Author Topic: What cRPG needs (IMHO) - yet another emotional principle discussion  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
+4
Hi there!

I would just like to sum up the changes I think cRPG needs to reach 1.0-status. I will keep it as a list, so feel free to agree or disagree on single points, and if you disagree even offer another solution:

1. Change battle mode to conquest mode.

3 carefully placed flags on a few well designed and balanced maps, 1000 ressources per team, the team with less flags losing ressources (perhaps the less players the dominating team has the faster the ressources dwindle?), if ressources or living players reach the value of 0 the team loses. Would fix ~80% of all class balance problems cRPG has.

2. Implement a commander system.

Make a commander system with commanders which don't need to be elected, and every payer having the system activated by default (= you don't need to join on purpose), perhaps even with small rewards for carrying out orders. I suggest forum vote to create a commander ranking, and commanders being in charge as soon as they join the server, always being balanced equally on the teams. If there are more than two commanders the ranking decides about who's in charge, if there are less than two commanders the system is disabled. Would again fix a few balancing problems.

3. Rewrite team balance.

The game checks the classes of the players regarding their skills and their equipment. Some information can already be prepared on the webside. It also tracks the average score/ K/D / W/L ratio/ eqipment value of players and their generation. Basing on this information balance is calculated. Class>skill>clan is the order. If there is a majority of one class in one team, and there are not enough players of the same class for the other team, the game fills it up with their counter class, which means GKs will have to fight a lot of pikemen whenever they join the server in masses like they use to do.

4. New income system.

I don't have a proper suggestion for this, as there are many possible solutions. I guess if the score calculation becomes a bit fairer you can base gold and XP income on it. I would just like to add the idea that the rewards could be modified by the class you are playing, which means you get bonus rewards if you play a rare class. Could grant a little bit more diversity on the servers. Bt one thing is for sure: that terrible modifier and its leech friendliness have to go!

5. Remove upkeep.

The system was always crappy since it got introduced. It added worries about your remaining gold, you were restricted to certain equipment, devs were forced to make some items more viable than others to support the upkeep system in its attempt to grant diversity and limit the players on mid tier equipment, and finally it didn't help the balance at all, because temporarily restricting a certain powerfull equipment build doesn't make it balanced once it is used on the server. And as we all know, the introduction of the marketplace already removed the upkeep system as item limitation system, as there were no limitations any more for people who sold loom points.

I suggest to replace it with the "wealth skill" system. A new, attribute-unrelated skill is introduced, called wealth. Every player gets a certain budget for items he can equip, which is represented by the item value. The item value is NOT the item price in the shop, it's a seperate value, similar to its slot value. The value is raised by each level and by every point of wealth skill, but even on top level you would be restricted on very basic and cheap eqipment if you have welath 0. On the other hand, if you have wealth value 10 or 15 or whatever, you can constantly equip a plated charger, full plate and a heavy lance, going Finn style. But your skills will suffer heavily, balancing it out. Equipping more than what your budget is leads to items not being equipped at all or the next cheapest item, just like in Warband MP. That way you can decide to go with good skills and poor equipment, good equipment and poor skills or mediocre skills and mediocre equipment. We will have a batter balance (good items "costing" skill, which is a limited ressource is a way better base for balancing than items costing money, which is an unlimited ressource and thus basically unbalancable), more diversity in builds and finally more fun for everyone, because you can ALWAYS run around in your favourite eqipment and be recognized by the others.

Gold income would be reduced massively, and buying a new piece of equipment could become an event again, like in old days.

6. Make the game more deadly/raise the level cap.

I guess some players won't like the suggestion above with a wealth skill, reducing the effectivity of their builds. But it's only half as bad as it seems on the first glance, because suggestion 5 goes hand in hand with raising the level cap to 36, 39 or even 42. The game is very slow at the moment, and you need a lot of hits to kill somebody. Raising the level cap would be a very easy way to solve that problem, it would stretch that motivating "character progression part" a bit, would allow more builds (especially some interesting hybrids) and would increase the level span of the "peasant" classification, which should be a good argument for most players  :wink:

7. Buff armour.

Currently there is only little use in using light armour, as the protection is close to wearing no armour. On the other hand there is little use in wearing plate armour, because heavy armour offers almost the same protection. Stretching the range of armour values and implementing a small "jump" between cloth armour and light armour could improve things a bit. That way you can actually FEEL the armour you are wearing. I am perfectly fine with increasing the weight of the heaviest armours to implement a tradeoff.

8. Buff some classes again.

All those changes could create some room for buffing some classes again. I am thinking mainly of archers and cavalry, especially heavy cavalry which is basically non existant in the game. But be carefull with buffing throwers, as they have a few very ugly mechanics which can easily lead to everybody using backup throwing weapons, leading to a lot of ranged spam and degenerating melee to short ranged combat.

9. Revert the turn speed nerf to a certain degree

Weapons should turn slower proportionally to their length and weight. Longer and heavier weapons should turn much slower than for example short 1hd weapons.

10. Implement some of the minor suggestions around here.

Things like making archers and crossbows switch ammo types, implementing "half slots", knocking cav out of the saddle, displaying the W/L ration on the webside and so on.

Dang, again it got a huge wall of text. But it's divided into points, and they are quite self explanatory, and if not there's not much to read for the particular point.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:55:59 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: What cRPG needs (IMHO) - yet another emotional principle discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »
+8
Good read but i think the current cRPG feels just fine imho  :shock:

Inf combat could use a speed up buts thats bout it.

^ note feinting is almost dead an non-existent anymore thx to the slow combat  :cry:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »
+18
Joker, I'd like to ask you few things:

Are you NA/EU?
How much do you play on average per week? I'd like to have a screenshot from your c-rpg.net Statistics page.
How long have you been playing REGULARLY c-rpg? I really haven't seen you playing (I personally play pretty much always EU1) at least with the nick that you state to use.

You seem to be talking often about the balance. IMO c-rpg is pretty damn balanced, or how would you explain the diversity between builds in NA and EU? In NA the "normal" amount of agility is 9-15 where as in EU that is 15-21. Without a good balance this couldn't have happened. Don't start argue with the specific numbers, you get the point.
In one patch I've got to be archer, xbow+1h/2h, shielder, 2h, pole, cav and IMO they were balanced.

This is odd coming from my mouth as I'm very bad at explaining stuff, but I want to see some proof that the game is highly unbalanced, as I get that kind of picture from what I read your suggestions/posts.

IMO the thing we need the most is a new xp/gold system.
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline Ego_HRE

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire / Coalition
  • Game nicks: Ego_HRE
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »
There r 1-2 good points...
Think..upkeep system is good...game speed to.
A new game mode will be attractive :mrgreen:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I think he doesn't say its so unbalanced. He just listed his ideas for making cRPG a better game.. Of course a different game, but still.

I agree a better vision for cRPG would be nice.. it just kinda grew as a process over time. I have my hopes for cRPG2 one day ;)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:41 pm »
+16
1. Change battle mode to conquest mode.

3 carefully placed flags on a few well designed and balanced maps, 1000 ressources per team, the team with less flags losing ressources (perhaps the less players the dominating team has the faster the ressources dwindle?), if ressources or living players reach the value of 0 the team loses.

That would be some rather boring gameplay. Would force people into acting a certain way (flanking/loning would be next to useless), standing boots on flag would be really boring in Warband as a non-ranged class and battles would feel even more same-ey among other issues.

Would fix ~80% of all class balance problems cRPG has.

Ass-pull of the year.

2. Implement a commander system.

Make a commander system with commanders which don't need to be elected, and every payer having the system activated by default (= you don't need to join on purpose), perhaps even with small rewards for carrying out orders. I suggest forum vote to create a commander ranking, and commanders being in charge as soon as they join the server, always being balanced equally on the teams. If there are more than two commanders the ranking decides about who's in charge, if there are less than two commanders the system is disabled.

Hey commander!

(click to show/hide)

Why should I be punished for not following the directives of some self-important douche not chosen by me?

Let the players play the game their way, pubs are pubs. They're not there for super-serious gaming imo.

2 tips: JOIN A CLAN and USE TS.

Would again fix a few balancing problems.

No wait, another challenger appears!

3. Rewrite team balance.

The game checks the classes of the players regarding their skills and their equipment. Some information can already be prepared on the webside. It also tracks the average score/ K/D / W/L ratio/ eqipment value of players and their generation. Basing on this information balance is calculated. Class>skill>clan is the order. If there is a majority of one class in one team, and there are not enough players of the same class for the other team, the game fills it up with their counter class, which means GKs will have to fight a lot of pikemen whenever they join the server in masses like they use to do.

Pikemen don't counter cav.

While it is annoying to fight stacks, this sounds like way too complicated a solution.

And how would you check if someone is a pikeman and not a short spear user? if you could, wouldn't people just switch their equipment around to get on the winning/annoying to fight team?

4. New income system.

I don't have a proper suggestion for this, as there are many possible solutions. I guess if the score calculation becomes a bit fairer you can base gold and XP income on it. I would just like to add the idea that the rewards could be modified by the class you are playing, which means you get bonus rewards if you play a rare class. Could grant a little bit more diversity on the servers. Bt one thing is for sure: that terrible modifier and its leech friendliness has to go!

I find your use of the word "proper"amusing.

I can see some pretty bad stuff happening if this is implemented. Asuming score is based on damage in some form or another, there would probably be a surge of "3 stacks of arrows HA" and stuff like that who could farm the system delaying rounds. Also, if this is implemented alongside your conquest idea (which I assume is your thought) then that would force people down an even more linear path assuming score is tied to completing objectives.

The valour system rewards those who excel, and it's good enough imho.

5. Remove upkeep.

The system was always crappy since it got introduced. It added worries about your remaining gold, you were restricted to certain equipment, devs were forced to make some items more viable than others to support the upkeep system in its attempt to grant diversity and limit the players on top tier equipment, and finally it didn't help the balance at all, because temporarily restricting a certain powerfull equipment build doesn't make it balanced once it is used on the server. And as we all know, the introduction of the marketplace already removed the upkeep system as item limitation system, as there were no limitations any more for people who sold loom points.

I suggest to replace it with the "wealth skill" system. A new, attribute-unrelated skill is introduced, called wealth. Every player gets a certain budget for items he can equip, which is represented by the item value. The item value is NOT the item price in the shop, it's a seperate value, similar to its slot value. The value is raised by each level and by every point of wealth skill, but even on top level you would be restricted on very basic and cheap eqipment if you have welath 0. On the other hand, if you have wealth value 10 or 15 or whatever, you can constantly equip a plated charger, full plate and a heavy lance, going Finn style. But your skills will suffer heavily, balancing it out. Equipping more than your budget is leads to items not being equipped at all or the next cheapest item, just like in Warband MP. That way you can decide to go with good skills and poor equipment, good equipment and poor skills or mediocre skills and mediocre equipment. We will have a batter balance (good items "costing" skill, which is a limited ressource is a way better base for balancing than items costing money, which is an unlimited ressource and thus basically unbalancable), more diversity in builds and finally more fun for everyone, because you can ALWAYS run around in your favourite eqipment and be recognized by the others.

Gold income would be reduced massively, and buying a new piece of equipment could become an event again, like in old days.

Good concept, but there are some apparent problems:

Firstly, you're not solving the problem with equipment restrictions; you're making it worse.

For the wealth skill to have any point to it you'd have to have distinct tiers of better/worse gear. And while you could wear the gear you want, if you want to wear something of a higher/lower teir, or there's an item balance path your build will suddenly be sub-optimal if not useless.

Therefore while any player can wear any gear, they will be forced to build their build (not intended) around their gear and as such cannot swittch it around.

Going with cheaper gear for a little while to gain some gold in order not to go broke from upkeep is easy, changing your entire build is super-awkward and time-consuming.

Also, some people don't like to grind (me being one of them), and amplifying that part of c-rpg is not necessarily good.

6. Make the game more deadly/raise the level cap.

I guess some players won't like the suggestion above with a wealth skill, reducing the effectivity of their builds. But it's only half as bad as it seems on the first glance, because suggestion 5 goes hand in hand with raising the level cap to 36, 39 or even 42. The game is very slow at the moment, and you need a lot of hits to kill somebody. Raising the level cap would be a very easy way to solve that problem, it would stretch that motivating "character progression part" a bit, would allow more builds (especially some interesting hybrids) and would increase the level span of the "peasant" classification, which should be a good argument for most players  :wink:

I agree with higher level cap, but only for the purpose of increasing gamespeed (which is something I'd really like to see).

More grinding == bad imho as I said earlier.

7. Buff armour.

Currently there is only little use in using light armour, as the protection is close to wearing no armour. On the other hand there is little use in wearing plate armour, because heavy armour offers almost the same protection. Stretching the range of armour values and implementing a small "jump" between cloth armour and light armour could improve things a bit. That way you can actually FEEL the armour you are wearing. I am perfectly fine with increasing the weight of the heaviest armours to implement a tradeoff.

Bullshit.

The effect of armor only increases as you get more of it. Fully-loomed plate monsters are incredibly tough to kill compared to medium-armored foes.

Also light armor isn't useless at all. I wear a 30-armor helmet and it's a huge difference compared to no helmet or Deli Cap (buff Deli Cap!)

The main reason people use medium armor is because it fall in line nicely with a manageable upkeep while offering decent protection and not making you slow as balls (boring!). Armor balance seems pretty fine to me atm. Most infantry use medium armor while a minority goes to either extreme.

8. Buff some classes again.

All those changes could create some room for buffing some classes again. I am thinking mainly of archers and cavalry, especially heavy cavalry which is basically non existant in the game. But be carefull with buffing throwers, as they have a few very ugly mechanics which can easily lead to everybody using backup throwing weapons, leading to a lot of ranged spam and degenerating melee to short ranged combat.

No. Heavy cav is rare, well because it should be rare. Sure throwers have some "ugly" mechanics but look at cav! Bumps - skill-less bullshit. Bump-slash/lance annoys people with short weapons to no end. Rape-trains: Aaaarggh! Rage!

Yes, a major change to c-rpg's core would probably require massive balance changes as well, but these specific examples aren't really telling.

Reducing the amount of arabians in favour of heavier horses is something I can agree with though, but that's just a specific balance case.

9. Implement some of the minor suggestions around here.

Things like making archers and crossbows switch ammo types, implementing "half slots", knocking cav out of the saddle, displaying the W/L ration on the webside and so on.

Is this just renown-whoring? Because it seems kind of pointless to say.

Everyone wants those suggestions they like to be implemented. Duh.

Dang, again it got a huge wall of text. But it's divided into points, and they are quite self explanatory, and if not there's not much to read for the particular point.

The points are not really self-explanatory. "Buff Armor", really?

zzz...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:50:36 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »
+8
upkeep is the best thing that happened to crpg

before pach there was 2 kinds of players

1 was players that still grind for full plate and jump to that by using better and better armors
2 was full metal plate heroes

I say no to that, never ever again(BTW I was one of that siege full str morningstar my old friends)

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »
They should never remove the upkeep system. What happens then is you have people in Full plate on Plated chargers swinging morningstars with Danish greatswords as their back up in case they get dismounted. not to mention full plate longbow archers and any other class in full plate. basically full plate everything...good game...the game is fairly balanced right now, 1h needs a slight damage buff for their swords and stuff but other than that, everything else looks/feels fine. Also, whatever was done to polearms last patch needs to be reworked, since 2h is now the far superior class with the high damage, quick speed and lolstab animation. just my opinion.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:57:47 pm »
+3
The upkeep system didn't solve anything. It didn't get rid of the possibility of playing in plate 24/7. It just made it take longer to get there (and even that is debateable considering how long it took to actually *get* plate in the old days).

Sell heirloom points and play market. Rollin' in loot in no time.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »
+1
The upkeep system didn't solve anything. It didn't get rid of the possibility of playing in plate 24/7. It just made it take longer to get there (and even that is debateable considering how long it took to actually *get* plate in the old days).

Sell heirloom points and play market. Rollin' in loot in no time.

I agree with this, however like everything, it comes down to the person playing the game. if you want to be a douche in full plate 24/7 there's nothing stopping you. But upkeep is a good factor for most people because it gives you a bill for all that expense and to some people it's more important to have loomed weapons/armor that it is to have gold and do full plate all the time.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:14:49 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
+4
What Crpg needs?

A worthy funeral.
On just a tiny bit more optimistic note though, I am really hoping that this game gets on its feet again. But I started playing Crpg again in April after a 8 months long break, and I immediately felt that this was a great game in a dying state. And I dont feel that it has changed abit these past months either, problems are hardly being adressed properly for Crpg to recover. I have tried really hard to be optimistic through everything since I started playing again, but the crpg experience now feels more like watching a train-wreck rather than a game to have fun in.
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:53:25 pm »
Joker, I'd like to ask you few things:

[...]

You seem to be talking often about the balance. IMO c-rpg is pretty damn balanced, or how would you explain the diversity between builds in NA and EU?

I do often talk about balance, but this time I did not. At least not in the usual way you talk about balance ("NEEERRRRFF!").
I was not suggesting to make one thing more powerfull or to nerf the other. I am aware that the balance is pretty good, but in my eyes the overall effectivity average of classes is too low. What I am suggesting is basically taking that balance and elevating it on a higher effectivity/deadliness level. The only other statement about balancing was concerning archers and cavalry, and this was related to changes in the game mode (archers and especially cav are not really suited for taking and holding terrain).

Spoiler for Dezilagel:
(click to show/hide)

upkeep is the best thing that happened to crpg

before pach there was 2 kinds of players

1 was players that still grind for full plate and jump to that by using better and better armors
2 was full metal plate heroes

I say no to that, never ever again(BTW I was one of that siege full str morningstar my old friends)

If you actually read what was written under "remove upkeep", you wold notice that I am indeed supporting the reintroduction of full-time-tincans, but lso supporting to nerf them with lower skills. And I am also supporting making plate even heavier, slowing people down more. In combination with low skills but certain item requirements (requiring to push strength) many tincans will be horribly slow. HORRIBLY!  :P

I agree with this, however like everything, it comes down to the person playing the game. if you want to be a douche in full plate 24/7 there's nothing stopping you. But upkeep is a good factor for most people because it gives you a bill for all that expense and to some people it's more important to have loomed weapons/armor that it is to have gold and do full plate all the time.

Basically the same thing what I answered Rebelyell, plus this:

You can be in full plate 24/7, but there IS something stopping you, at least of ebing a douche: you have bad skills. You will be much slower than someone else in cheaper equipment, and thus less dangerous. Perhaps people can ignore losing money to some extend, but they definitely can't ignore hitting less hard, being much slower or much more inaccurate.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:03:10 pm by Joker86 »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

3. Rewrite team balance.

Regarding this one, some of the calculation doesn't even need to be done in game. Let the website classify each character, like, this char is a class B archer, or that is a class A cav,... And then let the ballancer work with these tokens.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
Regarding this one, some of the calculation doesn't even need to be done in game. Let the website classify each character, like, this char is a class B archer, or that is a class A cav,... And then let the ballancer work with these tokens.

Right, but on ome classes this doesn't work, the best example are polearms, which can be halberdiers or pikemen or even crushthrough infantry. And all of them are fundamentally different than the others. But yes, of course, you can already make the biggest part of the calculation and the rest is done on the server. Someone with 100% WPF points in archery will most likely be n archer, no need for equipment check.