you even played Victoria games? O_o

I played Victoria 2, not the first one.

Actually I prefer EU3 because geopolitics are much more complex when you have hundreds of independant nations. Victoria, due to the context, feels very blockey and choosing a starting country usually means choosing between roflstomping and being roflstomped.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 03:09:38 pm »
+1
Lol, my list would be long, I can literally copypast the list of most popular games here.
Dota, Warcraft/Starcraft, Assassin's Creed, Crysis, CoH, Warhammer, Diablo, Call of Duty, World of Tanks etc.

PS: oh, wrong thread... It's topic says "Never really enjoyed", and I never even played those games :D

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
+1
Starcraft 2. I played the singleplayer and enjoyed it, but I played 1 game on multi and that was it. It reminded me of why I could never stand RTS's of that type. Memorising a build order and ensuring your the first to rush the enemy base within 10 mins of the game is not my idea of fun. Much prefer making it to late game.

yup, fuck that.

sorry but off-topic:

I actually still play this
(click to show/hide)

max units 12000 and maps like 10 times bigger than the largest SC map. the game is like 15 years old and still beats the hell out of most other RTS

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
LoL-s community mainly consists of virgins....

...and pre-teens (you don't have to be pre-teen to be a virgin, some pre-teens have even lost their virginity)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:35 pm »
+1
yup, fuck that.

sorry but off-topic:

(click to show/hide)

max units 12000 and maps like 10 times bigger than the largest SC map. the game is like 15 years old and still beats the hell out of most other RTS

O crap I forgot about Cossacks. Used to LAN it with my Dad. It was a brilliant game and you could have some seriously nice battles even then. Must download that sometime.

My favourite was the one ridiculously big ship that you could bombard places with. The cannon cannister mechanics were always amusing as well. Fire one shot of cannister and watch half that unit vaporise.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 08:27:56 pm »
(click to show/hide)
LOL, it's actually one of the few games I still play beside c-rpg. Yes it is 12 years old but still popular. Do you play using GameSpy or GameRanger?

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:29 am »
LOL, it's actually one of the few games I still play beside c-rpg. Yes it is 12 years old but still popular. Do you play using GameSpy or GameRanger?

uhm i cant make either the pirate version or the legal steam version to work online >< incredible annoying. i bought the steam version exactly cus i wanted to play online. i dont know what is wrong i think its some version issue. anyways, ive given up and only play skirmish or LAN (we have had some insane matches in LAN, some times the match were going on for days xD)

have you tried and can recommend any of the new cossacks?