Author Topic: Chill with the elitism please  (Read 11175 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Chill with the elitism please
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:41:19 am »
+1
I suck at parrying (people always call it manual block, but that sounds dumb).

I've practiced for hours in Native, duel server, etc, but I obviously just lack the required motor skills to parry in the heat of battle. Most people with my impairment just go Huscarl Shield/Side Sword, and do fine. I think 1h/shield is boring, so I loaded up on power strike and loomed a Great Long Bardiche instead (with the reasoning that with enough damage and reach, I could mask my horrible reflexes). I play almost exclusively on the NA Seige server, because the chaos of siege lends itself more to my playstyle (since I lose to peasants with practice longswords in any kind of duel situation).  I may not be able to parry, but I have fun cleaving people and whatnot.

Sometimes the stars align and and I end up with a lot of kills during a particular map. Usually on defense, when I'm able to stand on top of a ladder and just split skulls nonstop. When I actually have a decent score, I never brag/gloat in chat, I just play the game and have fun like always. When this happens, invariably some guy (that prides themselves on their parrying ability, apparently) starts fuming in chat about what a joke I am, how I make them sick, making fun of my awful parrying skill, etc.

If you are one of these people: please stop. I don't claim to be good at parrying. No where in the server rules does it say you have to be able to parry 75%+ of attacks to play on the server. If I get more kills than you some round, it doesn't mean I think I am more 'l33t' than you or whatever. So please chill with the elitism, and understand that not everyone can be as awesome at every aspect of the game as you are. I follow the rules, usually focus on the map objectives, and generally keep a low profile, so please just leave me alone and try not to let my poor parrying skill ruin your day.

Thanks

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Chill with the elitism please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:47:34 am »
Well said. +1

Although, It may not be elitism that is why they are mad, but rather that they are mad at themselves for poor performance.
If they were as great and consistent as they like to think they are, they would be outplaying you wouldn't they? :) Everyone has their own little complex.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:59:01 am »
Well said good sir!
+1
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:08:56 am »
... the chaos of siege lends itself more to my playstyle ...

EEEEE He said Chaos!!

On a more serious note, forget those guys who rag on you about that. They take the game way to seriously. Good on you having fun, tbh. People who take the game all srs n stuff really don't know how to pres butan and play gamm.

+1 awesome to you, sir. Well phrased.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:39:26 am »
@ phew, the peasants  with practise swords are actual so called "elite" 2 hand duelists looking to grow their cred by "owning" people with their "skills" so don't feel too bad to losing to them as they usually have the tuned builds and best pings. Native warband was never about 2 hand dueling anyways, but of having the right tools and situaional mindset. One packed a shield and pike, a dueling weapon and a one hander usually, with some people replacing pike with throwing weapons. Here the duelists are so concerned with their dueling that they refuse to pack pikes or shields and then call for cav and archery nerfs since they are afraid the pike and shield will weigh them down.

crpg is unfortunately full of these people, but at least strategus will make what they call easy mode people a lot more useful. If your having fun that is the point of playing. And sounds liek the ones complaining about you got a smackdown. Dead is dead, whether it by spamming, or anything else, so you outplayed the so called blocker, at least in those encounters.

Lastly the point of siege is not to display your elite blocking skills, but a race against the clock to capture or defend the flag. I remember the countless games lost because archers wished to show off headshots, or duelers were showing off feints on the walls. Meanwhile I can remember the few games where a team player with 200+ ping grabs multiple shields and stands in the middle of the enemies near flag spinning around to soak hits. thus preventing the capture of the flag till the cavalry literally arrived. Seems like you did a good job killing efficiently, not trying to show off some moves.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:50:11 am by kongxinga »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:40:31 am »
big ups man also +1 for you.
this game is serious business for way too many people, chill and have fun  :mrgreen:

Offline Nindur

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northern Empire Rebellion
  • Game nicks: N1nd3r9
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:46:01 am »
If people enjoyed the game we wouldn't need admins and I would be out of a job, I have kids to feed. Moar trollz needed in CRPG!!

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 03:59:17 am »

I've practiced for hours in Native, duel server, etc, but I obviously just lack the required motor skills to parry in the heat of battle. Most people with my impairment just go Huscarl Shield/Side Sword, and do fine. I think 1h/shield is boring, so I loaded up on power strike and loomed a Great Long Bardiche instead (with the reasoning that with enough damage and reach, I could mask my horrible reflexes). I play almost exclusively on the NA Seige server, because the chaos of siege lends itself more to my playstyle (since I lose to peasants with practice longswords in any kind of duel situation).  I may not be able to parry, but I have fun cleaving people and whatnot.

Sometimes the stars align and and I end up with a lot of kills during a particular map. Usually on defense, when I'm able to stand on top of a ladder and just split skulls nonstop. When I actually have a decent score, I never brag/gloat in chat, I just play the game and have fun like always. When this happens, invariably some guy (that prides themselves on their parrying ability, apparently) starts fuming in chat about what a joke I am, how I make them sick, making fun of my awful parrying skill, etc.

If you are one of these people: please stop. I don't claim to be good at parrying. No where in the server rules does it say you have to be able to parry 75%+ of attacks to play on the server. If I get more kills than you some round, it doesn't mean I think I am more 'l33t' than you or whatever. So please chill with the elitism, and understand that not everyone can be as awesome at every aspect of the game as you are. I follow the rules, usually focus on the map objectives, and generally keep a low profile, so please just leave me alone and try not to let my poor parrying skill ruin your day.

Thanks

Don't let taunts get to you dude, people have been being dicks online since before it was called the internet on BBS's people would be try to give ya grief, I mean if I even listened to 1% of statements made by anyone about me in this game while ingame I wouldn't play, easy solution you can actually edit your text size most of what is in chat is totally worthless

actually all ingame textchat is worthless/inane/incorrect or just plain rage/grief/flame trolls, also asking tips ingame another surefire way to get completely biased incorrect theories on the game

now that you know this play and enjoy
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:45 am »
+1 to you sir

Oh and, Kronic (or anyone), how would I go about change the in game text size?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:05:06 am by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:21:45 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot the "spammer" label. I see that thrown around a lot.

It always behooves the person with the longer, slower weapon to swing frequently (to keep their opponent at distance). Even if I had parry skills, why would I let someone with a steel pick (for instance) get up in my face, when I could just wail on his shield from a safe distance? "Spamming" just seems like the best strategy for long weapons, just like the swing/parry turn-based combat paradigm is probably the way to go with shorter 2-handers, and "facehugging" works for 1h/shield. Why do so many people insult others for using the most effective strategy for their weapon of choice?

I agree kongxinga; If I am an attacker, and some defender parries two of my swings in a row, I usually just scoot away toward the flag. I know that I will do more good for my team by chopping down a door or assaulting the flag than engaging in a 2-minute duel on the outskirts of the map. They have servers for that, but it ain't siege.

Offline Castor

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TS_Boyar_Castor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:24:57 am »

Thanks

+1 i hate elitist people too! god forbid we just play this game for fun. In the end, we all have a little spam in us  :wink:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:57 am »
Did a member of Chaos, one of the top five egotistical clans of all time, just +1 this thread?

In all seriousness though, most "Elitist" players are terrible in roles outside what they normally play.

I do understand where the original poster is coming from, but I just can not be bothered to care what other players outside my clan think anymore of my skills or playstyle. In all honesty I usually troll right back. An example would be whenever I am on EU and my old friend comes on the field I roll with my archer and take potshots at them and run even when I should not and refuse to ever fight in melee even if they are faster and will catch up (Try to let off just one more shot). When certain-players-who-shall-not-be-named come on, I use one of my two thrower alts and have fun throwing at them since they claim it requires no skill. I even refuse to ever block when fighting certain players and spam as much as I can when I think they are watching due to them raging about "no-skill" players.

So why not have fun and perpetuate what they say in an over-the-top way? I dunno, it amuses me to do so, but I am rather strange.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of the "Elite" players are completely unable to deal with a particular playstyle so just rejoice that there is someone out there that will dominate them in combat, and just smile when they rage about it in chat.

To be honest, I am far to busy joking on vent with friends or chatting with my clan on TS to ever be bothered to read chat, as the majority of it is just pure simple drivel that adds zero personal enjoyment.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:11:10 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Akryn

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 3
  • I will undoubtedly accidentally team-hit you.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Akryn
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24:35 am »
A very good mindset to have, just enjoy yourself no matter what.

+1
Blinky the Arabian Warhorse:  2009-2012
Winky the Destrier:                2012-present

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 08:30:44 am »
You make elitists nerdrage, job well done! (not trolling)

You should get more ATH and just backpeddal and outrange-hit or get a crushthrough. That will make them rage even more.

+1

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:19 am »
i was bad at parring too, it did make me upset because 2h is my favorite weapon and the only weapon i have ever used. so i stopped attacking and only defended and wore no gear so i was one hit. when you spend less time swining and more time seeing what attack you enemy is going to make you can start to understand and see the characters movement which allows you to block ahead of time (if that makes any sense).

start of with blocking people who already have their swing set. then try to go 1 on 1 with 2handers, and leave 1h shield users till the end
but you need a good ping and fast pc too.