Author Topic: Polearms question  (Read 2567 times)

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: Polearms question
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:59 pm »
I suggest that you learn how to stab up in the air and drag the thrust down in your enemy.
NEVER

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »
Poleaxes
Regular poleaxe seems to be fotm or was with the blunt end. I like the versatility of shield breaking AND knockdown / plate killing on the same weapon.

Long Spear vs Pike
Two entirely different play styles. At least, from what I've gained in a group setting ("Famous" ...and trolled... NH teamwork), Long spear excels at assisting a single ally in murdering everyone. A pike is more of a group support.

In detail, I used Long Spear. Relit used Pike. When we would roll together with about 4-5 other members, we would do better if I shadowed Diggles or a mauler and helped set them up for kills. While Relit abused his high agility and longer length to move quickly within our formation getting easy hits and stopping horses.

2D Polearms.

Almost all are viable, the difference is simply min-maxing. Ashwood is a great starting one, if a bit short for the role. Long Awplike is king. Of the "New" 2Ds, I think it was Spetum that came out on top? (Blunt overhead, high stab, ok length/speed) The Partisan was the worst, technically. (Cut damage stab).

Again, all are viable if you don't min max. Don't use partisan against heavy armored teams.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »
+2
i also pick the pike when i see that the other team has a extremely annoying long spearman. I just shout in the chat that he's a fucking cunt and that i will murder his ass, wich makes him focus me instead of my team. But as i pick the pike i can just poke at him from a distance :)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 05:26:38 pm »
There was nerf to the angle you're able to turn during your attacking animation. It's now based on length and weight of the weapon, and if it's a 1H, 2H or polearm weapon. Polearm stabs being one of the faster animations leave you with only a short window of turning, and with these weapons being long and cumbersome, it does make it even worse. Considering you have to turn your weapon a bit to not glance at short range I suggest that you learn how to stab up in the air and drag the thrust down in your enemy. Doesn't require a lot of turning to avoid glancing and you'll quite easily hit the face which increases the damage multiplier.

2D polearms are still solid, but poleaxes and greatswords are better.

Thanks for that Gurnisson!  Just coming back (after 8/9 months out), I had no clue.  The explanation is much appreciated!

Poleaxes
Regular poleaxe seems to be fotm or was with the blunt end. I like the versatility of shield breaking AND knockdown / plate killing on the same weapon.

Long Spear vs Pike
Two entirely different play styles. At least, from what I've gained in a group setting ("Famous" ...and trolled... NH teamwork), Long spear excels at assisting a single ally in murdering everyone. A pike is more of a group support.

In detail, I used Long Spear. Relit used Pike. When we would roll together with about 4-5 other members, we would do better if I shadowed Diggles or a mauler and helped set them up for kills. While Relit abused his high agility and longer length to move quickly within our formation getting easy hits and stopping horses.

2D Polearms.

Almost all are viable, the difference is simply min-maxing. Ashwood is a great starting one, if a bit short for the role. Long Awplike is king. Of the "New" 2Ds, I think it was Spetum that came out on top? (Blunt overhead, high stab, ok length/speed) The Partisan was the worst, technically. (Cut damage stab).

Again, all are viable if you don't min max. Don't use partisan against heavy armored teams.

Thanks Zanze, great explanation!

Think I'll probably go Long Awpike among the 2D polearms.  I've used the regular on for a while.  Is there any big advantage to the regular (shorter) Awpike?  Cause I've enjoyed it, and it seems pretty deadly!

For poleaxe... going to go with the regular Poleaxe.

Choosing between the Pike and Long Spear... I think I'll definitely have to try both of these... in order to see which I like best.  I really like that the Long Spear has a better chance in 1v1.  But it's certainly not ideal, and I'd be much better the a backup weapon... so I might choose the Pike.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 05:35:41 pm »
Length is not always a good stat to have. Remember, the longer your weapon is, the more likely to glance at close range.
Length makes you slower.
Length usually means heavier, which makes you slower.
Length makes you glance.

However, common sense, you hit things from far.

Now, due to horses and teammates and all that nonsense, for direct battle (NA1, EU1, etc), A Long Awlpike is probably a safer choice. You can stab people before they notice you are there, and the fighting is more medium range oriented.

If you play siege, a regular awlpike is tons better then the long. You'll still glance at hug-range, but it is shorter, lighter, faster, and does more damage. (Players on siege lean toward heavy armor, high strength.) They are slower, but you don't have the mobility you get in battle due to walls. So despite them being slow as molasses, you'll still be in close range more often and you definitely want a short spear for that. Might even suggest battle fork...

In the end, you can use whatever whenever. It all works. These are just my experiences in the game and what I feel is more effective.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »
Think I'll probably go Long Awpike among the 2D polearms.  I've used the regular on for a while.  Is there any big advantage to the regular (shorter) Awpike?  Cause I've enjoyed it, and it seems pretty deadly!
the length, but damage and speed are lower. Its really something personal, i liked the long awlpike because it was so good in native, i had to adapt a but to the crpg stats, but i didnt want to let this weapon go. i had started to feel like  it was MY  weapon, however it wasnt as easy as it looked like in native.
People that played mount & musket most of the time choose for the normal awlpike instead of any other polearm because it almost feels the same.

There is no way to say what weapon is the best, i think in case of polearms, its your personal flavor and ofc also practice. The length, speed and damage just make such a big difference that most weapons can not be compared. However, i can tell you that as long you dont choose a underpowered pike, that you can ALWAYS get used to it. I never knew how to play the pike, after some time, you start to get the feel of the length and after even more time you
are one with your weapon.

Now, due to horses and teammates and all that nonsense, for direct battle (NA1, EU1, etc), A Long Awlpike is probably a safer choice. You can stab people before they notice you are there, and the fighting is more medium range oriented.

If you play siege, a regular awlpike is tons better then the long. You'll still glance at hug-range, but it is shorter, lighter, faster, and does more damage. (Players on siege lean toward heavy armor, high strength.) They are slower, but you don't have the mobility you get in battle due to walls. So despite them being slow as molasses, you'll still be in close range more often and you definitely want a short spear for that. Might even suggest battle fork...
again this is just a matter of preferences, i have always played siege with a long awlpike (never really tried normal one though, with that i would just stab in front of the enemy instead of hitting him, i havent done it enough to get used to it :P). You can even use a long spear VERY effective in siege as long as you dont get yourself into tight places :)
I use my long awlpike in battle depending on the situation, sometimes the team is just too stupid to stay together and runs off in every direction. in this case i take the long awlpike so i can get my skills in small scale battles. In big scale battles with a better team to support i either go pike or long spear. Sometimes you choose the wrong weapon in the first round, but you can always fix that in the second round
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:43:35 pm by no_rules_just_play »

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 06:25:23 pm »
Nobody mentions the Partisan.  That cut-damage stab demolishes softer targets and unarmoured horses.

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:14 pm »
I enjoy the Spetum personally. Bonsai has a +3 one that he lets me borrow. I feel empowered when I have it because of the good length, good stab damage, and great overhead blunt. The speed is nothing bad either.

I have a +3 bamboo spear though. I'll never get rid of this baby. I love 2d polearms. It's surprising to me some times how often 2d polearms outdo people on the scoreboard some times! Especially good at doing this on NA is Oohill :P Canary Aldog and Bonsai. I'm starting to get better at it as well ;)

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »
Length is not always a good stat to have. Remember, the longer your weapon is, the more likely to glance at close range.
Length makes you slower.
Length usually means heavier, which makes you slower.
Length makes you glance.

Length and weight are always pluses for polearms.

Length means that you are able to hit horses and backpedling people with other long range weapons.

Weight allows you to stun other weapons that weigh less than your weapon: this is very useful against onehanders as most of the swords weigh between 1 and 1.7, while a poleaxe weighs more than 3. You will be able to stun with 90% of your hold attacks.

YOU CAN EVEN STUN Greatswords WITH A HOLD ATTACKS FROM A MIGHTY POLEAXE!

Anyway according to some rumors you actually hit people fast if you are using a long weapon.

Back to OP questions: There is no reason to take elegant poleaxe. I am a dedicated poleaxe user. But I wouldn't advice someone who is new to polearms to start out with the poleaxe. As it is shorter than the Great Long Axe (note, GLA uses a different type of polearms animation so its range is actually longer despite the fact that it only has 125 range (compared to poleaxe's 141)

The good thing about the poleaxe is the stab, it is somewhat hard to make good use off, especially after the turn speed nerf.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:59:12 pm by Byrdi »

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:37 pm »
he was talking about a pike and indeed, if you are not used to the pike you will actually do nothing but glancing

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:22 pm »
he was talking about a pike and indeed, if you are not used to the pike you will actually do nothing but glancing

Yeah, learned that last night!  :P