Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 166869 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:02 pm »
+1
there is a lot of cock being shown lately
but of very different quality.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »
+1
there is a lot of cock being shown lately

I don't notice the cocks around,

I have no buisness with this.  8-)
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2011, 01:31:14 am »
+1
So.. having no knowledge of this series in advance, I feel the urge to spout my opinion:
Episode 1 was a huge letdown for me:
The first scene I thought it was some kind of Warcraft meets Romero movie. Blahblahblah evil zombiedemons blah. From the 3 lines I heard about it beforehand, I was hoping for less cheesy fantasy and more "realistic" fantasy, and then this as the first scene... *sigh*

Well, after that it didn't take long untill I had to burst out in laughter, seriously, this was not necessary:
(click to show/hide)

Half an hour later I fell asleep. Nothing was happening. I'm not talking about action, I am talking about some story unfolding. There was none. Just a bunch of families that are in no way connected having a first appearance.

So yeah, a few days later, I woke up early, thought I'd give it another try and was hooked. Watched all 8 episodes without a break, can't wait for the next one. I still think the 1st episode was not well planned, especially the beginning, but if you get past that one, it's awesome.

Also, I totally love the sex scenes. Mostly because they are a big "fuck you" (pun intended) to the gore=ok,skin=evil fraction in this world. It totally fits with the story that is being told. It's a bloody, cruel world where women can sell their body for a coin or a crown. Either show both blood and sex, or nothing. Well done for that, too.

Edit: one last rant: (episode 5 or 6?)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:46:39 am by chadz »

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:41 am »
+1

Also, I totally love the sex scenes. Mostly because they are a big "fuck you" (pun intended) to the gore=ok,skin=evil fraction in this world. It totally fits with the story that is being told. It's a bloody, cruel world where women can sell their body for a coin or a crown. Either show both blood and sex, or nothing. Well done for that, too.

Now I'm interested, I'll have to watch this show!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:41 am »
+1
So.. having no knowledge of this series in advance, I feel the urge to spout my opinion:
The first scene I thought it was some kind of Warcraft meets Romero movie. Blahblahblah evil zombiedemons blah. From the 3 lines I heard about it beforehand, I was hoping for less cheesy fantasy and more "realistic" fantasy, and then this as the first scene... *sigh*

Well, after that it didn't take long untill I had to burst out in laughter, seriously, this was not necessary:
(click to show/hide)

Half an hour later I fell asleep. Nothing was happening. I'm not talking about action, I am talking about some story unfolding. There was none. Just a bunch of families that are in no way connected having a first appearance.

So yeah, a few days later, I woke up early, thought I'd give it another try and was hooked. Watched all 8 episodes without a break, can't wait for the next one. I still think the 1st episode was not well planned, especially the beginning, but if you get past that one, it's awesome.

(click to show/hide)

Never expect too much for a show/movie, you shall always be satisfied.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
+1
Sharpe is not pleased with chadz for the bad words about the fight choreography.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2011, 11:00:32 am »
+1

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Nice you started liking it after all :)

Its allways funny to see what expectations make you think and perceive.
For me the first episode was an unexpected, shocking blow. I've known the books since a long time and know the story very well and love it except some minor flaws. So I was allways very sceptic about this series. Yeah, the cast sounded great + I love many other HBO productions. But still, I feared the show could only destroy it all.

Then I watched the first episode and couldn't believe what I saw. I'm not saying all was like I imagined but it was all ... fitting. Especially the actors, every single one.

You laughed when you saw Jaime?  In my view he is perfect. At a first glance he must be this exaggerated, perfect, smug finest swordman and best knight of the realm. (btw since I'm no native english speaker - who would have guessed?- i'm fucking pissed off that the name is pronounced Jaimee rather than Jaim.)

Don't know about the swordfight, will watch again, but the acting of Sean Bean is very good.

However its clear that the first episode only could be so great for me because I knew every single character by sight, I knew the meaning of the exchanges of Catelyn and Jon, the message from the Eyrie, Neds hesitation. I've allways wondered how someone could understand only a fraction of it if your new to the show. The story is simply to wide scoaped to introduce it better. Watch the first episode again after season 3 or 4 - you will like it more than, I'd think.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »
+1
Too bad there are only two episodes left in this season. :(

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
+2
Idea:
Replace Strategus Calradia Map with Map of Westeros
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »
+1
two funny things:
reason why they couldn't find arya after beating the prince - they searched for her with visors - down

stark children... well... please, you who didn't read the books, guess their age

and in movie that stabbing of stable boy looked like an accident, but arya did it on purpouse and willingly

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »
+1
stark children... well... please, you who didn't read the books, guess their age
not much to guess, they are simply older in the series. I remember Sansa for example telling Cersei that she is 15 in one early episode. And the age of some others were mentioned as well.

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »
+1
Also, I totally love the sex scenes. Mostly because they are a big "cuss you" (pun intended) to the gore=ok,skin=evil fraction in this world. It totally fits with the story that is being told. It's a bloody, cruel world where women can sell their body for a coin or a crown. Either show both blood and sex, or nothing. Well done for that, too.

Have you seen Flesh and Blood?
It fits that mold quite well as far as medieval films go.
I'm pretty old fashioned and don't care for violence/sex/swearing so it gets tiresome for me since most the time it's put in for shock value rather than story. The imagination is way more powerful so stories that give you enough pieces to fill in the blanks are far more effective than those that shove it in your face.

I loved The Wire on HBO, but I'm enjoying The Shield which I've not seen a bit better since it didn't seem so blatantly wanton in what it portrayed (though it pushed boundaries for cable TV).

There's rough balance for moral respect and liberal freedom to portray reality and personal expression. I know I'm in a growing minority for those who don't care for controversial content.

/my feelings

Anyways, I'm really enjoying this series, especially the past few episodes and Khal Droggo/Daenerys. They're really ramping up the intensity that his character was mentioned to have at the beginning as the last fight showed.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »
+1
lol chadz i'm surprised you didn't like first episode was pretty awesome imo. especially the over the wall stuff.

+1 for westeros map over caladria. was always disapointed there wasn't an awesome single player mod for westeros but now theres a TV show there will probably be alot more interest in one.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »
+1
Just watched the first episode today too much nudity for my taste i cant concentrate on the freakin plot...... :!:

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2011, 04:42:13 am »
+1

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.