Author Topic: the New tyranny of NA :evil:  (Read 11191 times)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Re: the New tyranny of NA :evil:
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 06:33:34 pm »
+2
Perhaps a general rule of treating others with respect, whether directly or indirectly.
no, No, NO.

The intent of that statement was to provide a concrete, objective rule to follow.

There is no way to correctly tell every time whether someone is respecting another.

There is a way to tell whether someone said a banned word or not.

See, I don't give that many fucks about the actual ability to say shit or not. The only thing that upsets me is I can't say "dayum nigga" or "sup nigga" or whatever. Doesn't upset me that much.

What upsets me is the fact that the rules are subjective and each admin can apply them differently. If you're attempting to create an atmosphere in which nobody's feelings can be hurt, you must make a concrete, unchangeable list of things you can and cannot do.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:03 pm »
+2
Some Racist terms for "whites"
(click to show/hide)

Theres probably a few others out there but you get the point. There's no such thing as a "Clean" race. Every race has a term for every other race.

There should be a public list(like mine) on words that are not allowed regardless of context. So that we can then argue not about the intent to ban but about what should and should not be on that list.

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

The word "my old friend" is a derogatory term to LGBT people and it has been expanded to be a general insult, do you not see how that is extremely disrespectful and offensive?

You don't go call people "friend" instead of "asshole" and then say it's ambiguous and you didn't mean offense to black people do you? Although I wouldn't altogether surprised if you or other people in this thread did considering your opinions.
My last post in this awful straight white male privilege thread, but please try educating yourselves on these issues before posting about how things aren't offensive. They only aren't offensive to you because you don't have to deal with these things.

anders: you don't get discriminated against in the same way for being a "yankee" it's not the same at all, but a list of the real offensive words would probably sit better than a "respect people" rule, given this community doesn't understand that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:51:30 pm by BADPLAYER »

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Groovy Ghoulies
  • Game nicks: Aiyasha
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:07 pm »
+2
I think aiyasha's point is that different words effect people differently. Calling someone a bundle of sticks, nerd, chink, slut, etc. can all have the same effect on different people. If you are going to ban someone for saying one (some) of these things, you should be banning them for all of them.

Thank you, exactly. Hence my earlier question of "where do we draw the line, and why is it okay to draw the line there?"

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Groovy Ghoulies
  • Game nicks: Aiyasha
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »
+2
My last post in this awful straight white male privilege thread, but please try educating yourselves on these issues before posting about how things aren't offensive. They only aren't offensive to you because you don't have to deal with these things.

Basing your argument off assumptions won't win you any points, especially if you're going to pull the 'white straight male' card. It's not an argument, it's a cop-out for why it's okay to speak derogatory terms towards white people but it's wrong to do it to anyone else.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
+1
anders: you don't get discriminated against in the same way for being a "yankee" it's not the same at all, but a list of the real offensive words would probably sit better than a "respect people" rule, given this community doesn't not understand that.

Yes, And some americans take being a "Yankee" with pride.
I mean, in just the southern US you got:
Redneck, hick, and trailer trash(This can be more, but is refrenced to whites), as derogatory terms.

So, it would be best to have a list over an ambigous respect rule, at least for NA servers. We all, for the most part, read, write and speak English, unlike the EU servers, and we thus understand each other more. So A list of offensive words would probably be better and easier to maintain and enforce over a more ambiguous rule. That rule should stay for EU as they are Multi-lingual, but for NA, we should.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:48 pm »
+4
Sandersson's selectable chat filter would be the best bet here in my opinion. Make a big list of all the words the devs and admin team don't want being said, and make it an option for people to have them filtered out in game. It isn't a perfect solution, but at the least it is fair and consistent.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »
Sandersson's selectable chat filter would be the best bet here in my opinion. Make a big list of all the words the devs and admin team don't want being said, and make it an option to have them filtered out in game. It isn't a perfect solution, but at the least it is fair and consistent.

Ever since I saw that Suggestion, I've actually been in agreement over it. I mean, we got words that we can all pick and easily add to the list. As Time goes on, we can also add more to list(like words that bypass filters such as F@gg0t or fgg0t, etc)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 06:53:06 pm »
+2
Sandersson's selectable chat filter would be the best bet here in my opinion. Make a big list of all the words the devs and admin team don't want being said, and make it an option for people to have them filtered out in game. It isn't a perfect solution, but at the least it is fair and consistent.

This guy took me mediocre suggestion and made it a lot better.

I respect people's desire to play the game without fear of becoming upset at what they consider to be offensive; but I do not appreciate people's ability to have fun with their friends to suffer because of it.

Many multiplayer games have a chat filter that is optional. Put that shit in, yo. Hell, put in a feature that automatically LOCALLY mutes players that say forbidden words. I'm sure folks that would enable the feature wouldn't want to hear anything from someone they consider to be a bigot anyway.

No more posts from me, I'm actually feeling a lot of nerd-shame at posting so gat-dang much in this thread.

The most important thing that should be gathered from this thread is this:

OP, you're an absolute disgrace for having the name that you do. Downright shameful.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »
Some Racist terms for "whites"

I'm really surprised this didn't happen earlier in the discussion.  I'm out for now, only so much I can handle.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:45 pm »
I'm really surprised this didn't happen earlier in the discussion.  I'm out for now, only so much I can handle.

?

Are you saying that there's no racist terms for whites? The Point I'm making is(in that post), that there's no clean race, and you should make a list of words(like that) to be blocked or muted or banned or w/e for the game. No more of this Pussyfooting around and it's not offensive to me, context is important BS.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »
+1
I think we had more people leave from Donkleaps's Heavy chat regulation than from chat crazyness/sexisim/etc etc....

I can't remember when he took over but I think that was closer to when NA finally got an official server. 

With multiplayer games, especially free ones, first impressions are really important because you generally see the largest populations at first and then they generally drop off over time because there's so many games out there.  My first impression with this one was a fun medieval combat game unlike anything else out there....but you had to sit through the racist/homophobic chat to play it.

This is a free mod so it's up to the developers to do whatever they want but if there was a situation where money was on the line it'd be best to create an in-game environment that's not going to turn away potential long-term subscribers.  If a game is really good I can't imagine anyone saying, "Aw, fuck this golly, I can't call muh buddies bundles of sticks?  Der taking away muh rights, I'm not playing this!".

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:30 pm »
+3
wait wait, lets get back on topic...

NA ADMINS BADMIN GRRRRR RAWR /GNASH TEETH

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »
Yea, but Donkle went heavy handed on more than just hitting words like friend. He went towards plain old curse words to, such as fuck and shit as well as names of people.(and some not even offensive names!)

But that's a different story.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:36 pm »
Yea, but Donkle went heavy handed on more than just hitting words like friend. He went towards plain old curse words to, such as fuck and shit as well as names of people.(and some not even offensive names!)

But that's a different story.

Yes, he tried to make it a christian server. Even banned a guy for having the name "pike bastard". Despite there being weapons in the game such as the bastard sword and heavy bastard sword.

But yes, it was right around the time that the official server had popped up. However, donkleaps rules pushed a lot of players to the other server.