Author Topic: Remove delay from failed 1h stab  (Read 1991 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Remove delay from failed 1h stab
« on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »
+12
1h stabs are harder to pull off than 2h or pole stabs, therefore I suggest removing the delay on a failed 1h stab (stab that was blocked or that glanced).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Remove delay from failed 1h stab
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
I'm pretty sure that even if the developers wanted to do this, they couldn't. I believe Paul said a while back that thrust stun (the "delay" you're referring to) is hardcoded into the game engine and can't be changed.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 05:55:56 pm »
+2
Would probably result in super fast stab spam,, there must be some other way to fix it.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
+3
Would probably result in super fast stab spam,, there must be some other way to fix it.

So what? Super fast 1h thrust spam == super fast glance and miss festival.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
+4
I know that when you stab with a 2h and bounce you can instantly strike again. I never saw anyone pulling this off with a polearm or a 1h.

Maybe that should be fixed, maybe not. Only a handful of players actually use this to their advantage anyway. IMO it's a bad mechanic no matter the weapon.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:30:40 pm »
+4
Right now 1h stabs glance at close range and at long range. It should be one or the other.

I'd prefer that they only glance at long range as that would make more sense given the operational range you need for 1h weapons.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »
+2
In my opinion it makes more sense for 1h stabs to glance at the start of the animation than at the end of the animation at the tip of the blade, no class, neither 1h or 2h or pole, should get a free instahit so fast it can't be blocked.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:52 pm »
+1
They just fucked too much with the engine when they made the turnspeed nerf.. its just weird how come they just leave us with this broken version of melee combat with stupid half arsed restrictions beats me...

Wish they would revert the freakin change an speed up the combat  :rolleyes:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:27 am »
+1
I know that when you stab with a 2h and bounce you can instantly strike again. I never saw anyone pulling this off with a polearm or a 1h.

Maybe that should be fixed, maybe not. Only a handful of players actually use this to their advantage anyway. IMO it's a bad mechanic no matter the weapon.

I assume you mean when you are feinting at point blank with a 2h, sometimes if you feint into a thrust and out again it makes the "whiff" noise on armour but the thrust doesn't actually go through and you can right swing or whatever. It's not actually thrusting and then attacking again right after but still kinda bullshit.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:09 am »
I'm pretty sure that even if the developers wanted to do this, they couldn't. I believe Paul said a while back that thrust stun (the "delay" you're referring to) is hardcoded into the game engine and can't be changed.
It is able to be manipulated. You can shorten the stun duration on weapon-blocks. They just don't.
I've never understood why the thrusts have so much longer stuns than side swings, it isn't preventing any problems that aren't already there.

HOWEVER: The issue is NOT the stun duration of failed 1h stabs. It is that they fail extremely easily due to some awful sweetspot/animation glances inherent to our current 1h animation/settings.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:25:04 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline MayPeX

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_MayPeX
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »

They said that about polestun as well.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:31 am »

I do (read:did) this with a polearm very often, but it requires some thought.

You can't just do it with any bounce, you need to bounce really early in the attack animation but not instantly because then your character gets stunned.

When your character does one of these special bounces there's a distinct sound. I quickly learned to listen for it when fighting competent duelists.

Learning how to do it takes a little time, but it's not that hard. Learning to recognize and defend against it is even easier, just keep your cool and anticipate it.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:20 am »
I do (read:did) this with a polearm very often, but it requires some thought.

You can't just do it with any bounce, you need to bounce really early in the attack animation but not instantly because then your character gets stunned.

When your character does one of these special bounces there's a distinct sound. I quickly learned to listen for it when fighting competent duelists.

Learning how to do it takes a little time, but it's not that hard. Learning to recognize and defend against it is even easier, just keep your cool and anticipate it.
Yep, you can do it with every class, it's one of the few things that regularly gets people. I don't think there is a distinct sound though, just the regular glancing noise, but then way too early. It is as simple as doing a stab feint at facehug range, that is all. It is probably a bug, but in these times of near perfect blocking for everyone it is one of those precious things that actually works somewhat reliably. As everyone can use it, I'd say it should not be fixed.

You can do multiple in a row as well, that throws even veteran players off.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:19 am »
+1
I don't use 1 handers with stab. It solved this problem for me  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Darter

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Secik
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 05:20:53 am »
There is nothing to fix 1h stab works just fine imo.

No spam, get good dmg for risk.