Author Topic: Locking down your own fief to prevent an attack  (Read 12713 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Locking down your own fief to prevent an attack
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »
Or if they just fixed the item limit, problem avoided.

Or better yet (since that won't happen) arrange the "siege" equipment (currently bottom level of equipment) to be the top level of equipment.  Since that is the most important thing you need right off the bat.  If you can't access ladders or construction sites for 15 minutes into a siege, you're pretty fucked.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »
I could only imagine the moment when they can't access any melee wepens though. The city/castle/village would be taken in a heartbeat
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2013, 07:14:22 pm »
+1
I could only imagine the moment when they can't access any melee wepens though. The city/castle/village would be taken in a heartbeat

Armor isnt calculated in the equation, so at the very least you would have access to all your 1-handed weapons.  Might be wortha  try for a field battle - hobos v tramps - have 10 of each item in the game.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »
+2
considering that it doesnt fuck up for armour you would THINK they could make it not fuck up for everything else...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2013, 07:57:46 pm »
Honestly I'd give up one of the weapon slots and move it to the bottom for siege things to come to the top...

Not sure which one I'd think would be good to "give up" though...1h, shield, 2h, polearms, ranged?

My order would be (from top to bottom):

Siege equipment
Ranged weapons
2h
1h
shields
polearms

I think that would be the best for sieges, but would fuck over battles, so maybe switch 1h and polearms (most 1h/shielders can be "effective" hoplites if they needed to be)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
Honestly I'd give up one of the weapon slots and move it to the bottom for siege things to come to the top...

Not sure which one I'd think would be good to "give up" though...1h, shield, 2h, polearms, ranged?

My order would be (from top to bottom):

Siege equipment
Ranged weapons
2h
1h
shields
polearms

I think that would be the best for sieges, but would fuck over battles, so maybe switch 1h and polearms (most 1h/shielders can be "effective" hoplites if they needed to be)

you would be nuts not to have polearms available for poking ladders, horses and peoples.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:11 pm »
you would be nuts not to have polearms available for poking ladders, horses and peoples.

Yeah my revised list would be my ideal one...with 1h's at the bottom of the list (aka switched with polearms in my list)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2013, 09:10:12 pm »
+2
I would still keep ranged at the bottom. It helps a lot to defend a fief but it is not necessary. If they landed ladders on the wall while all you had unlocked was ranged... gg. Not to mention ranged can be a very big item class since it encompasses throwing, bows, and xbows.

As an edit: Only ranged can burn ranged items to the best of my knowledge (other than xbows). Meaning you would need to have archers burn bows and arrows with throwers doing the same.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:00:12 pm by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »
Well good points, not that this is ever going to happen, but if "we" can come to a consensus on re-arranging the equipment listings, maybe we can convince the devs to implement it as a "fix" to the gear being unusable?

most important: Siege gear
middle importance: 1h/2h/polearms/shield (don't care what order)
least importance: Ranged

*EDIT* Sorry for hijacking your thread, I'll start a new suggestion thread
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2013, 11:16:54 am »
+5
A better solution would just be to erase -3 and -4 items from strat.  No reason you need 8 versions of the same item.  That's what's causing the most item types.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:58 am »
+2
Or if they just fixed the item limit, problem avoided.

Or better yet (since that won't happen) arrange the "siege" equipment (currently bottom level of equipment) to be the top level of equipment.  Since that is the most important thing you need right off the bat.  If you can't access ladders or construction sites for 15 minutes into a siege, you're pretty fucked.

Pretty sure it's not something that is entirely fixable in the traditional sense.  It has more to do with the limitations of the engine or how something was coded.  Just like how they can't add more banner slots.  I still think the best solution would be to erase 1/4 of the items from strategus, as -3 or -4 anything is essentially useless.  Also, as selling gear is not particularly useful, you won't be missing out on much, economically.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »
+1
Pretty sure it's not something that is entirely fixable in the traditional sense.  It has more to do with the limitations of the engine or how something was coded.  Just like how they can't add more banner slots.

The only engine limitations that stopped banner slots earlier was that you would need to patch crpg every time a new banner was created. Now that we have the downloader, it is a lot easier to download the new banner files everytime you launch.

Item maximums is most likely a bit harder to fix then that. But I would agree, getting rid of the busted gear would help, or just fief managment outside of your fief. Could be as simple as check boxes of what gear you want in the fight, so if the enemy wins they will still get the equipment not checked off.

As far as banning for the fief lockdown, as far as I know, no one has ever been banned/punished for speculation of locking down a fief to delay. Probably has something to do with the fact that is nearly impossible to determine one way or the other of the intentions. (Thus 14 page threads about it)

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:59 pm »
+1
The only engine limitations that stopped banner slots earlier was that you would need to patch crpg every time a new banner was created. Now that we have the downloader, it is a lot easier to download the new banner files everytime you launch.

Item maximums is most likely a bit harder to fix then that. But I would agree, getting rid of the busted gear would help, or just fief managment outside of your fief. Could be as simple as check boxes of what gear you want in the fight, so if the enemy wins they will still get the equipment not checked off.

As far as banning for the fief lockdown, as far as I know, no one has ever been banned/punished for speculation of locking down a fief to delay. Probably has something to do with the fact that is nearly impossible to determine one way or the other of the intentions. (Thus 14 page threads about it)

No speculation, admins confirmed it was against the rules. In start 3 fallen got carpet bombed for doing the same thing and it wasn't even against the rules at the time.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
+1
No speculation, admins confirmed it was against the rules. In start 3 fallen got carpet bombed for doing the same thing and it wasn't even against the rules at the time.

Like I said, no one has ever been banned for this before without direct proof. When fallen got carpet bomber in strat 3, he posted on the forums saying that he did it to delay an attack, insulting the devs in the process.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2013, 05:14:25 pm »
+1
Like I said, no one has ever been banned for this before without direct proof. When fallen got carpet bomber in strat 3, he posted on the forums saying that he did it to delay an attack, insulting the devs in the process.
Zilla had been bragging in this thread about how he won't be punished... the admins asked the devs to address it and then nothing happened. We were never pushing for any lengthy ban or anything though and its been so long now... It would just be nice for devs to assure us all that strat rules still apply and future cheating will be punished.