Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 116141 times)

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: iK
  • Game nicks: iK_Smithy
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:07 am »
No, I haven't reserved alpha or beta slot. Don't have the PC to run SC atm, will wait for full release somewhere in 2015.  My Aurora will get rusty by then tho :D

Waiting for the moment when PC capable of running SC at max details will cost less than 1000 US dollars. Currently, even stronger machines can't run hangar with stable 60 fps, when everything maxed. How this game will work when they add more stuff, do not want to imagine.

Ah ok, makes sense.  I'll be getting a new PC this time next week, but it's just a mildly shitty temporary solution.  I plan on dropping some serious cash around the summer time on upgrading it.

Pappy, I'm quite the nub when it comes to building PCs but, is the Intel and Nvidia stuff really worth the price compared to AMD?  You can get an 8 core I believe its the AMD 8230(I think) CPU for $160 on Newegg. (just an example) Similarly to that, you could probably get a high end AMD GPU similar to the GTX 780 for significantly less, but like I said, does the Intel / Nvidia stuff outperform AMD substantially, or is it more or less buying the brand? (like I said im a nub with this stuff so, please don't hurt me)

Its also funny you should mention the nationalism thing, seeing as how im currently in Germany.   :lol: 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ToniTcc

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_ToniTcc, Fallen_Inheritor
« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
Ah ok, makes sense.  I'll be getting a new PC this time next week, but it's just a mildly shitty temporary solution.  I plan on dropping some serious cash around the summer time on upgrading it.

Pappy, I'm quite the nub when it comes to building PCs but, is the Intel and Nvidia stuff really worth the price compared to AMD?  You can get an 8 core I believe its the AMD 8230(I think) CPU for $160 on Newegg. (just an example) Similarly to that, you could probably get a high end AMD GPU similar to the GTX 780 for significantly less, but like I said, does the Intel / Nvidia stuff outperform AMD substantially, or is it more or less buying the brand? (like I said im a nub with this stuff so, please don't hurt me)

Its also funny you should mention the nationalism thing, seeing as how im currently in Germany.   :lol:

I myself bought AMD 8230 with eight core and it has worked great so far. My only problem is the graphic card now, which is gtx 550... and forms a bottleneck on my pc
I don't know if you should spend over 500 euros to gtx 780, when you could get gtx 770 with 4gb of its own ram with only 350euros and about 25% worse(overall performance) compared to gtx 780.
And I sure as hell promise that you can run almost every game on ultra with gtx 770.
I don't know the specs needed for star citizen, but planetside needs around 4gb of ram so star citizen should be around 8 gb of ram. (I'm currently running Ps2 on low graphics with my superawesome gtx 550, it eats 3.5gb of ram from my 9gb)
There's some differences between Nvidia and AMD, for some reason people prefer Nvidia, which is slightly more expensive, but you'll decide that in the end.
Tales of the fallen brigayd wasn't quite the bedtime story I was looking for.

Offline Literally_Circler

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally a Clan
« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2014, 07:19:11 pm »
So I'm one of the leaders of https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/RAREFISHCO which features Literallys of the past and present (as well as plenty of others who never played cRPG).

Personally I've got a Super Hornet and a 315P

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2014, 07:27:25 pm »
AMD GPUs are ok if you pay about 100 dollars less than Nvidia cards of equal power. If you want to OC or keep your GPU for a very long time, I'd advise against ATI cards.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »
AMD GPUs are ok if you pay about 100 dollars less than Nvidia cards of equal power. If you want to OC or keep your GPU for a very long time, I'd advise against ATI cards.
I have my HD6870 for nearly 2 years now... still playing everything on max settings. So, can't confirm.

Though I'd probably buy a Nvidia today... but that's just and only for PhysX :)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:35 pm »
Well I used a HD4870 myself for more than two years, only upgraded a month ago and it still worked flawlessly despite being the closest thing to a MONSTER POWER HUNGRY BEAST OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. Completely no frills, looks like a shoebox, heats like a bitch, sounds like a bitch and breaks easily.

Curiously I went full sophisticated hipster this time around with a EVGA Superclocked ACX GTX760 and a price to match, but it feels good to spend money I actually earned.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #381 on: January 25, 2014, 05:48:59 pm »
And I sure as hell promise that you can run almost every game on ultra with gtx 770.

You really can't. At least not the games that I play. If you play the "dumb the game down for the greatest number of purchasers" games, then sure.

In addition to Kafein's comments, here is one of the most common posts you will find from developers from games in development, or newly released.

"We are aware of the problem that owners of AMD cards are having and we are working on a fix. We should have this issue resolved soon(tm)."

Nvidia drivers simply work. AMD drivers are notorious for not. Another common post is "I rolled my AMD drivers back to version x.xx.xx and it seems to be working fine. I'll keep you posted."
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #382 on: January 25, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Not sure what to make of AMD myself, my 4890 is still going strong as ever, but the newer AMD cards have me concerned (95C being acceptable).
I've now gone with Nvidia, and I'm pretty impressed. The price, not so impressed, but I'm hoping it's got longevity.

Atm GPU wise, I'd go with a non-reference cooler R9 290 (if you are aiming high, best bang for buck imo) -> 770 -> 270x, lower than that seems fair game tbh.
Though I'd wait till the next Nvidia series to arrive, should cause a price drop of previous gens.

AMD is nice on a budget, just make sure you get a decent warranty :P. Driver comparisons, not had the best of time with Nvidia, never had trouble with AMD in the past. Though reputations place Nvidia on top.

On a SC note, when are people thinking dogfighting will come out?
Still late March/April?

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #383 on: January 25, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
Still late March/April?
No update on this since late December so they still aim for March/April http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule#Dogfighting_Module

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »
AMD is nice on a budget, just make sure you get a decent warranty :P. Driver comparisons, not had the best of time with Nvidia, never had trouble with AMD in the past. Though reputations place Nvidia on top.

Still late March/April?

Just the opposite. Never had a problem with Nvidia drivers, nobody I know has had problems with Nvidia drivers, while I have always had problems with AMD drivers in the past, and always see posts on the troubleshooting boards for AMD.

I sure hope the dogfighting module comes out in April, but it will depend upon whether the netcode is up and ready by then. They didn't want to have to write throwaway code and have us test it on a framework that won't be used in game.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 26, 2014, 07:07:04 am »
+1

Intel CPUs are way better than AMD ones, but way more expensive.  But I have an FX-6300 6 core and with some overclocking (its great for OC, which is very simple to do nowadays with software) it plays Battlefield 4 at 60 FPS on Ultra settings. This is a very good budget cpu (100 USD). Thing is most games aren't like BF4 and only use 4 cores still, and an i5 or i7 will dump all over AMD processors there. But honestly if you do mild overclocking you should be getting great performance from most games with a cheap and decent AMD cpu anyways. If you can afford it spend some more money on an Intel i5, but I have no complaints with what I got. Though once again, you need to OC these AMD chips to get good performance out of them, so learn how to do it if you don't know.

GPUs are a different story, AMD and Nvidia are competitively priced for performance at most levels, but I don't know much about the super high end. I would recommend just looking for the best discounts and sales for whatever tier of card you are interested in.

I have a Radeon 7950 and the closest competitor is the GTX 760. This is the 200-250 USD price range. I am very pleased with the performance of the Radeon 7950 since I can run anything I want maxed out with AA.

Spending more than 250 dollars on a graphics card is too much money for me, so if you are in my price range, either of those cards are excellent.

I've had both AMD and Nvidia in the past, sometimes new games have problems with one or the other, but both companies quickly release patches (always check for beta releases around the release of a new game) that fix things.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:10:15 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 33
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: iK
  • Game nicks: iK_Smithy
« Reply #386 on: January 26, 2014, 10:09:39 am »
+1
This thread has surprisingly, been incredibly helpful in terms of PC building, thanks everyone who contributed. :) 

On Topic:  The dogfighting module has been pushed back, again, to March or so but I mean, I'd rather wait, and let them get it done right, than rush out some bullshit and make me regret spending money on the project.  It's annoying to have to wait more but, I believe it'll be worth it.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »
waited for this for ages, im like a kid at xmas :C

also, this looks facinating for an oldschool eve onliner

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2014, 07:08:33 pm »
This thread has surprisingly, been incredibly helpful in terms of PC building, thanks everyone who contributed. :) 

On Topic:  The dogfighting module has been pushed back, again, to March or so but I mean, I'd rather wait, and let them get it done right, than rush out some bullshit and make me regret spending money on the project.  It's annoying to have to wait more but, I believe it'll be worth it.

Well on that PC building, another thing to consider. If you get an Nvidia based board for Intel, and put in an ATI card, PhysX will be disabled. So be aware of that little hitch.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #389 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »
Well on that PC building, another thing to consider. If you get an Nvidia based board for Intel, and put in an ATI card, PhysX will be disabled. So be aware of that little hitch.
Ofc it will be. The GPU does the calculation and not the mainboard. PhysX-ready is only for SLI setups relevant anyway.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.