Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 186215 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #315 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:20 am »
+1
The guy who plays Stannis is horribly, horribly miscast.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:52 am »
+1
The guy who plays Stannis is horribly, horribly miscast.
mh, I'd tend to wait a little for a final judgement. But for now I have to agree that he appeared far too relaxed.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:21 pm »
+1
mh, I'd tend to wait a little for a final judgement. But for now I have to agree that he appeared far too relaxed.

That was the least of my critique. Stannis is supposed to be an imposing figure with a deep and chilling voice. The actor is weasely and comes off as pompous when he's supposed to be serious.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2012, 03:50:47 pm »
+1
That was the least of my critique. Stannis is supposed to be an imposing figure with a deep and chilling voice. The actor is weasely and comes off as pompous when he's supposed to be serious.
I actually never imagined Stannis to be imposing. Rather grim, sullen and stubborn. But even then I agree, so far the the HBO-version lacks seriousness and strength. But his voice I like, actually.

Wait a bit and we'll see.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »
+1
I think the next ep will be better, now that we're got the intro's done  :D

Offline rebbrown

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RebBrown, RebBrewn, RobBrewn, TimursLameBrother.
« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
+2
I actually never imagined Stannis to be imposing. Rather grim, sullen and stubborn. But even then I agree, so far the the HBO-version lacks seriousness and strength. But his voice I like, actually.

If you read the chapters (like the burning of the idols) again, you'll see that Stannis often has a 'get this over with' attitude towards things he doesn't like / isn't comfortable with. He has a love/hate relationship with R'hhlor and simply isn't too happy with the burning of the idols. Hence his 'okay, this is done, get the fuck out'. The way he handled the writing of the letter was perfect Stannis, now to see how he deals with Renly :)

And I absolutely love Davos. Couldbn't have casted him better.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #321 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »
+1

Really enjoyed the first episode, been waiting so long, really glad season 2 is here.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:02 am »
+1
is that guy playing Davos the actor from The Wire who played the asshole captain of the homicide unit?

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:42 am »
+1

Might not be what you were referring to but I noticed a little change in overall demeanor as well, it seems like they really let loose and had a little fun with the dialogue -- particularly a couple lines Tyrion says and other instances with other characters as well (Maester Luwin had a little moment and there was another one that I forgot). I think it's kind of cool and shows writing maturity.

The biggest scene that erked me the most was Rob's scene with Jaime. They both did a good job for the most part but the last bit with the digital wolf felt incredibly contrived. It was like, yeah.. okay.. we get the point: Rob is a badass but the wolf scaring Jaime was a dumb and unnecessary exercise of their apparently new CGI budget.

Also, for as good and award-winning of a job that the actor who plays Tyrion does, his glaringly fake accent bothers me a lot :lol:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
+1
The biggest scene that erked me the most was Rob's scene with Jaime. They both did a good job for the most part but the last bit with the digital wolf felt incredibly contrived. It was like, yeah.. okay.. we get the point: Rob is a badass but the wolf scaring Jaime was a dumb and unnecessary exercise of their apparently new CGI budget.

I think it was just their way of properly reintroducing us to the 'new' older Direwolves. I actually really liked that scene because they did it that way.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
+1
The point of the scene is to remind the audience that the wolves are direwolves, not normal wolves.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2012, 12:09:50 pm »
+1
Episode 02 is already available on the interbutts, in case you don't want to wait until next week.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
+1
Peter Dinklage's fake accent, what are you talking about? What accent does he fake?

And as far as I remember him from interviews or other movies he allways talks like this. I could be wrong, especially as I'm no native english speaker.
Episode 02 is already available on the interbutts, in case you don't want to wait until next week.
damn you, it's true. Now I won't resist to watch/d-load this night and then I'll have to wait two weeks for the next episode.  :|  :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:34:52 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »
+1
Peter Dinklage's fake accent, what are you talking about? What accent does he fake?

And as far as I remember him from interviews or other movies he allways talks like this. I could be wrong, especially as I'm no native english speaker.damn you, it's true. Now I won't resist to watch/d-load this night and then I'll have to wait two weeks for the next episode.  :|  :D

He's an American. I applaud him for sounding naturally posh sometimes but I find my self cringing like nails-on-a-chalkboard every other sentence  he speaks :lol:

Thanks for the tip!

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32:44 pm »
+1
the guy playing davos is a bad guy in the irish film: the guard. if you haven't seen it go watch it now, scum! watched it recently though it was amazingly funny/original.

on series 2:
I liked that the wolves finally look like dire wolves and not just ordinary dogs, I look forward to hopefully some battle scenes. my only major gripe with season 1 was the completely cut battle scenes. I kind of have low-ish expectations tho because I mean the battle of blackwater... surely must be cut down.