Author Topic: Switching weapons mid duel  (Read 1784 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Switching weapons mid duel
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:17 am »
Flamberge is sheatable in duel ?  :(

Yes :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nihtgenga

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fenris
  • Game nicks: Eldest
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
+1
For me it depends.

If he uses a 2h sword and switches to another 2h sword I am fine with it. If he uses a polearm and switches to a different polearm I am fine with it as well.

What I dont like is when he pulls out a bow/crossbow/throwing weapon when he had shown me a meele weapon before!

Don't know if this is a rule or not tho. but for me there is no freakin' point in dueling if we agree on meele (obviously to train our meele skills) and he pulls out a range weapon and all I am praciticing are my running and dodging skills. If I wanted to practice those I would just join EU 1 for a couple of minutes, not the duel server.

cheers
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:19:51 am by Nihtgenga »

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »
+2
Who cares? I'm guessing you only care because you don't want to lose points. Duelling is for practice and not for e-peen.

Offline Syls

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
  • Game nicks: Syls
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »
+4
The reason why Arathian started this thread was because I accepted a duel with him when he had a great maul out. I saw a great maul laying around the ground so I picked it up before the duel counting was finished, so we ended up both having a great maul, and then I destroyed him. Then I picked up my sword again, he start a new duel with me, I pick the great maul back again so we both have a great maul and killed him again. He complain I can't switch weapon mid-duel because it's against the rules and I tell him I don't see anywhere in the rules I can't do this.

Considering it was me using the SAME weapon as him during that duel (meaning that the first rule WAS obeyed) I really don't think I was wrong to do it. Also the fact I did it before the count was done, meaning that he was more than ready for it, only shows he's raging I got him at his own game since fighting people with a great maul can't really be considered a normal duel.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:17:20 pm by Syls »

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »
Close thread.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 12:23:53 pm »
+2
Unless you're showing the person your weapons in the duel it's not valid, if you'll be using a crossbow have it equipped or I'll call bullshit on you.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 03:58:06 pm »
+5
No following or face-hugging the other duelist before the duel countdown has ran out - either hold your starting position or back-pedal if you want some distance between you and your opponent

As a Hoplite, I wish I could write this on my shield. You longsword spammers make the start of the duel very annoying when face hugging and already spamming swings until they start connecting with my shield. Then they wonder why polearms have to be creative and do things like jump stabs or wiggling the attack into you before you can hilt slash.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
+3
Imo there shouldn't be a rule about that at all. If that happens and you can't live with the outcome, dont duel that guy again. Write down their names and ignore them the next time if you cannot live with the shame of losing some duels...
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:26 pm »
+2
Imo there shouldn't be a rule about that at all. If that happens and you can't live with the outcome, dont duel that guy again. Write down their names and ignore them the next time if you cannot live with the shame of losing some duels...
It doesn't workt that way. The only reason why you can get reasonable duels against random people in the duel server nowadays is because those rules were enforced in the past. It is what spread the so called "duel sportsmanship" throughout the masses.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
Umm yeah. How many times is there actual talk over acceptable weapon usage before challenging or accepting a duel? Almost never that I've seen. That is the only time there is an "agreement".

This idea of only being able to use the weapon in your hand at the time of acceptance is just rules lawyering by sore losers. Hybrids aren't supposed to use their playstyle? Throwers can't put away their darts and pull out a sword when you get close? Cavalry can't drop their lance and pull out a shield and sword when dehorsed?

Crazy. Just take away the whole points thing in duel. From the number of threads posted regarding the duel server lately, it appears obvious that they are causing more issues than they are being a boon to the mode.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »
+1
Umm yeah. How many times is there actual talk over acceptable weapon usage before challenging or accepting a duel? Almost never that I've seen. That is the only time there is an "agreement".

This idea of only being able to use the weapon in your hand at the time of acceptance is just rules lawyering by sore losers. Hybrids aren't supposed to use their playstyle? Throwers can't put away their darts and pull out a sword when you get close? Cavalry can't drop their lance and pull out a shield and sword when dehorsed?

Crazy. Just take away the whole points thing in duel. From the number of threads posted regarding the duel server lately, it appears obvious that they are causing more issues than they are being a boon to the mode.
IIRC, the rule was, that you couldn't switch to a weapon that wasn't visible or wasn't on you - for example, pulling out throwing axes out of your ass, or picking something off the ground. Switching to a crossbow/bow/javelin that is on your back is... fine, i guess.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
+2
Usually, when somebody does something I don't like while duelling, I finish the duel normally then I ask that next time we duel, my opponent has to respect some rule (usually the not facehugging at duel start thing). If the person disagrees or does it anyway in the next duel, I stop duelling that person. This seems reasonable to me.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 06:41:28 pm »
The reason why Arathian started this thread was because I accepted a duel with him when he had a great maul out. I saw a great maul laying around the ground so I picked it up before the duel counting was finished, so we ended up both having a great maul, and then I destroyed him. Then I picked up my sword again, he start a new duel with me, I pick the great maul back again so we both have a great maul and killed him again. He complain I can't switch weapon mid-duel because it's against the rules and I tell him I don't see anywhere in the rules I can't do this.

Actually, I killed you the 2nd time. I still said you aren't allowed to do that, and apparently I was (semi) right.

You didn't have a maul on your back the whole time, you simply run off (I chased you for a bit) to pick up a maul and then turned to attack. That is pure BS.

Considering it was me using the SAME weapon as him during that duel (meaning that the first rule WAS obeyed) I really don't think I was wrong to do it. Also the fact I did it before the count was done, meaning that he was more than ready for it, only shows he's raging I got him at his own game since fighting people with a great maul can't really be considered a normal duel.

You didn't use THE SAME WEAPON. I dueled you accepting a duel with a longsword, you run off to pick a maul.

And since when are mauls not normal duels? You idiot have no bloody clue how hard it is to duel with a maul. Go ahead and try it and see if you can get past 1600 points. But no, the only TRUE duel is being a 2h warrior with a warmask, everything else is for "noobs".

Edit: to be clear why I have a problem dueling with mauls while being a maul myself: when somebody reaches to me with an overhead and have more than 3 athletics (ie, most of people) it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to backtrack out of it. Essentially, you can just maul me to death with overheads and there is nothing I can do about it. The same is not true for you as any person with 4 athletics or more than very easily backpeddal out of overhead range simply due to me having 1 athletics. That is why I simply refuse maul duels. I have every right to. Dicking me over then trying to play it "superior" is pathetic. I duel mauls with my (1h) alt whenever I can, I don't have a problem. I simply don't do impossible duels.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:46:00 pm by Arathian »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »
Sportmanship on the internet need intensive monitoring by admin :P

Would say let people be douchebags and play the game

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »
In the wiki (remember where I saw it) it clearly wrote that changing weapons was not allowed.

Is that still valid?

Old rule from the ATS servers, before the officials.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.