Author Topic: Reducing the whine for DGS users.  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing the whine for DGS users.
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:21 am »
+3
Even though great swords with scabbards in the back look immensely more cool than without, it's not very realistic.

Those swords are longer than your arm, how are you supposed to get them out of the scabbard ? Doing so would be extremely awkward and slow. I remember reading from a more or less trustworthy source that back scabbards were in fact never used for melee weapons except a few non-European exceptions but I don't remember which website it was.

So actually this means we shouldn't put weapons on our backs at all. I suggest to make all weapons without a side sheath unsheathable.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:33 pm »
Yes, there's no support for (Europeans) carrying longer arms on the back in neither the archaeological nor the historical record.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 09:29:25 am »
I think the real question is... is there evidence for pikemen leaping around in battle, deftly stabbing enemies heads in the fray, taking them on mano-a-mano?
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »
Hey guys. I have an idea on how to reduce the amount of whine caused by nerfing the DGS.

I have watched recently Wayne pwning everyone on the server with German GS. Maybe he's just that good, unlike some others who cried so hard, but it looked like he had no problem with new stats of GS. So maybe Danish and German are still decent weapons and there is no need to whine... :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 01:49:05 pm »
+1
He's also sporting a 27/15 build with only a tribal warrior outfit, I think. Not sure.

That would explain the efficiency; high damage coupled with next to no wpf penalty and high speed bonus due to movement speed.

Most greatsworders use 15.0+ weight on armours too.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »
The SoW looks cool. The Danish, apart from having a stupid name (No Greatswords that looked like that were developed in Denmark or are mentioned in any Danish military treatcize that I have found), looks like a ceremonial sword that would shatter on impact, due to it's length and that the blade would far outweigh the pommel, making it also unbalanced. That many fans of this sword watch Anime I don't doubt, since it is a fantasy weapon, but don't say the SoW looks bad. It doesn't. It looks fairly realistic and very badass. Admitedly, to sheath or unsheath this weapon would take unslinging the sheath from the back, upending, then reslinging the sheath while taking hold of the sword. This would probably take a little longer than animations in crpg XD
I don't know enough

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »
I got myself a Sword of War, and now I admit that the model is really nice. It's the traditional design for a greatsword, I guess. But the textures are still poor, even on the highest settings.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »
But the textures are still poor, even on the highest settings.
Textures are plainly awful, blade looks weird, all in all I don't like SoW. Danish, German and HC looks much better in my opinion.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »
+2
The SoW looks cool. The Danish, apart from having a stupid name (No Greatswords that looked like that were developed in Denmark or are mentioned in any Danish military treatcize that I have found), looks like a ceremonial sword that would shatter on impact, due to it's length and that the blade would far outweigh the pommel, making it also unbalanced. That many fans of this sword watch Anime I don't doubt, since it is a fantasy weapon, but don't say the SoW looks bad. It doesn't. It looks fairly realistic and very badass. Admitedly, to sheath or unsheath this weapon would take unslinging the sheath from the back, upending, then reslinging the sheath while taking hold of the sword. This would probably take a little longer than animations in crpg XD
Wrong on all accounts, actually :)

The Oakeshott Type XVIIIe ('the Dane') is a XVIII variant found several places in 15th century Medieval Denmark and Scandinavia.

(click to show/hide)

Receives very good critique at the myarmoury test of a modern replica here . And here, another description from the same place, which is a leading website on historical armaments.

The Dane is an example of one of the more advanced or extreme blade designs in the history of the European sword

This is a sword that really breaks the misconception of the slow and awkward two-hander

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »
+1

Receives very good critique at the myarmoury test of a modern replica here .

Sorry, i stopped reading their description when they got one of the basic laws of turning moments wrong in the 2nd paragraph XD

Maybe in future rely on sources who finished school!

Also, the measurements used there in comparisson to cRPG would make the male model in cRPG barely 5 feet high...some Danes...
I don't know enough

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:06 pm »
Please be more specific, what basic law did the author get wrong and where? And what do you mean about the measurements compared to cRPG, that the model is too long in-game?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:28:57 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 07:05:34 pm »
Sorry, i stopped reading their description when they got one of the basic laws of turning moments wrong in the 2nd paragraph XD

Maybe in future rely on sources who finished school!

Also, the measurements used there in comparisson to cRPG would make the male model in cRPG barely 5 feet high...some Danes...
And you are the pro-scientist?

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
I completely agree. The only reason I don't use the Sword of War is because of the bigass shealth on the back. It's just not part of my style/look. I would definatly love it if the shealth on the back was completely removed.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:15 pm »
+4
He means this:
The long grip really helps to control the long blade. A large sword will typically be slower than a shorter one, due to the fact that the further away the tip is from the center of rotation, the slower it moves. Having a longer grip allows the user to balance this out better, and leads to a very quick blade despite its size.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:44:52 pm by Paul »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »
He means this:
The long grip really helps to control the long blade. A large sword will typically be slower than a shorter one, due to the fact that the further away the tip is from the center of rotation, the slower it moves. Having a longer grip allows the user to balance this out better, and leads to a very quick blade despite its size.

I would like to ask a physicist how the laws of the universe should be changed to make this true.

One thing is evident though, a longer blade will put more weight further away from the grip, unbalancing the weapon. I may be wrong but I think if you want to reduce the total weight of the weapon and keep the same balance and blade, it's better to make the grip longer and reduce the weight of the pommel. Of course if the grip is too long, the weapon becomes awkward to use.