Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 162049 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #765 on: June 03, 2013, 12:40:43 pm »
On the official HBO forums some people really go mad and threaten to cancel their HBO subscription.

I bet it will make the views go up again times 10. They pulled the red wedding of like it was meant to be. Well done, HBO.

First I missed some tension and hints like they are there in the books, but then it got epic and it is the right decision to lull everyone in harmony on screen. And I 'enjoyed' Walder Frey a lot, what an awesome ass.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #766 on: June 03, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »
they did the red wedding scene pretty well. I think the viewers may be disappointed that a lot of the good guys die, and maybe the show will be cancelled.
the blackfish guy left to take a piss before the slaughter began, I forget if he survived in the books.

I think he gets taken prisoner or something. That was my thought. Can't remember though. I'll be watching it tonight so will comment later.

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #767 on: June 03, 2013, 02:44:40 pm »
The Blackfish isn't even at the wedding in the books. He stays at Riverrun with Jeyne Westerling.
But they needed some familiar faces at the wedding because they didn't bring back Robb's bannermen for this season (most notably the Umbers).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #768 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:55 pm »
+8
God the people whining about the Red Wedding and how it traumatized them and they're not watching the series anymore. What a bunch of weak, naive wankers. One of the whole points of the series is that it's supposed to be more or less reality, actual human beings, but in a "fantastical" setting (which is more medieval and very little fantasy anyways). I want to hit them in the face with a giant book full of all the recorded history we have of those times, maybe transfer some sort of awareness through osmosis. It's like they're surprised that life was/is tragic and selfish violent bastards often end up on top. Look at what one these retards wrote:

"i come from a world where the good always win in the end the bad dose win early and often but its call fool gold. and all i am saying is in a show were their is   a warring family you  must have one family with honor to root for. thats the good in human nature"

That's nice, the rest of us live in a place called "reality", maybe you can join us sometime.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 03, 2013, 03:03:33 pm »
+4
Looking through those comments on the HBO forum it seems like the people saying they are cancelling HBO don't even realise it's a book series before a TV show. And if they do they haven't read any of them and are honestly surprised. Even saw some guy ranting about how the good guys get killed off and yet the Lannister's never do so he's cancelling. Just have some patience dude, they get their turn!

People miss a lot of the point of the books. There is no real good guy bad guy scenario.

Offline Freland

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »
You might want to put that part about the Lannisters in spoilers Overdriven.

Some twitter reactions
https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:58 pm »
You might want to put that part about the Lannisters in spoilers Overdriven.

Some twitter reactions
https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Well it's pretty bloody obvious  :P

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
One major thing I like about the show is the lack of obvious plot armor, I, never having read the books, still expected some magic flying god to come and save Ned Stark because he seemed like such a typical hero.
Also, people can't really claim house Stark has any real major honor, I mean fucking Rob didn't honor poor Mr Frays deal regarding marrying one of his chicks.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2013, 03:18:51 pm »
+3
Also, people can't really claim house Stark has any real major honor, I mean fucking Rob didn't honor poor Mr Frays deal regarding marrying one of his chicks.

Yeah the point is they were both the architects of their own downfall and ultimately a significant portion of their families. Ned was too honourable and thus made some bad decisions and trapped himself in a nest of vipers. Rob fell in love and dishonoured an agreement with a man who is renowned in Westeros for holding grudges. Like father, like son.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #774 on: June 03, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »
+5
My schadenfreude is off the charts reading those tweets. I'm not sure why, since I was shocked as well when I read it. But looking back on it it's one of the best plot twists in the entire series, and fits with the overall themes of politics and war. It made me want to finish reading even more, if anything. I guess some people were still under the impression this was some sort of Disney tv series in a fairyland with gumdrops and icecream.

Offline Freland

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:52 pm »
My schadenfreude is off the charts reading those tweets. I'm not sure why, since I was shocked as well when I read it.
For me it's the same - it's tasty to read all that rage and I don't feel bad for the people who are mad and curse GRRM or even HBO for killing their heroes.
But I feel bad for the people who (like me) were shocked to their bones. In other TV shows the heroes would at least put up a great fight and  take some of the main villains with them. But no - just bloody slaughter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:37:27 pm by Freland »

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #776 on: June 03, 2013, 03:50:37 pm »
If it wasn't for all the dicks spoiling everything everywhere on the internet from the books, I would never have expected this to happen.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #777 on: June 03, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »
I was certainly very surprised when I read what happened to Robb in the book, didn't see it coming.  But in hind sight, I probably should have.  I mean he completely fucked over an agreement he had.  It was the only reason Lord Frey let him cross at the Twins when he first marched south. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 03, 2013, 04:52:52 pm »
Toodaloo motherfucker :!:

Spoiler   
(click to show/hide)

People miss a lot of the point of the books. There is no real good guy bad guy scenario.

That's actually one of the aspects i like the most about "A song of ice and fire/Got"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:10:34 pm by Lars »

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #779 on: June 03, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »

Even if this is true. TV casuals like my self will always love the Starks and qq every time one of them dies. I don't know how the conflict is portrayed in the books but both Ned and Robb Stark are badasses and the lannisters twats in the TV-series.

RIP BED STARK