Author Topic: EU Admins  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: EU Admins
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 02:21:19 am »
+1
Meow does epic job but he isn't playing cRPG anymore. I'm mainly talking about game admins here.

And you're not mouthy, you barely chat like most admins. But I like the fact that you react immediately when you see teamwounding/teamkilling/leeching.

Being admin is responsibility of players who are willing to spend time and make sure that everyone enjoys the game. Not a badge, so it shouldn't be big deal if someone else becomes admin instead of someone who is inactive/unwilling to do it anymore.

Maybe some admins think they are special parts of this community just because they have admin powers. That's just silly and immature of them.

I don't know about that last part really, personally, I would rather have someone who I might not like be instated as an admin if they do the job and they do it well than someone I do who doesn't and for the most part, I believe the guys who are around don't just wear it as a badge and do what's needed when they're there. On top of that, I covered a little bit in my edit-reply to Miwiw about covering our losses with a few fresh faces across the servers. I wholeheartedly agree with that!

As I've said before, I would be quite happy to do most of the leg-work with regards to finding suitable people for adminship but that would be down to whether or not my opinion is held with any regard or the "top brass" feel it is necessary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 02:22:25 am »
We dont need admins we got votebans and votekick polls, we need democracy naow!!1111111111

Offline Bars

• Earl
  • Renown: 349
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • My name is Bars! And your end is here!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Bars
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 02:31:34 am »
+2
This topic is useless   :lol:

Someday i get it back, and remind all of you of what you have rightly feared

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 02:33:05 am »
+2
The outcome might turn out useless as many others, but it's the real problem faced publicly and the good intentions of many that prevails.

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:29 am »
+7
Admining is more annoying than you think, its all fun to be active for a couple of months, but I can tell you it begins to wear on you. Sooooo many idiots that you have to deal with, you begin to hide from them. No matter decision you take, there is always someone making a drama thread about their ban, or hating you in future. I dont say I do a perfect job, but I watch admin chat when Im not grabbing a drink; and I stop any flamers with mutes, and tkers with short bans. More admins are probably need, but they will become old and crusty like the rest of us in short order.

EDIT: Also who do you think does all the name changes? :p They pile up more quickly than you can believe.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 02:53:48 am »
+1
Admining is more annoying than you think, its all fun to be active for a couple of months, but I can tell you it begins to wear on you. Sooooo many idiots that you have to deal with, you begin to hide from them. No matter decision you take, there is always someone making a drama thread about their ban, or hating you in future. I dont say I do a perfect job, but I watch admin chat when Im not grabbing a drink; and I stop any flamers with mutes, and tkers with short bans. More admins are probably need, but they will become old and crusty like the rest of us in short order.

EDIT: Also who do you think does all the name changes? :p They pile up more quickly than you can believe.

Yes, today I set out to clear some of the ban requests, I got through five before the first one started messaging me complaining about it, I managed 6 I think before I was inundated trying to explain the rules and reasoning behind why someone was banned and someone else wasn't. We make mistakes too, we can't catch everything and sometimes the evidence is staged so we have to account for these things.
I noticed a ban that I put through just under a year ago, it expires on the 6th of January 2013, my first essay bans (it was a pair) and that means that I have been an admin for over a year and two/three months, I can't imagine what it's like for the poor buggers who were admins before me since people don't "forgive and forget" or even pretend to understand why they were banned, they hold grudges, those mount up and you have more people to deal with, scrutinising your decision making and I can tell you that makes you think.
No one wants to be disliked and that can be rather draining so it's no wonder that sometimes people take breaks and keep their heads down until it's absolutely necessary.

That's just another possible reason and of course, not everyone has the free time all the time. Anyway, enough excuse making.

Oh, and I disagree that this thread is useless, it shows concerns of a community, whether a few members or not it still has a valid place.

EDIT: Heh, I just re-read one of your previous posts Leshma "Too nice to be an admin" - It's good to be a bastard I suppose but I don't think being nice is a bad thing, being assertive but putting things nicely without an air of arrogance or misplaced "authority" is the better way to do things. Civil is the word I'd use.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:00:34 am by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 355
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:13 am »
It's perfectly understandable what you both said. I don't mind everyone else besides me being game admin, if that means I won't have to worry about idiotic behaviour of certain players.

I've suggested replacement because devs obviously don't want to have too many players with admin powers. You know them, weird secretive people. At least now I know the reason behind all the secrecy, can't share it with general public though.

They probably won't check this topic anytime soon. Super busy and stuff. And chadz visits forum only to find something stupid and equally amusing to comment on.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 03:12:55 am »
+6
At least now I know the reason behind all the secrecy, can't share it with general public though.

You can, but then I'd have to kill you.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1685
  • Infamy: 1214
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 03:13:55 am »
That's not what I meant...

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:58 am »
+4
Meow who help with the "off-game" community type stuff, Meow is certainly hot

On a side note, how can we really evaluate admin presence if they dont wear it like a badge? (like some said)

I dont play too much but when I do, there isnt many problems to deal with (except maybe in the night, some start to do stupid things but its also funny).
But if admin presence really is as low as some think it is, sure need some new ones, even though the playerbase to monitor is quite small now.

Offline Araxiel

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 77
  • ((===||:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vincent_Ruth
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 04:49:53 am »
+2
The best type of Admins are the ones you don't know about and only produce red text when someone is breaking the rules or when they kick someone and your left like "I had no idea he was an Admin".

Then they say nothing else for the rest of the round, leaving people only to stare on and ponder as to who this mysterious hero/vigilante is.

...And yet, we all know who he is, he is the symbol of hope cRPG needs. The hero cRPG deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll ignore him. Because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A cRPG Admin.
Well I roleplayed gay for long time to get Asca attention as harmless one but it didnt help. I only attracted Tueten, Cicero and Grey Order...

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 04:55:19 am »
The best type of Admins are the ones you don't know about and only produce red text when someone is breaking the rules or when they kick someone and your left like "I had no idea he was an Admin".

Then they say nothing else for the rest of the round, leaving people only to stare on and ponder as to who this mysterious hero/vigilante is.

...And yet, we all know who he is, he is the symbol of hope cRPG needs. The hero cRPG deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll ignore him. Because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A cRPG Admin.

Gurnisson, BlueberryMuffin.
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:40 am »
+2
All this time I've been an admin I've tried to fulfill the style of admining tizzango explained.

I find it that people play quite good nowadays compared to the old. I hardly have to step up and do anything. Warning is usually enough to get the desired effect, and if it doesn't work, a few hours ban ought to do it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 09:51:49 am »
+4
I find it that people play quite good nowadays compared to the old. I hardly have to step up and do anything.

This. I'm not playing much but I hardly see people pulling shit that would need admins nowadays.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:56 am »
+1
It would already be an improvement if admins don't turn off banpolls (or sometimes even all polls) on EU_2 all the time. Ragepolls might be annoying but they nearly never pass anyway.