Author Topic: Give free untradable loompoints to new players.  (Read 4136 times)

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: Give free untradable loompoints to new players.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 06:24:03 pm »
+3
meh , looms don't grant immunity , they give very tiny bonuses compared to time spent to get them.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »
+2
just make leveling 1/3 faster for everyone
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
Looms are only really that great for a select few items (my old friendchery, cavalry, and armor)...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
Looms aint needed to keep on playing. Not really....

True, but they represent a huge mental wall once a new player understand everyone around him has them..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »
+2
Then they must play more. No one got them for free until now....
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »
+1
i dont get the downside of givin Newcomers an Mw for start
just can attract some more too stay at crpg and if every1 say that there is no really advantage of them why not????
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »
+1
remove heirlooms

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »
+1
remove heirlooms
just make leveling 1/3 faster for everyone

Disclaimer : this is from a guy that only uses a +3 armor

cRPG used to be more fun back when you regularly had level 43 and level 20 people around playing on the same server.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »
+1
Indeed new players are disadvantaged now...I remember when I started on crpg ( not so long ago compared to some of you) and it was already the steepest learning curve I had ever endured in all the online games I had ever played.To be honest, I would have had stopped playing after a month of constant deaths if it wasnt for an IRL friend who rocks at this game and convinced me to carry on.
So if this community wants some fresh blood, we are gonna have to lure the new players into thinking that they are having a great time dying all the time :D So I guess extra xp for the first two gens, or temporary heirlooms, etc.
For example, a newbie in his first gen would start directly at level 30 and have access to a special menu granting 'special' items (loomed or not, depends).
Anyway, the whole point is to avoid that the newbie starts as a pure peasant as he would die all the time, wouldnt feel rewarded for hitting someone ( as he would have like 4-5 ps and a bastard sword) and so would probably RQ after a few hours of gameplay.
Look at most MMO games, they give new players advantages to draf them in the game and enslave them into this system of constant grinding !
We could do the same :D
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »
I kinda agree...maybe FIRST CHAR FIRST GEN starts at lvl 25+
When you retire, then you go to lvl 1 like anyone else. 

As Akynos mentions, for most brand new players to cRPG the combo of being TRAGICALLY underskilled compared to the average cRPG veterans - AND - being low level is maybe too much.  Even good players can have a hard time really accomplishing much at low levels. 

People get hooked when they can eek out a couple kills :)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:19 pm »
If you're gonna give them a starting level I'd say 20, they get to experience 1 level of killing level 1-5s in EU_5.
But overall I'm against the idea.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »
Give all players as much experience as the oldest player in the game and give everyone free access to all masterwork items for all time and remove upkeep and let me change my build between deaths and change the gamemode to Team Deathmatch and change the name of the mod from cRPG to Native.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
+3
Luring new players by pretending cRPG is yet-another-FPS is not the right way to do it.

New players are not supposed to get kills and they won't get kills no matter how many free heirlooms and levels you give them. To play on a level playing field only to get utterly destroyed because they suck at the game is in no way more appealing than getting stomped because they don't have the stats and the skill.

Back when I joined cRPG myself (autumn 2010) there was a rather complete guide to the game. One of the most important things said in that guide was :

"As a peasant, your goal is to survive. Follow a high level knight, help him the best you can and rack up the xp"

I was okay at the game (played Native a lot) and had of course bad stats. I didn't feel entitled to get kills like so many players seem to be today. This "new" attitude is ruining the atmosphere. Back then fighting high level people was a bit like a boss battle. Yes it is unfair, but everything is unfair. And when you win an uphill combat, you feel much better than just getting another kill, I can assure you. A defeat was taken much more lightly since you had bad odds anyway.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
Again you fail to get the point.

1. This is not supposed to cater towards people who love super-challenging games. It's about catching NEW players and making them STAY. This is not happening at the moment if you look at the servers.

I'm not worried they will have an "easy" time, because they won't. cRPG now is more hardcore than ever.

2. Don't compare when you and me and most vets started playing.. Sure battlefield was uneven, but skill levels were not even near what they are now. The average player at EU1 now would beat most top players back then.

Sure gear or levels won't help them much, but i.ex start at lvl 25 would make them get their first loompoint faster and they wouldn't have to experience being a useless peasant until 2nd gen. I honestly don't see the problem with this.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »
Dunno why I haven't ever considered this, but yes ofcourse. As the average looms/person ratio increases, get new players up to speed by giving them a fraction of what everyone else already has. Alternatively, one could implement an xp bonus. A catchup system of sorts, to make the gap between old players and a new player decrease a little faster. Give him a big bonus when he starts out, that gradually slows down as he gets a few generations/millions in xp. Ofcourse all of this would have to be abuse proof.

Actually I'd much rather have looms and levels altogether removed from the game. Grinding is not good gameplay, the idea that it is has been thrown at us for years now, but we don't have to accept it. If gameplay is not interesting enough to keep you playing, you should stop doing it. Sadly I am one of the few to who grinding does not appeal it seems. I say we go to a system with a fixed level cap and respeccing with a money fee or a cooldown. No loom or level crutching.