Author Topic: Spear shield.  (Read 4992 times)

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
Spear shield.
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:53 am »
Anyway to make spear and shield slightly more effective? only being able to thrust even with the shortest of spears makes it pretty much a useless combo, your essentially waiting to get your shield broke. Maybe the spear could be a special 1h version, or possibly just let us press X and get a slightly different attack, even just an overhead.   

There's a whole kind of sets of characters that could become available because of this.   

I'm sure others will weigh in with how this could be balanced, or whether they even approve.

Given the talk about 1/2 slot items, maybe you could make a weak 1h 1slot version and a stronger 1h 2 slots alternative for those wanting to go pure spear / shield (as given my understanding a good shield and spear would equal 4 slots, so no room even for a low level sword).

All the best.
There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
Re: Spear shield.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:11:45 am »
Been complained, desired, complained, reposted, posted, reposted, again.....we have tried so many times to get this done. All they do is say its impossible and this post returns to the dust and waste of time.

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:29 am »
None of the other M&M mods got a 1handed spear?, is there no way of just using an overhead thrust animation?

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:28:55 am »
Vikingr has a secondary mode for shield and spear which makes it more suited for stabbing the riders of horses. Still only one attack direction though, but its something

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:35 am »
A spear and shield combo is made for support. Not for dueling or one-man-armys. Surrounded? Backpedal to your allies.

I do agree with the overhead stab though.

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:19 am »
It is a support class yes, but hard to support when your totally predictable.   In fact won't this patch make them even less viable? 

If a polearm and good shield will cost 4 slots then you can't even have a terrible sword to back you up in 1v1s (which will happen whether your supporting or not).

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
This is really gay. use a sword or scroll backwards and fight properly. Are you that unwilling to learn how to block that you have to ruin a weapon with a shield. It was my understanding that a shield spear combo was for fighting horsemen not infantry.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:40:13 pm by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:54:33 pm »
It is indeed a support role and works quite well.

I imagine the short spears will only take up 1 slot, but something like the Awlpike might take up 2, so it might be time for 1h/polearm hybrids who use spear/shield/sword?

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »
Just a couple points : Spear/shield isn't a dueling setup, but that doesn't mean that you can't 1v1 effectively. Really fast people will kill you, since the animation for S/S is a little slow, but you can learn to take down an average player pretty efficiently.

The problem with having an overhead attack with S/S, is what would the animation look like? If it looks anything like a normal thrust, then it'd be way too difficult to block, which would make it over powered.

Also, only the Huscarl shield and Board Shields are going to take double slots. Kite shield, Cav shield, Heater Shield, etc. will still allow you to bring a back up 1h to use if you get into an uncomfortable spot.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:20 pm »
The Spear-Shield combo is never meant to be a duelist setup.

The only people I see perform well with this Spartan configuration on a regular basis are Beeper, Onimaho (Spa), WaltF4 and NoobieATS.

Otherwise, this combo has always been meant as a teamwork configuration. You'll find a couple people every now and then running around with stabb-y weapons rocking out with them, because of the opponent-switch-off routine.

Rhuell and I tend to have a good time just running around piking stuff as a combo, and all we ever do is stab, and not really bother with the overheads. Albeit when we're doing the pike combo thing, it tends to mean we're not seriously playing at all (probably snickering in TS about how funny Sauce looks in his armor).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »
This is really gay. use a sword or scroll backwards and fight properly. Are you that unwilling to learn how to block that you have to ruin a weapon with a shield. It was my understanding that a shield spear combo was for fighting horsemen not infantry.

People who can block use shields as well. Why does everyone have to agree with how you want to play the game?  Shields are part of medevil fighting, don't be such a hater.

I don't expect it to be a dueling class, just adds more variation to the game, if you had a spear and a shield you could attack overhead - there are less realistic things in the game, and I don't mean realistic as in a 'everything should be period' kind of way.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:04:36 am »
If at all, I fight with a shortened spear. Even that is slow as hell with 110 wpf and usually gets me killed. Buff just a bit to make it a part-viable class please!

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
I agree as it stands there are few and far between players who can utilise the class as it is, why not make it semi-viable.  It's all well and good saying 'its a teamplay class', but one may as well go 2h  and just pike people from twice the distance away the way it stands. Also just stabbing is almost useless against anyone who can block downwards (consider someone using automatic as well)  , your not always 2v1 against the enemy and there are only so many times you can pretend your not looking at someone then swing round and thrust.

Offline Cumulonimbus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Spettro, Berlic
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 01:22:32 am »
Spear & shield is one of my favourite combos, it'd be nice to have an overhead thrust but alas, I doubt it'll ever happen. When I played spear & shield a while ago I could kill those that were careless and/or underestimated me one on one, but too often I had to throw my shield on my back so the enemy couldn't block every thrust.
It's main role as others have said is support. Stopping horseman, suprise poking at people in duels etc.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »
You guys are really lame. I would rather that there was a wider range of more specialized and effective spears than a new attack direction. That is longer spears that are more effective at countering cavalry and shorter ones for fighting infantry and S/S. This would increase the usability and general purposes of the whole spear weapon categories.  Spears are one of the oldest weapons in the world and they did work why, cant they be a little more effective at killing people.

some suggestions:Infantry spear, fighting spear, short spear, long spear and so on.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.