Author Topic: What's with all the stake hate?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
Re: What's with all the stake hate?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »
+1
Baby, I'm a butta yo bread

I don't suppose you have a fresh pair of underwear I can borrow?

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »
+5
I am actually all for buffing siege shields or making them 1 slot.  I seem to be the only one that uses them. :)  I'd love to take 2!

And there is the problem. Nobody uses those "field fortifications", which is really disappointing, as they are a great tactical addition. But I guess that's the reason: using it requires a sense of tactic and teamplay. Nobody uses those items because they don't smash the skulls of your enemies, increasing your kill count and letting your e-peen grow.

I think to motivate some people to bring those items again, we need to do a few things:

- I actually agree that it would be nice having stakes being only 1 slot, just to see more people use it, but I could also accept 2 slots. On the other hand I think siege shields could really be one slot. But having them 3 slots is basically retarded, as literally NOBODY would bring them. But I want to see those battlefield fortifications every round.
- Remove upkeep or lower it considerably. Those people who do have spare slots for those items usually move at the maximum of their upkeep budget, due to heavy Kuyak armour, face helmets and expensive two handed weapons.
- Lower weight. Yes, I think this should be done. The additional weight only affects the beginning of the round, not the middle or the end, where you are fighting and need fotwork, as you place those items at the beginning of a round. Knowing that you might be slower than the rest of your team and represent easier prey for archers and cavalry does not really raise the popularity of those items.
- Perhaps make placing those items raise your score by a few points. I think this is justified in any case, because you contribute something to your team, pay with slots, upkeep and weight, and should get some reward for it, aside from raising the chances for winning the round by a tiny bit.

Regards, Joker, who is still naive enough to think that you could and should put more teamplay in that game.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »
+2
Yes, make it so you get points for throwing fortifications so semenstorm can whip up a weapon rack and spam them for points! So we can be rewarded for our teamwork
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 09:43:19 pm »
+1
Yes, make it so you get points for throwing fortifications so semenstorm can whip up a weapon rack and spam them for points! So we can be rewarded for our teamwork

Haven't played since the update, but the first thing I though when I saw the changes was oh boy weapon rack fueled fort building. Maybe a balista or two as well...

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
+1
- I actually agree that it would be nice having stakes being only 1 slot, just to see more people use it, but I could also accept 2 slots. On the other hand I think siege shields could really be one slot. But having them 3 slots is basically retarded, as literally NOBODY would bring them. But I want to see those battlefield fortifications every round.

Did you read my suggestions in my last post just above?

- Remove upkeep or lower it considerably. Those people who do have spare slots for those items usually move at the maximum of their upkeep budget, due to heavy Kuyak armour, face helmets and expensive two handed weapons.

Upkeep is fine, it's not like it's c-site high really...

- Lower weight. Yes, I think this should be done. The additional weight only affects the beginning of the round, not the middle or the end, where you are fighting and need fotwork, as you place those items at the beginning of a round. Knowing that you might be slower than the rest of your team and represent easier prey for archers and cavalry does not really raise the popularity of those items.

Hmm teamplay? If you want stake... protect your engineer until they can get their job done... weight is fine!

- Perhaps make placing those items raise your score by a few points. I think this is justified in any case, because you contribute something to your team, pay with slots, upkeep and weight, and should get some reward for it, aside from raising the chances for winning the round by a tiny bit.

Agree, point system is still not balanced... nothing new here...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:44:44 pm by Dach »
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2013, 11:25:36 pm »
+1
1. Actually I wrote it to support all the other suggestions which went into the same drection, including yours.

2. Still it could be a little bit less, as it's not comparable to paying for armour, weapons or horse.

3. I want more people to use construction items. Do you suggest people who want to use them to rely on teammates for protection?  :rolleyes:  :P

4. Thanks  :mrgreen:

Offline Dach

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »
3. I want more people to use construction items. Do you suggest people who want to use them to rely on teammates for protection?  :rolleyes:  :P

Yes, I'm in a clan called the Fallen Brigade... :wink:

You know the clan that got archery nerfed because we were teamplaying to much...  :rolleyes:  :lol:
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2013, 01:18:35 am »
Yes, I'm in a clan called the Fallen Brigade... :wink:

You know the clan that got archery nerfed because we were teamplaying to much...  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Actually I am not that into that whole clan lobby thing...  :?

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:27 am »
+2

Just happened to me, my horse die in the middle of nowhere... in the split second I'm falling down i'm seeing spike coming up from the ground.... bullshit!  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Seems you have activated  my.... TRAP CARD

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:02 am »
Actually I am not that into that whole clan lobby thing...  :?

No I think he means his clan was so good at using team tactics with archers that there was an outcry and it got archery nerfed.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2013, 01:38:32 am »
No I think he means his clan was so good at using team tactics with archers that there was an outcry and it got archery nerfed.

Well, then I still think he didn't make a point. Not everybody is in a clan, and I don't see why people always think that without a clan teamplay is not possible. I know several games where some random people connect and immediately know what's to do and which tactic is to be applied, completely without the game telling you or voice chat or something like that.

The fact that the Fallens and other clans use teamplay does not mean that a random player will suddenly equip items which require his teammates to protect him. Most players lack that kind of naive and unrealistic thinking.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2013, 02:44:27 am »
cause there laggy as fuck and glitchy

Offline Dach

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2013, 02:45:07 am »
+1
I'm not saying randomers cannot do teamplay... but if they want to do teamplay they need to coordinates their efforts...

Which goes back to people protecting the engineer IF they want to have the stake protection.

If all the hero goes out charging like mindless robot on a mission for blood... they don't deserve the benefice of the stakes.

This is why I'm against reducing the weight on them.

------------------------------------------------------

By the way did you know that archer main weapon weight as much as these stakes... (bow + 2 stack = Approx 23 weight)  :rolleyes: :lol:

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2013, 03:44:57 am »
+1

"It got nerfed because of the whine" is a poor excuse commonly used by the whiners themselves or by people who have no idea about the balancing process.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:14 am »
+2
I just wanna point out that those stacks are now my formidable Anti-falling damage Magic ice soft cushion!! Perfect for sneaky attack!

(in straight word : I throw them before jumping and I take no fall dmg! and YES THIS IS AWESOME!!)

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"