Author Topic: My X-Bow needs a change  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
My X-Bow needs a change
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:42 am »
+9
Hello fellow community!

I would like to bring up a change for xbows that has already been suggested before. EU players might know me as dedicated, annoying, running away xbower (and I mean dedicated runner rather than xbower).
When I run accross the battlefield when most of the players are dead I see lots of weapons everywhere and I can pick up most of them - but not bows. Why? Because they require Power Draw. But every idiot can pick up, reload and fire a xbow.

I would like to see this changed. I dont want melee grunts to pick up my precious xbow once I'm down. I dont want xbows to be sidearms. I would like to see it as a main weapon category - not an annoying backup weapon.

So 2 suggestions have been made so far that I would support:

1. Add a WPF minimum to each xbow
Hunting Crossbow: 60
Light Crossbow: 90
Crossbow: 115
Heavy Crossbow: 130
Arbalest: 145

2. Add a skill "Power Reload" (similar to Power Draw)
Hunting Crossbow: 1
Light Crossbow: 2
Crossbow: 3
Heavy Crossbow: 4
Arbalest: 5

The numbers mentioned above are examples - I do not want to discuss these numbers but the possibility of making xbows less of a sidearm and make it a weapon category that is worth investing into. This might require some stat changes afterwards but some requirements would need to be changed as a start.

Please try at least to keep the start of this topic bullshit-free.

Thanks & Best Regards

Grumpy_Nic

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
Re: My X-Bow needs a change
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:41:02 am »
+1
I get annoyed when my STF thrower can't pick up an axe to throw it at someone. A bloody, 753 grams axe. with 39 strength.
I understand why you want to apply the same logic to bows and xbows.
However, it has to be said that reloading and shooting an crossbow can be done by anyone : pull a string, lock it, put a bolt on and shoot. Bows are much more difficult to handle. Therefore I would argue for xbows to stay that way.
I woulds like to see thrown weapons available to everyone though, much like xbows.

But no hard feelings Nic, it doesn't matter, this topic will die soon, the devs will never read it and if they do, they won't change shit ! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
I get annoyed when my STF thrower can't pick up an axe to throw it at someone. A bloody, 753 grams axe. with 39 strength.
However, it has to be said that reloading and shooting an crossbow can be done by anyone : pull a string, lock it, put a bolt on and shoot. Bows are much more difficult to handle. Therefore I would argue for xbows to stay that way.
I woulds like to see thrown weapons available to everyone though, much like xbows.

But no hard feelings Nic, it doesn't matter, this topic will die soon, the devs will never read it and if they do, they won't change shit ! :)
It's not about who "could" do what but about a gameplay/balance decision. And yes, xbows need some kind of restriction.

And everyone can throw things? Are you out of your mind? Get a proper build instead of the 39str bullcrap you seem to have - profit!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06:32 am »
+1

Yeah I know, wanted to bring it up anyway. One can always hope. But I dont really agree with you concerning the difficulty of handling things. Everybody can throw stuff around. And I think its not harder to shoot a bow than a xbow. I started shooting bow & arrows when I was around 10 or so. So what would further make sense is to implement restrictions (or requirements) to ALL weapons or to none.

Melee weapons - Power Strike instead of STR
Xbows - Power Reload or at least WPF
Bows - Power Draw

Or make all requirements dependand on either STR or AGI. I mean, everybody would know how to pick up a shield, a sword, bow, xbow. Whatever. Horses are something different. I think penalties for 1wpf should be increased greatly but everything should be able to be picked up and used in a very crappy way.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:19 pm »
And everyone can throw things? Are you out of your mind?
No, I'm not. Are you unable to grab a piece of wood with a sharp piece of iron on it and throw it away? Because the rest of humanity can.

Get a proper build instead of the 39str bullcrap you seem to have - profit!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Now, for you Nic:

Yeah I know, wanted to bring it up anyway. One can always hope. But I dont really agree with you concerning the difficulty of handling things. Everybody can throw stuff around. And I think its not harder to shoot a bow than a xbow. I started shooting bow & arrows when I was around 10 or so. So what would further make sense is to implement restrictions (or requirements) to ALL weapons or to none.

Fair enough, you convinced me. I can draw a bow too despite having little less than 2 hours of archery background. Why would a 40 year old warrior be unable to?

Therefore, I would argue for all weapons to be usuable, but with penalties according to wpf and str req.

Melee weapons - Power Strike instead of STR
Xbows - Power Reload or at least WPF
Bows - Power Draw

Or make all requirements dependand on either STR or AGI. I mean, everybody would know how to pick up a shield, a sword, bow, xbow. Whatever. Horses are something different. I think penalties for 1wpf should be increased greatly but everything should be able to be picked up and used in a very crappy way.

Fair idea ! It's a shame it will never be considered :)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »
+5
[...]

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
[...]

:cry:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
I believe you might have more of a chance in something getting done about it if you post this in the Melee subforum as a suggestion for the new game instead of to cRPG.
I agree with all of those, though there should still be weapons that have very low if any requirement at all (like most of the 0 slot ones)

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »

:cry:

Don't cry Molly, nothing personal :P

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:33 pm »
When u started reading this, my hand was hoveribg over the downvote button, a dedicated crossbowman wantibg a change to xboxs...then I read it. East upvote.

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:45 pm »
And I think its not harder to shoot a bow than a xbow.

But it IS harder to hit something with it. And it does take some getting used to not to get the string slapping your lower arm. =)
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:49 pm »

Did you read Bernard Cornwell: Harlequin?
Thomas of Hookton is an English Archer, used to draw a bow for all his life however he really failed to do a proper aim with a crossbow and together with his 2 archer friends he easily missed the naked guy some meters in front of him and by that he screwed up his life for some time.
It is true that handling a bow is much harder than a crossbow, however even that didn't make them being any strong. I can also handle a 2h weapon but I cant really swing it properly.
That's a 2 sided sword, you are talking about here. :D

Anyway, I like both suggestions, would prefer the second though with "Power Reload".
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
But it IS harder to hit something with it. And it does take some getting used to not to get the string slapping your lower arm. =)

No doubt my fellow ranged collegue.
I am only talking about handling it or being able to pick it up from the ground. Not hitting stuff with it. Thats why I suggested higher penalties for having only 1wpf (like increase the reticule 3 times from what it is now).

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:58:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Why can them assholes pick up my +3 Steel Pick then?
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »
cause a steel pick is just a stupid stick. Anyone can swing it.. no brain needed for that. :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 03:08:36 pm »
cause a steel pick is just a stupid stick. Anyone can swing it.. no brain needed for that. :P

Crossbowin ain`t that hard too, prolly easier than fighting in melee.
(Just wanted to point out that that part of his argument is bs :P)
But yea, going with realism doesnt help the game at all.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.