• cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Crushtrough broken on EU1
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:10 am »
Well, I guess this is a way of making maulers get a disadvantage for their instakills
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:31 am »
+3
The Mallet has extremely limited crushthrough capabilities now, there is very little reason to pick it over the Great Maul if you are going for crushthrough and going for the Barmace if you want a high damage knockdown weapon.

Offline Tuetensuppe

• Event Manager
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuetensuppe Tojtensoup_throwing_spoons Merc_cry_me_a_soup
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »
Mauler isn't a class. A mauler is some normal 2h my old friendgot that takes a great maul instead of his great sword to get easy kills on the siege servers.

bs...nothing else
for sure you have some guys who do that from time to time but you should not forgett that there is maybe also a group of players who go without any agi or less agi because they want(!) to be a dedicated(!) mauler and not a 2h.hero like all the other 50 guys on the server....

Really, just try it out before you make a comment like that. Your concept is that every crushtrough weapon got nerfed, which is not exactly the case.

One could say that Great maul, first and the usual choice for any dedicated mauler, is now even deadlier because, with enough PS, it still crushes trough most weapons/shields even without held attacks. Difference is, instead of pre-patch crushtrough damage of 40-60%, it will now deal 70-80% damage(which is 43 blunt at 100% and at 0.6 seconds damage peaks to 150%). Mallet and regular Maul, on the other hand, even with high PS, now act as a shorter and slower version of Bar mace because one can rarely get to use the crushtrough power without putting yourself in danger of hit, either from friendlies or foes, usually both, from my experience.

I do not think that I am especially good in melee combat, and I am not claiming that current solution is unbalanced. I would like to be proven wrong and I would not mind people suggesting me how to apply this "rebalance" of game mechanics so I can be relatively successful in combat.

Exactly what I was saying, thank you.

thats it!

i loomed a maul around 20 days ago by my own...

(click to show/hide)

and i have atm a 27/6 build(30/6 later on), so its a "dedicated mauler build", but since the changes > i suck > totally ...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:33:00 pm by Tuetensuppe »

Quote from: Gnjus
yes thats the problem, no more nice clans, everyone acts like theyre the real thing but all are just greedy backstabbing arrogant sons of bitches

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:17 pm »
+2
Ouch, I haven't played it, but if this is the case, its too much.

In all my time playing this game, I've never had a problem with crushthrough.  Its devastating and frustrating, absolutely, but it should be.  They should be terrifying - Mauls, Mallets, all of them.  We already get away with murder blocking mauls and mallets with Italian Swords.  They sacrifice speed, length, and shield capability for that ability, and can be countered with ranged, melee support, sheer weapon length, and sharp reflexes.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »
Really, trying out maul/mallet/great maul STF makes it a lot easier to comment afterwards.
I know. Sorry for not doing so :(

I will just repeat the key points:

1. Because of need to hold attack, speed stat from all mauls is made neutral - weapon of choice? Slowest, most powerful Great maul
2. Holding attack makes you move slower so opponent can just move backwards out of the danger (might get tweaked in a patch)
3. Because of held attack nerf, you have under one second worth of crustrough window. From around 0.5 to 1.2 seconds your hold will actually CT, after that, damage goes below normal, unheld attack.
4. Maul is turned into a support weapon, but try using it in to help your teammates and you will most likely get hit by them often since it is a very short weapon
1. That's what I want to fix with the slot change. If you ONLY want a maul, take the GM (3slots). If you want a maul and a 2 slot (be it xbow and bolts, 1h and shield, bow and arrow, etc.) take a Mallet, if you want a sidearm that got nice blunt damage and CT on at least some items*, take the Maul maul. The GM is the best maul, but the slots should be the main reason to pick something else. Is this not reasonable?

*Lots of light weapons you can still CT with a maul and 7+ PS. Maybe use it against those pesky wooden stick/hammer users that just keep blocking? Yes, that's VERY situational, but when it is 1 slot, you can't expect it to be badass. But it IS still 34b damage. Sure, the 2h mace might be better, but if you got a build for it, taking the Maul might be the better choice.

2. True, but this is a problem most 1hs have had for ages. If you hold an attack or feint, many people will just backpedal out of your reach. At least kicking isn't as useful now, so it's safer to go full W-key hero (which, IMO, is an actual hero compared to the S-key hero). But you are still right. Backpedaling is a pain in the arse when you got the shorter weapon. +1 if they do something about it.

3. Wtf? They changed that?`Before, holding an attack over the sweet spot only made it go down to 1.2x the normal "quickswing" attack. When did it change and what are the new values? Sorry for not knowing this.

4. Mauls should be support weapons. Same as a pike is a support weapon. The fact you could actually duel with them and not be at a big disadvantage was something I personally didn't like. Ofc, they shouldn't be impossible to duel with, but they are still better off than Pike/Long Spears, and they still manage to kill people in 1v1 when the enemy fucks up badly. Why should it not be for Maul too? Sure, the pikes got the longass reach, but the mauls got CT. Seems ok to me. But you are correct about teammates though. I got the same problem when I use short weapons with allies teamhitting me. But that's a player issue, not a mechanics issue.

The actual damage when a weapon crushes trough has been increased from random 40-60% to 70-80%, but getting to use this power is a real pain in the ass if you are owner of regular Maul or Mallet. Again, weapon mostly affected by this buff is Great maul.
Damn, didn't know that. Guess reading the changes late at night isn't the best idea. I say they should keep it as it was. The reduced damage when they CT was already in a nice spot. Although maybe giving the Maul&Mallet a small buff in this, while keeping the GM as it was, might be good.

I will also comment just "weapon slots" argument by saying that I don't remember last time I saw someone take a maul as a sidearm. Lately, though, I feel like on EU1 I am only one who even plays with a CT weapon as a main weapon these days.
You never saw all those people with a Mallet as a sidearm? Sure, there weren't an overflow of them, but there's enough of them. That warpig crossbower was really good with it. Shooting people with his xbow until someone got close enough for him to whack them with his mallet. He was always fun and challenging to fight.

As for people who use CT as main weapons. Butan and B0nk mainly use them on EU1. I dunno if you play much when they do, but I do.

Also. I just realized you might have thought I meant 2hsword and Maul maul in my last post. I meant the Mallet. Sorry for writing Maul :/ Edited it now.

EDIT: I almost forgot. If anyone is selling a +3 Mallet I would happily buy it. I've been wanting one for a long time!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »
Crushtrough deserved nerf, that's for sure, at least on siege it is just too easy to spam with Great Maul or Mallet even with 7 PS. So last change was step in right direction I assume  :P Though I don't really care, nothing in the game, neither CT nor anything else, is gamebreaking.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 06:18:08 pm »
I have more than 7ps and, without hold, archers with a Hand axe(maybe even Pick axe) block my +3 Mallet overhead(I tested last time yesterday).
I think the Maul and Mallet shouldn't CT anything unless you hold it, with the exception of very light weapons. The problem with handaxe/pickaxe is that they are 1.0 weigth, same as most 1h swords. The 0 slot blockable weapons should be easy to CT, the 1 slot weapons should not. Having a handaxe being as easy to CT as a quarterstaff or sword seems a bit silly. You agree that you should have to hold the attack to CT "proper" 1h weapons, right?

This could be fixed by lowering the weight of some weapons, but if possible I would prefer a "weakness to CT" tag or something. Is that reasonable and/or possible?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »
Crushtrough deserved nerf, that's for sure, at least on siege it is just too easy to spam with Great Maul or Mallet even with 7 PS. So last change was step in right direction I assume  :P Though I don't really care, nothing in the game, neither CT nor anything else, is gamebreaking.

The recent changes will most likely buff mauls on siege due to the increased crushthrough damage - climbing up ladders/passing doors etc. will be a lot more frustrating..

and eh guys plz stop ignoring long maul in the discussion lol

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »
I just don't see use for maul and mallet if they cant crushtrough without holds, because the speed factor does not matter than. I'd rather just take a Bar mace and stun people.
And I just don't see the use for GM if the Maul and Mallet can CT without holds, because they are faster, and in the case of Mallet, slightly longer, while ALSO being a lot cheaper AND 2 slots instead of 3.

GM is more expensive and 3 slots while also being the slowest. That is why I want it to be the best to CT with.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:39 pm »
+3
I've never played as mauler, but I've fought against them enough to understand, that they're not OP, it's just another style of fighting which often pisses off those who relies on their blocks too much, but look - it's shot, slow as hell and heavy. Also their turnspeed will be (or already) nerfed even more.

Come on, return their crushthrough back!

[/postingshithavingnoclueabout]

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »
You still haven't tried that Mallet STF?
The moment I don't have 800+ ping I will  :wink:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:32 pm »
I apologies for doubleposting but I just finished playing with my STF using a Mallet.

My build was:
30/9
10 PS, 7 IF, 3 Athl, 3 WM.
130 2h wpf.

Armour:
Sallet with Visor and Coif
Blue Coat of Plates
Mail Gauntlets
Leather Boots

Weapon:
Mallet.

Only the Body and Hand armour was loomed. Boots, helmet, and most importantly, the Mallet, was unloomed.

Now, my ping was NOT fine. It kept going between 90 and 140. For the most part it was around 110-120.

As for using the Mallet itself... It is completely viable and not much has changed. There is no reason to bitch complain about it. Sure, you got to hold the overhead to CT, but that's just fine. CT is best for the people that not notice you or are occupied with others. If I was alone or needed to get a quick hit, I still had my sideswings. Nothing to complain about here.

I would also like to mention that the strategy of doing a sideswing so the enemy has to block, then hold it, attack and block stun him, then doing a held overhead, works just as fine as before against exactly the same weapons it used to work against before, aka, most people but the fastest weapons or the heaviest weapons&shields. And for those, keep loving your sideswings. Hitting early in the swings still does a lot of damage and have the same knockdownchance as normal hits.

TL;DR:
Chill. The Mallet is still usefull.

Also: As I wrote earlier. Anyone who disagrees and have a loomed Mallet. Feel free to send me your offers.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2013, 10:55:13 pm »
I am facepalming right now. I would take picture but I'm need both my hands for this one.
Sigh. Good thing bias doesn't do anything, right?

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »
You still haven't tried that Mallet STF?

I've tried +3 Mallet STF. Not that bad tbh. But overall +3 GMaul is the way to go. Also only me missing the maul on horseback that got removed?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:54 pm »
I've tried +3 Mallet STF. Not that bad tbh. But overall +3 GMaul is the way to go. Also only me missing the maul on horseback that got removed?
Horseback maul was fun, but with CT very OP. Wouldn't mind seeing the Maul maul and possibly Mallet be used on horse though.

Also, further testing done:
These changes is actually a BUFF to Mallet. You can now CT with it with only 18 STR instead of 24 as long as you hold it. Quickswing CT got nerfed, held CT got buffed. Me like!