Author Topic: How to reduce long spear madness?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
Re: How to reduce long spear madness?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 04:24:29 pm »
+2
I honestly don`t see any problem with the Long Spear.
Just because you think it should be used the way you want it to be used
it`s not that everyone wants it like that.
And removing kickslash ability just for a specific group of players/ weapon
seems just like bullshit to me.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
+6
Pike and Longspear are both op weapons at short distance, they are way too lethal in close combat considering how they are supposed to be used.

This is a case where we need realism.
I imagine they were blocked by simply holding your weapon out in front of you horizontally in real life as well? Otherwise one might consider your appliance of realism selective.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »
How about slowing down LS a bit?

Always thought that Pike is too slow compared to LS. Or make Pike faster...

Dun care, really. Barely die to either weapon... it's not like they're flooding the server or anything.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
15 pierce????
man pikes were used to penetrate plate armor, with 15 pierce you cant even stun a archer
Plate armor U mad. Maybe renaisance half plate used by infantry but this was not thick or protective as true plate armor. Not to mention that pike come to general use after heavy armor was phased out and last user were armored reiters  and only in very wealthy armies. Pikes more than any other weapon depends on weight of formation to be successful once when cohesion was damaged they were very easy target even for unarmored musketiers.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with pikes. DOWNBLOCK!
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 10:52:14 pm »
+2
I thought kicking is horribly underpowered now.
It is totally different kind of kicking and you know it...

In normal duel with 2 guys using multi-directional weapons you were kicking while enemy was attacking.

With a longspear you make enemy hold his block and you kick right before you attack him with LS so removal of block doesn't change anything because you didn't have to block even before the removal.

You know it but present information so it looks like kicking is still good. Manipulator...

Same with all the 2h weapons that 2h got buffed 2h got buffed...
Correction - 2h axes and 2h fast weapons got buffed but German and Danish got nerfed. Ofc you may say that they got +1 cut and +1 stab but what is the difference between 41 and 42 cut or 28 and 29 stab... There is bigger difference between 93 and 91 speed.

Imho axes are too fast and hit too hard. It is extremely easy to get accidental hit on the enemy and simply kill him.

Longsword is fast enough so no need to have HBS and longsword hits like a truck (40cut). Not to mention that with rotation speed adjustment you can spin with superfast longsword's stab like a helicopter. Totally not needed buff to Longsword and HBS. Increasing the variety among 2h weapons by making the unused ones OP isn't the best idea imho.

I have been using stats of +3 items because these ones are the stats that the items are (or should be) balanced for. For example heavy lance's stats were balanced for 26 pierce (not 23 lol).

Sorry for derailing post.

EDIT: Also it seems that some people have trouble with downblocking...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:00:07 pm by BlueKnight »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 2575
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2013, 12:30:15 am »
+2
- fixed an issue that prevented low charge damage horses to bump even when fast enough (test server only)
- fixed swing sweetspots not working (test server only)
- tweaked thrust sweetspots to prevent dealing high/full damage right after being released (test server only)
- tweaked crushthrough formula (test server only)
- added an option to turn weapon trails on without enabling weapon transparency

Done.

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2013, 09:59:09 am »
+1
I imagine they were blocked by simply holding your weapon out in front of you horizontally in real life as well? Otherwise one might consider your appliance of realism selective.

Nope they were blocked by cutting the stick in half. ;)

I never was fan of a downblock, it looks stupid and feels that way too.

I just don't like how close combat works currently with long weapons, doesn't matter what class.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:26:42 am by Von_Hazaa »

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:29 pm »
Long spears do what they do best.

Poke people in the arse. Plus there aren't a great deal of people who can do well on their own with a long spear.

Id rather encourage people to work together than play lone ranger.

We seem to have this lazy culture on video games, (and often in real life as well), where an issue that could be changed merely by adapting to counter or changing the perspective and therefore relationship to the problem, is instead taken as a cause for outside enforcement.

And this is as a man who finds his side and back often poked and prodded on EU 1.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:58:42 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Torwald

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
Long spears do what they do best.

Poke people in the arse. Plus there aren't a great deal of people who can do well on their own with a long spear.

Id rather encourage people to work together than play lone ranger.

We seem to have this lazy culture on video games, (and often in real life as well), where an issue that could be changed merely by adapting to counter or changing the perspective and therefore relationship to the problem, is instead taken as a cause for outside enforcement.

And this is as a man who finds his side and back often poked and prodded on EU 1.

(click to show/hide)

A lone pikeman will look as a paranoid squirrel that's on dope. To have some formation its need teamspeak.
And if we would simplify the tactics commands as Follow me(with a big sign at the person) or Defend here (with a big sign on the map) we would see more Team tactics!

Or the pikes should be really slow to turn with and really slow!
The moving also should be slow!
Then it's pretty clear for the player that this weapon sucks on their own.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:19:14 pm by Torwald »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 10:51:41 am »
+1
It is totally different kind of kicking and you know it...

In normal duel with 2 guys using multi-directional weapons you were kicking while enemy was attacking.

With a longspear you make enemy hold his block and you kick right before you attack him with LS so removal of block doesn't change anything because you didn't have to block even before the removal.

You know it but present information so it looks like kicking is still good. Manipulator...

Just saying, as a one hander, pikemen kicks are the easiest to predict and avoid. They are also part of the well-timed kicks because as your opponent is blocking, you don't need to block yourself for your kick to succeed (or miss without you getting hit). Do you have a lot of experience with short weapons ? If you don't, I doubt you can really discuss what kicks are easy or hard to avoid.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:06 pm »
Just saying, as a one hander, pikemen kicks are the easiest to predict and avoid. They are also part of the well-timed kicks because as your opponent is blocking, you don't need to block yourself for your kick to succeed (or miss without you getting hit). Do you have a lot of experience with short weapons ? If you don't, I doubt you can really discuss what kicks are easy or hard to avoid.
Small Necro but whatever...

On Eu3 I have been fighting with Tyr with my one hander with warhammer and I got kicked only once and still blocked that and currently on Eu3 you can still do "invisible" blocks while kicking. Don't say that I don't know how to play with short weapon or don't know how to avoid kicks.

(click to show/hide)

Skyrim UI