Author Topic: Tha Sword a tha North  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: +3 Destrier (+unloomed sales)
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 02:36:04 pm »
Hey, yeah don't worry about replying right away.  I had a crazy weekend, so stuff just gets busy sometimes.  Also, this is still technically a marketplace thread so I may bump it from time to time.  :D

A swashbuckling build is interesting!  Usually the only time I am "swashbuckling" is when my shield breaks. :)  Still, if I was to play a build like that, I would probably take armor that is protective, but not too heavy as to slow you down too much -- since you're using a 1h and need to get a little closer.  Maybe something in the heraldic mail range.  Although if you are good at blocking you could go a light as an Aketon or something if you wanted a more mobile character.  I feel like if you went with really heavy armor with 4 athletics and a 1h weapon...you might not have a good time.  Feel free to experiment though!

At the same time, I would take heavier gloves because they won't weight you down terribly.  Also a decent helm, maybe something 40-50 armor.  For boots, I've heard people say how important they are but I really don't prioritize leg armor.  Legs take less damage and get hit less.  I try to have 80% of my body total armor on my legs.  For example if I have 38 body armor including my gloves, I'll try to have about 30 leg armor.  I wouldn't be upset if I had only 25 though.

That is just my overall armor philosophy though...good body armor that's not too encumbering, strong gloves and helm, and ok leg armor.

Hey, do you have much experience with cav?  If you can see the topic of this thread change you'll see I just got a +3 Destrier.  I'd like to give it a spin (my current character has 5 riding soon to be 6) but I have one problem...I don't have a lot of money!  I've only got about 32k in the bank.  Do you have any tips on not going poor? hahaha.  Maybe I can bring out the horse only when I have a mutli...

Offline Man of Steel

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Linux, Traitor
Re: +3 Destrier (+other sales)
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »
You sell the +3 Destrier on me?   :?:
For fuck sake Linux, fix your signature.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:01 pm »
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean!  Are you someone that contacted me on the marketplace page?

Are you wanting me to sell it to you?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:11:40 pm by Garison »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:24 pm »
Actually the STR swashbuckler was for siege mostly (too bad there are no naval battles). As an infantry I won't even bother going to open field battles with high strength and no shield. Hoplites are the best type of infantry for field battles. They can simply deal with everything. Other infantry types (mostly no shields) are much better for siege. Shielders can be good for both.

The principle used in this 27-12 swashbuckler build is, actually about the uniqueness of onehanded weapons. Even without the shields, one handers can be the best weapon in very tight formations. To hit hard, more str is always better. Since you do not need to have a shield to gain benefit from such situations, extra stats became more useful than the ability of grabbing a shield. Besides, shields slow you down. So the build actually has the same movement speed with the classic 21-15 shielder actually. But hits significantly harder. This is what makes swashbuckler unique and more effective. I used very heavy armor with it, because it is a STR build. These statements might sound contradictive, but they are true I can assure you :D

My philosophy with trying out builds are, comparing apples to tomatoes. If I am going to try a build, I think if it is less useful than a HA. If I think it can't be as worse as HA, I go try the build. After all, I know there are less useful "viable" guys than me there.

I will try your tips about this polearm build. Can't wait to have the time to try it out!

Hmm. About the horses; I'd say destrier has it's place. It's a hybrid horse I'd say. A total hybrid of light and heavy horses. People tend to complain about charge nerfs to light horses, but this nerf looks only bad on paper. Horses are as good as you can expect them to be. Besides, I just played some WFaS nowadays. The horses there has low charge damages as well, and the playerbase never seems to find them "weak" at all.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 02:33:00 pm »
b-bump

Offline Penitent