Author Topic: Reducing the whine for DGS users.  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing the whine for DGS users.
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »
Thank you for the clarification, Paul.

@Blindguy, perhaps getting some physics theory wrong shouldn't make you disregard everything a historical fencing instructor says about the handling characteristics of a weapon he's actually put to practical use?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:25 am »
I would like to ask a physicist how the laws of the universe should be changed to make this true.

One thing is evident though, a longer blade will put more weight further away from the grip, unbalancing the weapon. I may be wrong but I think if you want to reduce the total weight of the weapon and keep the same balance and blade, it's better to make the grip longer and reduce the weight of the pommel. Of course if the grip is too long, the weapon becomes awkward to use.

Shouldn't the center of mass move at the same speed (in m/s) given the same strength of wielder for both swords (if the weight equal)? Then the longer sword should have a smaller angular speed (=how fast you can swing), I guess. Also the longer sword is probably heavier (=slower).
In a wider grip you have more power (but your hands must move faster to compensate but I think that is not the problem).

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 03:02:48 am »
+2