Author Topic: Generation Experience Bonus Got Nerfed Into The Ground  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
Generation Experience Bonus Got Nerfed Into The Ground
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:24:51 am »
I just registered on the forum, for the first time, ever to post this topic.  8-)
My Generation is 11.
I used to make 10,000 experience per Tick at X5

I now make only 6,500  :rolleyes:

In my humble opinion, there really isn't much point to retiring now anymore with rates that low; even for the heirloom...   :|

Like this is a little too painful to bear.   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Much more painful than any other nerf in history
more painful than upkeep being introduce

id rather my generation number be halved than to deal with a kick to the nuts this big  :oops:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Generation Experience Bonus Got Nerfed Into The Ground
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:39:48 am »
It's perfectly simple. Let's recap:

When retirement was first introduced, the retiring requirements were higher after each generation, but the bonuses also increased with each retirement, making it all worth it. It didn't take long for it to become apparent that the WPF bonuses from retiring were unreasonable. To make up for their loss, the ramping requirements for retiring were removed.

Unfortunately, there was another oversight here -- the XP bonuses still grew faster with each generation. You (and a lot of other people) took advantage of this to retire many times over at an increasingly faster rate, to get more heirlooms and level faster.

Now XP bonuses for generations are stable, just like the requirements. Problem solved. You really shouldn't be complaining -- you've got an unfair advantage over newer players by virtue of having done many retirements back when it was easier.

Instead, be happy that your generation count or heirlooms haven't been reduced to compensate. Hey, with some luck, they still might be. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:43:43 am by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:47:09 am »
I'm going to be perfectly frank with you.

I play this game a lot.
If you think this Experience Nerf is going to reduce the gap between casual players and die-hards, you couldn't any be more wrong.

Mark my words, more and more players will stop retiring because it honestly isn't worth it anymore.

In a couple months when people start hitting 33 and 36, etc...  you will be begging to change the nerf back.

Like if I personally stop retiring and get up to level 35 (which I am already planning to do), it's going to be an absolute blood bath...

And Literally ANY new player I fight is going to quit this game as soon as they realize there's no chance they'll ever get anywhere near my generation and level without putting 10X the extra effort in

I know I'm right too.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:23 am »

And Literally ANY new player I fight is going to quit this game as soon as they realize there's no chance they'll ever get anywhere near my generation and level without putting 10X the extra effort in

I know I'm right too.

Explain why I have not quit then. My highest Gen is 3. Maybe it is that I care not for ever getting your gen. Once I hit Gen 4 I will not need to be any higher. Gen 7 will merely be a perk if I reach it, and at that point I will have absolutely no desire for anything higher. Hell, gen 4 is fine.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:05:43 am »
If a highly-skilled  generation 10+ and  level 35+ hits the battle server...

It going to be a nightmare for you and any new player; and you will definitely complain regardless of how cool you want to play it now.
Because you will not have any chance whatsoever.

I really don't think the patchmakers considered the long-term implications of this experience nerf and what it will do to the community when people inevitably stop retiring; which they definitely will very soon.

Like it works out really well for me compared to others, but I'm telling you right now that you are going to have a snowballs chance in hell of defeating me.
Players like me will be driving new players away in droves.

I'm sorry but I'd rather have new players stick around.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:08:35 am »
If a highly-skilled  generation 10+ and  level 35+ hits the battle server...

It going to be a nightmare for you and any new player; and you will definitely complain regardless of how cool you want to play it now.
Because you will not have any chance whatsoever.

And when Rhade or any of the other native players (or veterans form mods that keep the concept of melee intact) first hit the servers, they were a terror even in the mid twenties level at gen 1.
Harmless can and does still kick my ass in melee even when she is level 5.

The amount of god skill players are tempered from them fighting each other, and that they still get ruined from the class weakness, whatever that may be, as well as being a massive priority one target that everyone guns for.

I think Dan_ATS or Harmless or any of the others can tell us a few tales of how every archer takes notice of him...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:10:06 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:08 am »
Like I'm sorry, but from what you're saying I think its fairly obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Then again.. you are only generation 3, so I can't really blame you for not having the experience.

Offline hammypants

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • KANYE_WEST
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KANYE_WEST
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:29:44 am »
It's perfectly simple. Let's recap:

When retirement was first introduced, the retiring requirements were higher after each generation, but the bonuses also increased with each retirement, making it all worth it. It didn't take long for it to become apparent that the WPF bonuses from retiring were unreasonable. To make up for their loss, the ramping requirements for retiring were removed.

Unfortunately, there was another oversight here -- the XP bonuses still grew faster with each generation. You (and a lot of other people) took advantage of this to retire many times over at an increasingly faster rate, to get more heirlooms and level faster.

Now XP bonuses for generations are stable, just like the requirements. Problem solved. You really shouldn't be complaining -- you've got an unfair advantage over newer players by virtue of having done many retirements back when it was easier.

Instead, be happy that your generation count or heirlooms haven't been reduced to compensate. Hey, with some luck, they still might be. :)

I agree with Spook.

As a fairly new player, I see no reason for new players to play this game with the XP nerf. You successfully castrated the most fun and enjoyable part of c-RPG, which was the customization.

No one wants to ride 20 hours to the level 25 area where you can first start to use a decent build every time they retire.

By the way, I'm still gen 1.

- KANYE_WEST
KANYE_WEST
ALL O DA LITEZ

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 06:34:56 am »
Like I'm sorry, but from what you're saying I think its fairly obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Then again.. you are only generation 3, so I can't really blame you for not having the experience.

I have a gen 3 about to hit gen 4, a gen 3 halfway to gen 4, seven gen 2 characters, and three active alts besides that. Think of the hours of experience. I may not be a die hard, but I am hardly a newborn either.

I don't pool my gens into one thing because I don't care all that much. The moment I dueled and killed Harmless with a pike at level 17 and won was the day I knew with properly playing I can actually kill things properly, regardless of level. I have head shot characters as level 2 with PD 1 and scores kills, and I have dehorsed cavalry with but a torch (though it took several passes of them for me to hit them enough times).

I think you are over reacting.

As a fairly new player, I see no reason for new players to play this game with the XP nerf. You successfully castrated the most fun and enjoyable part of c-RPG, which was the customization.

No one wants to ride 20 hours to the level 25 area where you can first start to use a decent build every time they retire.
KANYE_WEST

Then why are you still playing?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:39:37 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 06:44:36 am »
"I don't care that much"

Yeah I don't think we needed you to tell us that to figure that one out.
Some of us actually care about this game and the community.

"Then why are you still playing"

These are the kind of statements that drive people (especially new players) away, and quite frankly if the patchmakers were like you and had your bad attitude, this game would have died a long time ago.
Admit it.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:21:33 am »
I asked why he was still playing because he is contradicting himself, and I want to know why he is an exception to himself when he said that there is no reason for new players to play anymore, despite him also saying that he himself is a new player, thus, why is he still playing?

This is like saying you should never turn left on baker street, then turning left ten seconds later on baker street... why did you do it?

This is not me telling him to piss off, this is my being extremely curious as to why he is still playing when he said that others like him have no reason to play... what is his special reason?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:22:50 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline hammypants

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • KANYE_WEST
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KANYE_WEST
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:36:55 am »
I'm not playing with the recent patch.

Man, this board is full of idiots spewing logical fallacies. :\
KANYE_WEST
ALL O DA LITEZ

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 07:38:37 am »
Don't give up on the mod man.

Enough people are complaining and making really good points about this issue that they'll have to eventually do something.

It's only going to get worse the longer the problem is ignored.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:54 am »
Don't give up on the mod man.

Enough people are complaining and making really good points about this issue that they'll have to eventually do something.

It's only going to get worse the longer the problem is ignored.

I will certainly agree with that, as the developers require feedback to improve the game.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:57 am »
I will certainly agree with that, as the developers require feedback to improve the game.

I try to give you +1 with every post you make but it won't register more than one  :(

In a couple months when people start hitting 33 and 36, etc...  you will be begging to change the nerf back.

Like if I personally stop retiring and get up to level 35 (which I am already planning to do), it's going to be an absolute blood bath...

I know I'm right too.

A level 36 player wouldn't be that much of a fright, to be honest.  I'm more scared of Harmless, Dan, and Leman at level 20 than I am of most level 30s.  What makes good players good is sufficient level + heaps of skill, whereas heaps of levels/armour + sufficient skill generally make just a competent player.  Post-patch I'm level thirty running around with 21k worth of unmodified gear and I'm getting >2:1 k/d ratio.  Were I six levels higher I'd do, at most, 16% more damage per strike or have a limited proficiency with crossbows.  I.e. I'd be exactly as I am now just with an edge in combat which is smaller than the pre-patch bonuses afforded to most top-tier heirloomed weapons.

And if ever new player retention becomes an issue the developers will just implement a higher starting level for new players.  E.g. new players start at level 15 or 20 rather than 1.  This would place new players in the ballpark of most experienced players while still keeping the feel and MO of cRPG. 

Perhaps they could do that now in a hotfix?