Poll

What to do with the mentioned "problem"

Increase W speed by 5% and decrease S by 5%
9 (33.3%)
Decrease S by15%
6 (22.2%)
Do nothing. I think everything is okay
4 (14.8%)
Sentences were a bit too complex for me. Author, please work on your language.
7 (25.9%)
Other change or suggestion
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: S-Mastery  (Read 410 times)

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
S-Mastery
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
+1
Hello,

I would like to suggest increasing a bit speed of moving forward or decreasing a bit the speed of moving back.

Well known thing about speed&length stats of a weapon is that if a weapon is long enough, it doesn't have to have a lot of speed because you can make up for this speed with your mouse movement.
When your weapon is short you have to keep moving in the direction of the S'ing enemy all the time to reach him and you can barely afford any attack acceleration coming from mouse or the path of your movement will get curved a bit and you won't reach enemy. It means that while accelerating attack, you will be a bit further from the enemy than if you were going straight for him and weren't using any mouse movement.
Person with a longer weapon doesn't have to care that much about staying close to the enemy and can freely accelerate his/her attack.

This is easy to notice when fighting with an enemy with glaive. Constant S'ing and quickly attacking when you have not that much time to swing between enemy's swing and your "W" button begs for mercy.

The results? Slowing down long (swinging) weapons wouldn't be needed anymore because even with decent speed they wouldn't feel that fast (depending on it's actual speed and length) and people could finally strat fighting at close distances instead of chasing the S-masters or constantly getting in and out of each other's range.

Small adjustment of S-speed would be ok I guess.

Also it wouldn't be found gay to use long weapons anymore though speed of some weapons would have to be adjusted by devs so it doesn't turn into longsword spam ^^ (great speed / good damage / nice length)

Please think about it and tell me what you think by polling.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:42:05 pm by BlueKnight »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: S-Mastery
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
Agility builds have it hard enough, dude. Don't make things even worse for them, especially on the extreme end of the spectrum (9/30, 6/33, 3/36).

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »
Agility builds have it hard enough, dude. Don't make things even worse for them, especially on the extreme end of the spectrum (9/30, 6/33, 3/36).
You are talking about agi builds without long weapon. For example agi build with scythe is deadly ^^ With 3PS and a lot of athl I was still cutting through black armour before the patch that changed the textures of b. armour so when it still had basic 60 b. armour. But I agree that these "(9/30, 6/33, 3/36)" aren't rewarded for their devotion to agility.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:41:10 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »
Backpedaling is a valid tactic that comes with its own set of risks (more likely to get attacked from behind, sacrificing your speed bonus, might walk off a cliff or into a corner, etc).

However, persistent S-key spammers are annoying as hell, as someone that uses a short weapon may have to block 5-6 times just to get in range of a backpedaling glaiver. The best solution is a stamina bar (running backwards while holding a long weapon is way more draining than running forwards), but we know that won't happen, so a more likely solution is the following:

Increase movement speed penalty from weapon length while backpedaling. Weapon length is already used to impose a run speed penalty, so that code can just be expanded to include an additional factor that applies to backpedaling.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:29:30 pm »
+1
Reduce movementspeed while walking back, but remove that effect with more ath (agi builds will stay the same as now, str builds cant backpeddle)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:39 pm »
Reduce movementspeed while walking back, but remove that effect with more ath (agi builds will stay the same as now, str builds cant backpeddle)

The backpedaling glaive spammers people complain about typically have 7+ athletics, so this wouldn't affect them. It would, however, make strength characters easy prey to crushthrough weapons (which might be a good thing, since strength builds don't have many natural predators now).

I prefer my suggestion of just expanding the existing run speed reduction due to weapon length to have a greater impact on backpedaling only. This way backpedaling glaivers would be less annoying, but pick/hammer users would still have a fighting chance against maulers. Nerf backpedaling for short weapon users, and they will be demolished by maulers even worse than they are now.