Poll

What Generation is your main character? (please post, but if not at least answer this poll :P )

Pre patch Gen 1 | Not more than Gen 5 now.
79 (42.5%)
Pre patch Gen 1-5 | Between Gen 5-10 now
62 (33.3%)
Pre patch Gen 5-10  Gen| 5-10 now.
12 (6.5%)
Pre Patch 10+ | Not more than 15 now
7 (3.8%)
Other - please post - (i.e more than gen 15 pre patch)
26 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Research: What Generation were/are you before the Level/Retirement Patch? Now?  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Smoketh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Ya, having played with heirlooms and now playing without, it doesn't feel like that big of a difference to me. The way I look at it is in 10 fights where you almost kill the person but get killed, having  heirlooms would chance the outcome of maybe 1 or 2 of those fights.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
pre patch i was 4, now i am 11, 3mill till 12 :) this option is somehow missing in the poll

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
If i am not mistaken ( please correct me if i am wrong ), there was "an official" statement regarding some new "skills", whatever that might be...

« on: January 09, 2011, 21:16:38 »
If people want to work towards something, I recommend heirlooms. Retirement will be back soon, and the only condition will be level 31.

I don't know if heirlooms are currently strong or hardly worth it, if it's the latter, they might get a buff. I'll check with the items team.

Also, there will be a, how should I put it without revealing too much, very special set of "skills" that you can acquire soon, in another way than simply leveling. This should make things very interesting for people that want to have more persistance to their char, without breaking the balance that the game has currently recieved (aka not making them godlike).

Now let me get back to finishing that patch, just dropped in here to announce this :).

I am not sure if that got implemented or not, may be it was something i did not notice, since i smoke lots of weed. In any case - this was a great idea!
Number of heirloomed items could be limited to 1-3, and in return, for them who has spare time to play, some items/skills that do not, in any way, alter the gameplay.
New banners/flags/battle horns/titles/hair color/taunts/silly hats/donkey mounts/golden AK47/a pet hamster on the shoulder/etc.

It would motivate the grinders, without upsetting players who "have life", and possibly offer more personality to rpg fans.

Personally, i do not feel "outclassed" by gen 10+ players right now... I might be, when they get to gen 50+ :) I never complained about fighting lvl 45+ pre-patch superheroes either.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
I play for fun and retire to make new builds... like currently every gen I lower str and raise agil by 3 to see how that effects archery... for fun...

Or something...

I did not exist before patch, and now have a gen 3 and a half dozen or so gen twos and three gen ones...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
That's funny I really like playing the game so I played a lot and retired a lot, Goretooth in earlier post mentioned he liked the game.  But then you see people complaining and getting angry at people who retired because they don't have the same heirlooms or are smug, which seems more of a grinder mentality to me.  The heirlooms really don't make that much of a difference, I just used non-heirloomed danish great sword with non-heirloomed plate mail and did better than I usually do.  I think being a tin can is lame so i don't do it too often, but most people can afford it now so if you really are worried heirloomed people have an advantage just pull out the plate and greatswords or elegant poleaxe.

sorry, it was a simple remark, there was no negative view.
Yes, i see no problem in the fact that some are xxgen, and i don't think heirloom gives a significant advantage, at least it will give absolutely no benefit in Strategus (which is what interests me).
it's the whole beauty of it, because everyone is so satisfied, the grinders can grind and casual can play with the grinders without big disadvantage. Many people say it is a failure, we can not please two extremes, but i think most people get a fair deal. You say it yourself, this allows you to play longer, change build and make test.
Play for hours and hours remain a grinder behavior, and play only infrequently remains a casual behavior
In fact they are two very different mentality, but everyone has fun.

edit : sry for off topic
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:46:59 am by Blondin »

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
keep the thread troll plz - dont want it moved to spam  :D

need a few more votes to have a sample size big enough to represent a real server (with probably 10-25% error marging cosidering the amount of people that doesnt use the forums - like new players)

Offline Deafening

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Flood, Singing, Amplifier, et al.
What the hell. I always figured that if I was at the same gen. as [whatever renowned player], I could be pretty badass too. Turns out I only need the same gen. as [random derper]. Weird.

Flood: was 3, now 3.
Rain: was 1, now 3.

That I have at least five other alts at level 28-30 is a thing, true.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Pre-patch gen 5, now gen 14.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I have been playing since before the xp-barn days. I am generation 1. I cannot be bothered to level up a character all over again just to increase a value or two by a little on some piece of equipment. Nor have I particularly noticed being underpowered because of it.

I have my build and I like it.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
gen 5 pre patch

gen 13 now

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Gen 3 pre patch.

Gen 1 Post patch.

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 17
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_TomMyyY
10 -> 21

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
5/27 main 1h/shield
3/5 alt Thrower

learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
1 -> 2 (I blame Vargas)

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
I was gen 3 before, still the same now. I can't be bothered retiring now, seems like too much effort. Retirement doesn't really properly recreate the fun stage of being a peasant and levelling up - you become to fixated on getting to 31 again so you can retire again. Making alts does though.

(click to show/hide)

I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.