Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 112676 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #555 on: November 04, 2014, 07:18:00 pm »
This is crazy ambitious. Props to them if they manage to actually pull it off.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 04, 2014, 08:02:41 pm »
+2
Pretty sure that's the exact opposite of what they've said. And it wouldn't make sense the way you describe it, considering everything they've said about the FPS system with being sucked into space etc.

I don't know, it seems to me that the interactions between the FPS gameplay inside a ship and the exterior world are fairly limited and not extremely time-sensitive. What can happen? Player X is ejected from window Y, the ship suffers some altered state like a malfunction... all these things can happen based on minimal transfers of information between the FPS session and the rest of the world. Not absolutely nothing, but really not a lot either. Because the timing constraints are not extremely strict, I can see the FPS part and the space part being run on different physical servers inside some typical cluster-like data exchange network. The only problem I can see with that is if you want exterior forces (like engine throttle) being applied to the ship to translate directly and immediately into forces inside the FPS session. That makes sense if artificial gravity is disabled. It could be a little bit harder to synchronize, perhaps.

Ultimately, I think RSI is being waaaaaaaaaay too ambitious with their plans. Realistically, they do not have the aggregated programming brainpower of the silicon valley, yet it seems that's what they think they have. Forget about art and design, they probably won't run into issues there. Maybe if they hire Tarn Adams, but even then.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 04, 2014, 08:19:53 pm »
FPS boarding and ship combat definitely do not take part in different instances, per their current plans.

I wouldn't be so sure they're way too ambitious, they've got tons of funding with more coming in every day, don't have to spend 50% of their budget on advertising, no publisher to tell them to make X feature and Y feature an expansion pack/a new game, their lead guy, Chris Roberts, is actively involved in development and clearly has a vision, and has made good games before, etc.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2014, 10:33:28 pm »
Dev quote:

WCAGuru | WCAGuru said:
Hoping cities/ports aren't COMPLETELY safe -- "shady places" even in major cities where violence can break out at any time are a staple of the genre and something I'm sure many of us had hoped to encounter in-game -- think the Mos Eisley Cantina and Han's little meeting with Greedo...

I agree. This is something that we'll need to test out once we have more of the systems working. We don't want it to turn into something that just becomes an annoyance (ganking, etc...). In the meantime, suggestions are welcome!
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 05, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
A vision is a double-edged sword. DayZ guys had vision, but they never managed to actually solve KoS. Of course they don't have that many resources either, but does that fundamentally change the problem?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 1982
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 05, 2014, 05:39:25 pm »
Are you sure Rocket had a vision to finish the game and not take the money and run?

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 06, 2014, 11:46:29 am »
Are you sure Rocket had a vision to finish the game and not take the money and run?

Maybe Rocket had a vasaun tu fenesh da goyme ond nut toyke da munai un ron. His words.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 07, 2014, 12:47:39 am »
A vision is a double-edged sword. DayZ guys had vision, but they never managed to actually solve KoS. Of course they don't have that many resources either, but does that fundamentally change the problem?
I wouldn't compare rocket with Chris Roberts, and especially not CIG with BIS. Star Citizen is progressing fast and it looks impressive on several fronts already, FPS, dogfighting, etc, whereas DayZ has done almost nothing for years, it's still on a level that could seemingly be attainable by a small mod team working on Arma 2 or Arma 3.

Also, who says KoS needs "solving"? DayZ is very different from Star Citizen on that front. Very, very different. KoS in DayZ is not even a problem, objectively.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2974
  • Infamy: 619
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 07, 2014, 12:50:19 am »
And he's alive :mrgreen: Xant, you do sound A LOT like typical fresh-off-the-boat Star Citizen fanboy. Keep up the good work :P

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 07, 2014, 10:36:48 am »
And he's alive :mrgreen: Xant, you do sound A LOT like typical fresh-off-the-boat Star Citizen fanboy. Keep up the good work :P
Don't you fucking smiley me. And I was never dead.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #565 on: November 07, 2014, 11:36:22 am »
+1
Don't you fucking smiley me

Shit just got personal

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #566 on: November 07, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »
+7
Xant you make me  :D :oops: :) :cry: :( :evil: :twisted: :o :shock: :rolleyes: :wink: :? :!: :?: :lol: :mad: :P :arrow: 8-) :| :mrgreen:
Turtles

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 08, 2014, 12:02:54 am »
KoS in DayZ is not even a problem, objectively.

Objectively, nothing is a problem and abstraction is absurd. Nevertheless, I would like KoS to be solved, because DayZ is just an underpop shooter if there aren't any friendlies/neutrals.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2014, 01:30:18 am »
Objectively, nothing is a problem and abstraction is absurd. Nevertheless, I would like KoS to be solved, because DayZ is just an underpop shooter if there aren't any friendlies/neutrals.

You need hostiles too. KoS isn't a problem, at least to me.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 08, 2014, 02:56:19 am »
You need hostiles too. KoS isn't a problem, at least to me.

Of course, but it's quite natural for people to be hostiles in a game with full loot. You don't need to convince anyone when you say the game is about shooting things. The trick is not making this behavior the default one.