Author Topic: Possible solution to future whine  (Read 40795 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Re: Possible solution to future whine
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2011, 05:58:49 pm »
I will look at this from a point of view of someone who has been playing pre-patches. I am gen 8.  Not a "famous hardcore veteran" but I saw what cRPG used to be like. I spent 6 of those gens heirlooming my sniper and the steel bolts. There have been changes throughout the development, affecting my builds, for example when the first patch came, I decided to try archery (derp). If you wiped the database, I would be saddened to see what I initially perceive to be hard work gone down the drain (the crossbow setup). However, the mod will go on, and there have been lots of improvements, like the new UI on the site, the extended (legal now?) voice commands. Weighing up some transient items against the fact you can still have persistent stats, and organise tactics, and customise your character, I would not mind losing my stuff so much. chadz this is your mod, not World of Warcraft, or contrarily, Native. So do with it what you will. I will still play, and a lot of other people will still play too.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
The problem is that the community have changed, trolling dev post were taken with a smile before, now ppl overreacted and ask for respect.

But they should respect you(and dev team ofc) for the work you do for free.

I laugh when ppl say they waste time for heirloom and shit, but you waste a lot of time coding the mod for this ppl that don't even thank you.

Yeah a wipe is needed, i will love peasant wars, but first do a wipe of this community...

Offline Liveon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • chadz...am sam, bo tak już mam.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Freedom
  • Game nicks: Liveon and... twins
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »
Advice for el perro del hortelano who howl: wipe, wipe, wipe and remove, remove, remove ...
Go play in the Native WB.
All wipe, all remove...

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »
My maior concern has never been with some advantage of my character, but about a few things being OP (like throwing). I guess resetting at every patch is the next into removing the rpg part from crpg. I don't know what difference it then has with native ?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
The big whiners for the patch (most vocal) don't represent the larger community.  These whiners (and far from all of them) seem to be the people approving this idea of a full database wipe (which you promised never to do again).  DOn't give in to them.  I actually like the changes, obviosuly some few bug tweaks needed, but a full database wipe at this point would just end up being obnoxious.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »
I have thought a long time about what caused this amount of whine. The answer is actually quite easy:

People are not looking for balance, they are looking for advantage. If an advantage is taken from them, no matter if justified or not, they whine. Pretty understandable, actually.

So, using the principle of "don't hate the players, hate the game", it's up to me to propose a solution to this problem. The only fair way (and most efficient one, too!) is to wipe the database every time new weapon stats are released. This will ensure that no one is at a disadvantage, because everyone can find the new "OP" weapon, like everyone else.

Opinions?

Firstly, thank you for all your efforts. I think its not fair however to make every1 the same again because some of us have spent hundreds more hours playing this game than others, so i think they deserve a treat, at least something in return. I have heirloomed my glaive 3 times and now i am very disappointed because i really cant afford the upkeep.

solution1: let players repick their heirlooms again, eg: my MW glaive to 3 times heirloom of any weapon of my choice

solution2: Erase the datebase completly but keep some of the generation bonus

i prefer the solution1 myself, but its up to you to decide. i sincerely hope you can make a change, this new patch is disappointing quite a few of your loyal players.

:)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »
The big whiners for the patch (most vocal) don't represent the larger community.  These whiners (and far from all of them) seem to be the people approving this idea of a full database wipe (which you promised never to do again).  DOn't give in to them.  I actually like the changes, obviosuly some few bug tweaks needed, but a full database wipe at this point would just end up being obnoxious.

<3

The whiners are indeed only a small part of the community.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »
Nope, hate peasant wars with a passion, a heirloom restat would be better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Lako

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RuConquista
  • Game nicks: RuConquista_Lako
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:15 pm »
Wipe for the wipe god!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »
eg: my MW glaive to 3 times heirloom of any weapon of my choice

Standard. When the weapons ain't op anymore, people want to grab the next one. Never fails.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 06:26:15 pm »
This. God this.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Konstrush

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »
Wipe for the wipe god!

amen!

Offline Dragonette

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
I think everyone wants balance, ultimately, and the desire for an unfair advantage is not the motive behind 99% of these "whine" posts.

The #1 issue is that people get used to the game design in terms of leveling, builds, gens, retiring, heirlooming and everything else, and then they spend countless hours developing their characters according to that design, only to have everything they've worked for pulled out from under them in one giant nuclear bomb of a patch. 

A scalpel should have been applied carefully and gradually to tweak the game over time but instead it feels as if a freaking War Axe just cleaved CRPG right between the eyes.

I am only Gen 3 and I feel like I have wasted a lot of time heirlooming my OP sidesword to Balanced, which got absolutely mauled this patch.  I can't imagine what it feels like to have multiple heirloomed items nerfed into oblivion.

It's hard to have the desire to play the game when you know it could all be for nothing in the end. 

I came from Native to CRPG as a 1h/shielder and the first thing I noticed was that archers, while still deadly, were not blotting out the sun as they did on the GK server.  Throwers were annoying but I could cope.  Calvary was annoying but I could cope with that.  I hated crushthrough/knockdown weapons but I learned to go on the offense immediately and to dodge a lot, sometimes giving me the win against a barmace user or anything similar. 

Overall it seemed pretty balanced.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:14 pm »

This

I only wish you'd bring back the long espada as it seems its the only item that strangely disapeared...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:59 pm »
Thank all things everywhere that cav lancing was fixed again:) Was some pretty pitiful looking lancing there awhile. Where onehanded cav dominated lancer cav, which just makes no sense=P

:D