Author Topic: Strat killed it?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Strat killed it?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »
+2
The Fallen 8v8 tournament, my best memory together with the last man standing + duels event.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:14 am »
+4
This may be an old members only / "CRPG sucks now" thread, so I could be totally out of place, but I just want to interject as a new player.

Why are you all still here? Is this game that has gone so far downhill still so much better than every other game available that you have to keep playing? I don't really get it. NA siege has pretty small numbers, but other than that, I generally find the servers well populated, and stat battles? Damn, I usually can't even get into them, they're so overloaded with mercs, and when I do I have the time of my life. Is 30v30 really that unsatisfactory a fight for you? Because I feel like that's what I'm constantly seeing, minimum, and strat is even larger.

Now, maybe your comments about decreasing playerbase are just a throw-away, and it's really the quality of those fights that you're bothered by. For my part, I've been doing the same things since day 1 (which wasn't long ago for me) - big melee axes, and little throwing axes. I've read a million threads about how my own tools, and those wielded against me, all need to be buffed and nerfed. I've even written my own suggestion threads offering some mechanics changes that might spice things up. But at the end of the day, I acknowledge that none of this is necessary - what we have at present appears to work just fine, and then some. I mean, don't you people manage to kill me constantly? Don't I manage to kill you about half as often? What is so fundamentally different from the old days? Lolstabs, bendy-lances, you name it - nothing, and I mean nothing, has proven to me to be such a problem that I can't overcome it as my skills improve.

Has it occurred to you that this mod "just isn't the way it used to be" because nothing is ever the way it used to be? Teenagers want to get naked and bang 10 times a day - Old people lose interest in sex - do you think that's proof that god over-tweaked the mechanics behind sex and ruined it? No, it's just the way of the universe. Things grow stale. It's sad, if you choose to view it that way, but it's a part of being human.

I think back on my times playing Ultima Online when I was in 5th grade, and I remember jubilation, glory, terror and raw excitement. I think of my guild dungeon-delving, hunting dragons, and getting murdered by a bunch of dickbags out of nowhere. I think of dueling, win or lose, and finishing with my heart pounding in my chest. Last summer I went on a player-run server dedicated to recreating the 1999 UO experience, and guess what? It sucked. The same exact game. And I bet that if you guys found some 3rd party 2010 CRPG simulator with all of the old rules, you would find it just as stale as you find the 2013 version we're all enjoying today.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:01 am »
+1
Why are you all still here? Is this game that has gone so far downhill still so much better than every other game available that you have to keep playing?

I haven't read the rest yet, but yes, pretty much this. Not so much downhill obviously, the mod itself improved a lot, with only a few unlucky additions, but the community as a whole did not improve. Or rather, got too good at this. Warband was obviously not designed with everybody blocking everything in mind, and it shows.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:11:41 am by Kafein »

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 12:25:53 am »
Well, I never cared much for strat so I ended up with a class thats mostly useless for big strat battles but works just fine with 20-60 players on eu1 - can't complain really.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:23 am »
+1
well
im in here for almost 3 years and yet still after constant playin im still here.....
Its 3 years of crpg i think thats pretty much the Issue for all of u/me :!:  i agree that cRPG begun too die when the Clan Events,especially Fallen and Multi Clan Battels,dissapeared...(Best Time of the Mod...)
I never was into Strat ,till this Version, and still was satisfied with the Game even after all the Clans Events and my Clan i taked part with it in were gone.And i think alot of guys were/are the same hopeing that it would return...
But it didnt and so the Clannumbers were decreased and so the Playerbase...
Ofc. Strat influenced the Balance but i not think ina bad way.The way of Balancing probably was wrong(akay NERF THE BUFF :?:)But in the end we gotted a balanced Game where every Class has its Role and cant survive without the other if played right(Strat Battels).And Strat Battels are just the ueber Nerdform of Clan Competition which need this Balance^^.
 And it is all for free ina MOD :!: :!: :!:
And while the last old Farts of this Mod still crying for Things of the Past ,they particular missed too keep/improve by theirself,still new Peopel discover the Mod and being satisfied with the Game Expierence^^Thats why cRPG/M&B MP is still fukin imazing in my eyes.
Also its an Indicator of the Potential of cRPG/Devs how fast they gained some money for M:BG xD
And everyone who played cRPG for several years and didnt donated (myself included) is just an Idiot.Their is still no friggin Game that can be compared with cRPG. :!:

And Strat wasnt killed by the Devs just by the way it was played....

greetz OD
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:35 am »
+1
This may be an old members only / "CRPG sucks now" thread, so I could be totally out of place, but I just want to interject as a new player.

Why are you all still here? Is this game that has gone so far downhill still so much better than every other game available that you have to keep playing? I don't really get it. NA siege has pretty small numbers, but other than that, I generally find the servers well populated, and stat battles? Damn, I usually can't even get into them, they're so overloaded with mercs, and when I do I have the time of my life. Is 30v30 really that unsatisfactory a fight for you? Because I feel like that's what I'm constantly seeing, minimum, and strat is even larger.

Now, maybe your comments about decreasing playerbase are just a throw-away, and it's really the quality of those fights that you're bothered by. For my part, I've been doing the same things since day 1 (which wasn't long ago for me) - big melee axes, and little throwing axes. I've read a million threads about how my own tools, and those wielded against me, all need to be buffed and nerfed. I've even written my own suggestion threads offering some mechanics changes that might spice things up. But at the end of the day, I acknowledge that none of this is necessary - what we have at present appears to work just fine, and then some. I mean, don't you people manage to kill me constantly? Don't I manage to kill you about half as often? What is so fundamentally different from the old days? Lolstabs, bendy-lances, you name it - nothing, and I mean nothing, has proven to me to be such a problem that I can't overcome it as my skills improve.

Has it occurred to you that this mod "just isn't the way it used to be" because nothing is ever the way it used to be? Teenagers want to get naked and bang 10 times a day - Old people lose interest in sex - do you think that's proof that god over-tweaked the mechanics behind sex and ruined it? No, it's just the way of the universe. Things grow stale. It's sad, if you choose to view it that way, but it's a part of being human.

I think back on my times playing Ultima Online when I was in 5th grade, and I remember jubilation, glory, terror and raw excitement. I think of my guild dungeon-delving, hunting dragons, and getting murdered by a bunch of dickbags out of nowhere. I think of dueling, win or lose, and finishing with my heart pounding in my chest. Last summer I went on a player-run server dedicated to recreating the 1999 UO experience, and guess what? It sucked. The same exact game. And I bet that if you guys found some 3rd party 2010 CRPG simulator with all of the old rules, you would find it just as stale as you find the 2013 version we're all enjoying today.

Sure, sex with a rubber is still great, but it is much better without one.  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:14 am »
+1

You make some valid points here for sure.

Ofc the mod is old and people got bored. Like Umbra said theres a limit to how much arrows each man can take  :mrgreen:

Strat was the thing that was there to keep things fresh, new and interesting, instead it became just the opposite thats my whole case and it become that way because of the shitty attitude of the players themselves. Im just sorry that the devs didn't see the potential and what good the clan battles were doing for the community, yet i know Strat is chadz baby and they all worked very hard to make it work, but not their engine, not their code theres only so much they can do.

I never ever had so much fun playing strat as i did in Fallen tourneys or big battles like Samurais vs Knights (had to play on the knight side because my bundle of sticks clan voted that way, i curse them to this day!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:)

Im currently helping Tuetten with reffing this tourney but i think its too little too late, we need something to bring the oldmy old friends back, and that think it can only be a new game at this point. Battlegrounds

p.s. yes it does feel bad when i see 40/50 ppl primetime on EU1, i used to wait 10/20 mins to get into a full 120ppl server not that long ago.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:01 am »
Why are you all still here? Is this game that has gone so far downhill still so much better than every other game available that you have to keep playing?

I'm still here because I love the people and I think the c-RPG game is brilliant, but I don't play Strategus because it does horrible things to the community.

That is why I'm still here.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 10:13:45 am »
+1

Give me back my boots :(
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
+1
Clan tournaments are some of the best if not the best memories I have from playing cRPG, especially a couple of the Fallen Tournaments in the era you mention were truly good fun.

WHO WAS THE STREAKER?

More old pictures from a Fallen Tournament:

(click to show/hide)

Ah ye' simple old times.
i have missed all the fun :(
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »
+1

I'm still here because I love the people and I think the c-RPG game is brilliant, but I don't play Strategus because it does horrible things to the community.

That is why I'm still here.

Yes i m agree about your opinion mainly ... many peoples take this strat too seriously and become different (greedy , repellent ,petty , suspicious even with your friend) but come on it s like a huge rp game. You played this stuff differently of crpg . Ok when you talk // play  Strat you could be greedy and a big liar or traitor if you want it doesn't mean you will be like it in the CRPG nor that you re a lazy bastard(even if you are also).

I see this mod like a roleplay and as any roleplay you played it like an actor. If some peoples leave their evil side dominated why not .. It s a good manner to kick up your heels
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »
+1

The big reason old CRPG was better was the community. The people were a lot more fun/friendly before. Since then, a lot of people started to take things WAY too seriously and have gone full retard. It went from, "this is a game I play to have fun" to "I MUST WINS ALL DA MULTIS!"

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »
Multis and strat, all that flows through markarth.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 05:11:45 pm »
+1
I think Tyr summed it up pretty well.

Desert/mercs/byz have lots of members yes, but the question is how many active members they got. Deserters have over 60 players....all that number really gives is overall clanepeen points, nothing else. We have like 8 players normally active and during an event like 14 is all we can push. I think thats the case in all the big clans. There is really no problem with clans whoring more players, since if they wouldnt, they would die out pretty fast, since active members become unactive quickly. And if you halfed the playerammount in every "big" clan, you would end up with lots of tiny confused and unorganised factions.

You say strat is shit. Id say yes, kinda. But you have only the playerbase itself to blame for it.  Strat is about as good as the players make it and players are assholes(be honest people). If you give them any aboozingroom, they will take it. If you give them any freedom, they will test the limits of it.....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:34:33 pm by TiberiusX »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »
+1
Just because clans are large doesn't mean everyone is in them. Also byzantium seems alot bigger due to the mass migration of nord members. Deserters picked up alot from clans that died off and mercs is an ever popular choice for elitism bullshit.
Turtles