Author Topic: 1H+Shield is op.  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: 1H+Shield is op.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 02:39:13 am »
1. Never Stop Swinging

That's 1h tricks. dat left swing :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline sumusiko

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:32 am »
The problem I face the most with 2h is that if I spam swing like most people say the moment some1 blocks I'm instantly dead

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:31 am »
+5
The problem I face the most with 2h is that if I spam swing like most people say the moment some1 blocks I'm instantly dead
You usually want to avoid getting into 1v1 combat in battle. Stick to teammates and try to overhead enemies who aren't looking at you.

If you get in a 1v1 with a good player, you are going to need to be able to block in most cases. Spend some time in duel working on your blocking ability.

Also watch this. It's a little cheesy, but it's the only comprehensive video tutorial on Warband melee mechanics.

Offline sumusiko

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:55 am »
+1
Im gonna respec 1h + shield 2h is shit unless you play this ever since you are  born

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
+6
Im gonna respec 1h + shield 2h is shit unless you play this ever since you are  born
Be aware that playing 1h as a new player has its own set of unique frustrations. Until you pick up on footwork and proper camera control, you are going to find yourself constantly glancing and getting spammed.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:28 am »
+2
1 hand + shield teaches you to be a lazy player imo. Don't worry about how OP or UP something is though, if you have to manually block you will learn positioning, team fighting, fighting outnumbered, fighting ranged etc faster than someone who uses a shield. Whether something is OP or not is hard to call though and depends on a lot of circumstances.

Personally I feel EU1 meta has favoured shielders for a long time, but people resist against the meta because it makes the game more bland. People play M&B for the unique combat mechanics, and its like removing one of the key features to use a shield. The recent buffs were totally unneeded, but balance in cRPG has always been one the dev's weak points

Yet playing shielder makes you unable to access the most critical of lazynesses : weapon lenght and damage. Not having those can be extremely frustrating for a new (and old) player since most enemies will try to exploit it to the bone. At least with a 2h weapon you can sneak in a few very powerful hits without blocking and that might earn you a kill or two. With 1h weapons you have to be closer and very lucky to do the same, and that implies an already good build, which new players always lack.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:17 am »
+3
For starters shielder is easier. This is imo how the skillcurve works

(battle-wise)
noobs :arrow: 1h+shield is OP vs 2h
medium players :arrow: both can be rather equal
Pro players  :arrow: 2h need a better overview of the battlefield to do as well as a pro shielder (or he will get shot/ ganked), apart from that he is an equal.

(duel-wise)
Noobs  :arrow: shield is OP
medium - pro players  :arrow: 2h OP
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 10:52:53 am »
I agree shielder is propably best to start with. Try to improve your footwork while with shield, manual blocking will be much easier once you learn to position yourself properly. But sooner or later it's better to practice manual blocking or you'll be stuck with shield forever. If you decide to stay with 2h, I'd recommend greatswords. Those are very good for sneaking in stabs past friends if you stay near teammates, and with the range benefit you're less likely to get spammed to death.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 11:13:21 am »
+3
From what I've read now it seems the majority here thinks that 1h is some kind of easy mode. Which has truth for the new guys but lacks the further you proceed.
I think that it's way harder to become a good shielder like Dahli than a good 2h.

Just my 2 cents...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:56 am »
sumusiko, I can understand your frustration. I have two advices for you:
-Go for a more str based build if you're going for a shielder. Get 7 power strike minimum or you'll experience an even worse frustration. I'd say go for heavy str and try to play with low athletics, this will make you hit harder and will be a faster way of practicing the footwork. Also get 5 ironflesh minimum. That way you'll survive more and can have more time to learn.

-Go play singleplayer. Play a lot in arena training fights, with manual blocking option on. That way you'll learn how to manual block much more easier and faster.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »
+1
Worst thread ever.

2H is strong and fast and long and high damage and has instant block unlike most shields and never gets stunned and is comes with a wide variety.

The skill required to get a few kills as 2H can be learnt by anyone in 3 hours never having played warband it is that easy. 1H still need to land hits and for a new player the pitiful damage, piddly reach and weak animation that effectively slows the weapon are often too much.

At least as 2H they can get the first swing in. Better to be a glass cannon than to never fire as so many new players do when they play sword and board.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 03:59:53 pm »
+1
Lock this thread for jerkoffness

Offline Perverz

• Earl
  • Renown: 381
  • Infamy: 180
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Barabe_Perverz
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »
+1
uninstall game
BARABE:
those without the necessary properties of good in human society, coarse, vulgar and violent man, scumbags

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »
+1
Honestly Warband SP is an excellent game as is. Just play that with all the hardest settings (except speed which should stay medium). Also, play on public Native MP servers to learn the MP basics.

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
From what I've read now it seems the majority here thinks that 1h is some kind of easy mode. Which has truth for the new guys but lacks the further you proceed.
I think that it's way harder to become a good shielder like Dahli than a good 2h.

Just my 2 cents...

+1 from me. The fact that you can block without caring for the direction is Imo the only advantage a shielder has and as soon as it breaks (which it will sooner or later) this advantage is gone. Your shield makes you slower (as a shielder you're usually slower than your 2h opponents) and the correct footworkj is hard to master.

Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.