Author Topic: melee with bow  (Read 1951 times)

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
Re: melee with bow
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:13 pm »
It's bullshit? Well, not irl though, if you cannot grab your sidearm quick enough you better use your bow to defend your life. But I guess that happened either never or really rarely.

Wouldn't put it in. : ))

IRL you didn`t stand right infront of your enemy shotgunning him and kiting like a bauce after doing that.
A bow can`t really defend you against a trained melee fighter and would be destroyed after one proper blow.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »
Yes, like Joker said. That's why the suggestion doesn't make sense.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:09 am »
Considering that all unarmed punching animation use the right hand (the one not holding the bow) it could simply just use those, except it would just be the same as being unarmed.

Blocking would probably look really wonky though.

But really, if an archer gets in melee range they run away, that's just what they do.

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:09 am »
IRL you didn`t stand right infront of your enemy shotgunning him and kiting like a bauce after doing that.
A bow can`t really defend you against a trained melee fighter and would be destroyed after one proper blow.
these bows are not made of fragile wood man. im sure some bows are/were extremely heavy and durable.
No it is not, but the request is equal. There is no way a bow could represent a viable melee weapon. I think you can use it to block the blow of a sword in emergency cases, ruining the bow but saving your life, but that's already everything. A curved piece of wood which has its center of gravity in the middle is just not suited for hitting anybody.

That's why they suggested grenate launchers, both things are equally unrealistic. And your attitude of "let me know when it's implemented" didn't help it, probably.
its a joke relax holmes
Jackson And No Bank

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:18 am »
+1
That's why they suggested grenate launchers, both things are equally unrealistic. And your attitude of "let me know when it's implemented" didn't help it, probably.

No, they are not "equally" unrealistic. You are comparing a 20th century HE projectile weapon with the ability to swing a piece of wood. This is retarded. In Dwarf Fortress one can use the bow as a (crappy) makeshift melee weapon and it would work in cRPG too. But with that we would have to work out some weapon durability system and we are far too lazy for that. Archers have to bring their backup weapon if they wanna block and I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:16:25 am by Paul »

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:18 pm »
No, they are not "equally" unrealistic. You are comparing a 20th century HE projectile weapon with the ability to swing a piece of wood.

Actually I was comparing the chance for implementation...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:51 pm »
+1
Melee mode for ranged weapons has a much better chance of implementation than 20th century military equipment. Also a sword has its center of mass about in the middle just like a bow, a spear, a staff and whatever. That does not disqualify the bow from being used in melee. Actually if I weren't this lazy I'd implement it(if the other dev lazys agree) out of disgust over your point of view.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:26:05 pm by Paul »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »
Melee mode for ranged weapons has a much better chance of implementation than 20th century military equipment. Also a sword has its center of mass about in the middle just like a bow, a spear, a staff and whatever. That does not disqualify the bow from being used in melee. Actually if I weren't this lazy I'd implement it(if the other dev lazys agree) out of disgust over your point of view.

The question is the distribution of weight. A bow is much thicker in the middle than a sword, which means its tip has even less power when swung.

And I'd like to know what is so disgusting about my point of view. First of all the grenade launcher idea was not mine, and I think I answered the topic quite objectively, so I'd like to know where I disgust you percisely.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:19 am »
+3
The only reason archers have melee weapons (mostly 0 slot) is to lolblock everything once they are cornered, gain distance and then kite away. Now you want to get rid of the 0 slot weapon to do this with your bow so you dont waste time switching weapon and to take an additional quiver of arrows...?
Was this the idea or am I mistaken here. Please clarify.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
It's fun to kite around as an archer. I only bring my 0 slot pick out to downblock cav and spam attack em if they run into a wall/rocks.

Otherwise it's kitin errrry day to be able to shoot at a safe distance again. Even if i could use a Morningstar with 0 slot i would still kite because i'm an archer and thus i shoot people because that is what archers do and what i'm supposed to do. Only in emergency cases do i tend to switch to melee weaps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »

I would not want to melee with it. Just a simple downblock would be nice. That would ruin the current cavalry/archer balance though, so I reckon not  :(
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
Also a sword has its center of mass about in the middle just like a bow, a spear, a staff and whatever.

Actually the longsword's center of mass is just above the hilt (an inch to the blade or so) making it easier to control than many other weapons.

The blades usually have small markings to show where the spot is. Like in this Pavel Moc longsword:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: I'm not saying Joker's argument is all that valid though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:58:47 pm by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 04:51:23 pm »
Melee with bow would be great if you either could not block with it or it would break very quickly when blocking with it. Because seriously, that is what would happen very easily.

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:39 pm »
The only reason archers have melee weapons (mostly 0 slot) is to lolblock everything once they are cornered, gain distance and then kite away. Now you want to get rid of the 0 slot weapon to do this with your bow so you dont waste time switching weapon and to take an additional quiver of arrows...?
Was this the idea or am I mistaken here. Please clarify.
not even more arrows just less time switching weaps, less repairs and faster run speed. this is my first gen as archer and i seem to be doing shit tons of melee fighting
Jackson And No Bank