Author Topic: Pikemen build  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Pikemen build
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
What do you do when you are alone vs an 2h opponent?
Don't listen to them internet tough guys, they're just bragging. Winning in a 1 vs 1 as a pikeman is mostly dependent on your oponents failing rather than your skill. You basically have to stick it out till he makes a few mistakes. More agi does make it easier, but it's never going to be great. If he knows how to fight you you're only chance is kicking. Be unpredictable in your movement so you get a little range. Then they mostly just run right into your kick.

In general you should just not get into 1 vs 1 situations at all and just do good teamplay where your weapon excels.

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »
I usually do 24-18, but that's a level 31+ build. Totally worth it.

Offline theprojectnemesis

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 01:12:47 am »

Win. Footwork is all you need as a pikeman.

Then witch spear you using?

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:43:28 am »
15/24 is amazing. 18/21 is what master pikeman Relit is currently using. (MAX YOUR WPF! IT REALLY HELPS)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 03:19:19 am »
21/18 is by far the best build for a pikeman. I've tried others, but nothing's as good as that one. Great damage if you abuse the speed bonus, good movement to attack at all opportunities and fast enough to trick people in 1 vs. 1 or while being ganked. I love it to bits. :P

Learn your footwork and aiming with the stabs and you'll be one of the most feared units on the battlefield. What Teeth says about having to rely on enemy mistakes is not exactly right. You should be forcing them into those mistakes. I kill many good players in 1 on 1 with a pike by using good footwork and tricking them into attacking when they shouldn't. Some players are really hard to win over in a 1v1 with a pike though, Muffin being the one I don't like dueling with a pike myself.

Also, don't expect to be ripping teams apart if you're new to piking. The skill ceiling is extremely high and is the sole reason I still play the class. There's always room for improvement, just give it time and don't give up. :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 03:48:12 am »
21/18 is by far the best build for a pikeman. I've tried others, but nothing's as good as that one. Great damage if you abuse the speed bonus, good movement to attack at all opportunities and fast enough to trick people in 1 vs. 1 or while being ganked. I love it to bits. :P

21/18 is the best build for every melee class.  24/18 at either level 32 or level 33.  2pr0
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:41:00 am »
+1
If you feel like it, get 6 weapon master and hybrid pole/2h and bring a langes messer with you. It's a beautiful surprise against two-hand heroes who are looking for an easy kill.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 07:48:50 am »
21/18 is awesome for longspear. I've played 18/21 last gen and liked the speed very much and this gen I'm 21/15 with 7IF and 7PS so far and its so nice to play this build. Cant wait to get to 18 agi.
I've always favoured builds that have more agi than str so far but the durability and damage potential that 21/18 brings is so frickin awesome. Just be sure to stick with your allies, preferably the ones that are able to teamplay. Its also fun to guard a small group of archers on a cav map, even though you might not really get any points or just very few, it helps if you keep them alive - for the multi!
1vs1 is hard for me with longspear but thats cuz I suck at duels in general, but sometimes I win or manage to keep the enemy busy until reinforcements arrive.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:31 am »
I recommend 24/24 8PS 8AT (level 35)
:wink:

For level 30 I think 21/21 is the best.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:49 am »
How would you make a 21/21 build on lvl 30? That would be crap.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:20 am »
Best build for level 30 (and I can say that after almost 30 Generations of polearm/pikeman) is 21/18, maxed out wm, atl, powerstrike and 4 IF.

I would actually max IF instead of WM. 7 IF and 3 WM.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 02:56:33 am »
How would you make a 21/21 build on lvl 30? That would be crap.

It's not that bad if you wear medium armor and put 3 points into IF.  Max athletics and PS.  Its very convenient if you want to level past 30, as you can just keep converting attributes to skill points and flesh the build out.  However when I tried it as a 2hander with Kuyak I simply felt too squishy and too low WPF so I respecced to 21/18.

I respecced from level 33 24/18 pure 2hander to level 32 same build, but with 6 riding.  So I have 8 PS, 6 Athletics, and 3 IF and usually play as 2hander infantry anyways.  Same stat distribution for infantry as a level 30 build like that, but with a Lamellar Vest, Plate Mittens, and 24 strength I am fast, hard hitting, and tanky enough to stomp on Battle just as easily as max IF and 4 WM.

I miss the IF, but the WPF reduction from 4 WM to none is only noticeable in heavy armor.  I even tested my armor and +3 Great Sword/Long Sword with builds like 15/24, 8 WM, 170+ WPF.  There is no difference in swing speed at all, just bonus damage from the athletics that is still less than more PS.  Lack of HP is very noticeable, all ranged, cav, and melee gankers take off so much of your lifebar it kind of sucks.

I think 21/21 is better in heavier armor, but 24/18 is the best for medium.  Wouldn't recommend those builds at level 30 without having +3 chest or gloves to crutch on though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:01:14 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:48 am »
I never had any problems winning most 1vs1 situations with my long spear, even when I only had 15 agi. Of course the turn speed nerf made it a bit more difficult, but still I can win most 1vs1 situations, even against very fast shielders like kinngrimm. It´s possible even with a balanced build :)

If you miss the kick on kinngrim you are dead, it's like playing lottery.

Offline Daniisme

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 03:20:52 am »
27/12 le best for pike

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:33 am »
Pike is a support weapon. Hence you need to move fast and support your friends all over the place. I recommend a 18/21 build (its what I use). I also do not recommend a backup weapon (incoming Caita), it will just slow you down. Work on blocking and good footwork to prevent dying.

The long spear is less support and more about just raw hitting power. Strength heavier builds lend themselves better to this style of spear. 24/15 is a good build for this.