Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity, formerly Project Eternity  (Read 16949 times)

Offline Papanowel

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Kikoolol
    • View Profile
    • www.sonsofexiled.fr
  • Faction: [SoE]
  • Game nicks: SoE_Papanowel SoE_Baraki (main)
Re: Project Eternity - kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »
I baked this game and it really sounds promising. When you look at what they did in the past, we will be happy.

I'm also looking for Wasteland 2.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »
It doesn't matter. I like to think of crowd funding as something for projects that don't have the means to finance themselves, not for big companies to cut their expenses.

I don't know but it doesn't look like Obsidian has the funds to produce their own game. Most studios like them aren't exactly what I would call a "big company" either. The producers are usually the biggest structures.

Also, I played NWN2 and while that's an average game for them I certainly want to play more of Obsidian.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:57:35 pm »
I don't know but it doesn't look like Obsidian has the funds to produce their own game. Most studios like them aren't exactly what I would call a "big company" either. The producers are usually the biggest structures.

They may not have the funds, but they can find them easily. I'm pretty sure they have more than a hundred employees, so not exactly small.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2046
  • Infamy: 154
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:17:00 am »
+3
That's Bioware you're talking about.

Obsidian is a small developer, founded by people who were once in Black Isle Studios.

As of lately they had to fire a lot of people.

And I'm sure Kickstarter is the only way to get funds for such a game.

Do you know anyone willing to invest in old school FRP with turn based combat? I don't and that's the reason why we don't see games like that anymore.

I actually do know one guy who's making something like Fallout/X-Com mix kinda of game but he's doing it alone and in his free time (Underrail).

Troika was epic dev studio but they never sold more than 200k copies of their games...

Not many game dev studio have more than 100 people working on the game. Valve has a lot less than that. That's why we're waiting for centuries to see new Half Life...

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 800
  • Infamy: 2670
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31:48 am »

How much to hear you singing, cmp?

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:15 am »
That's Bioware you're talking about.

Obsidian is a small developer, founded by people who were once in Black Isle Studios.

As of lately they had to fire a lot of people.

Oh, I thought that was Obsidian (isn't Bioware much bigger than that?). Nevermind then.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 04:14:41 am »
It doesn't matter. I like to think of crowd funding as something for projects that don't have the means to finance themselves, not for big companies to cut their expenses.

It does matter, OE arn't a huge company like EA or Ubisoft. They can't fund their own games which is why they get publishers to do it for em. Plus now adays how many major publishers want to publish a game like this? They're not common now a days.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:34:16 am »
It does matter, OE arn't a huge company like EA or Ubisoft. They can't fund their own games which is why they get publishers to do it for em. Plus now adays how many major publishers want to publish a game like this? They're not common now a days.

Read above maybe? I thought it was a 100+ company.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:04 am »
+1
Well, what I meant was they should at least tell you a bit about what the game is about, I find what the current game is more important than that they developed some game a few years ago.

Yeah, that is my main concern about the whole thing. There is no information besides of "give us your money and we will make some amazing stuff with it".
I have similar sounding e-mails in my spam filter.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1443
  • Infamy: 2198
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »
Read above maybe? I thought it was a 100+ company.

Even if they had that much people, they aren't financially successful 100+ employee company. Their games were great in most cases but that's not what people buy. People buy shit like CoD, not Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale or Arcanum.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2827
  • Infamy: 393
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:03 pm »
Yeah, that is my main concern about the whole thing. There is no information besides of "give us your money and we will make some amazing stuff with it".
I have similar sounding e-mails in my spam filter.

But those e-mails are sent by some guy called John Smith of Company inc. who will make you rich in 3 days if you follow his guide (aka give him 30$).

These guys made some wonderful games in the past, no reason not to thrust them.

For example, Peter Molyneux wouldn't get shit if he showed up on Kickstarter and not because he's bad dev but he has terrible reputation from the time when he worked with Microsoft.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2814
  • Infamy: 565
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »
You will find a CLOTH MAP OF THE GAME WORLD and the PROJECT ETERNITY CLOTH PATCH inside the box. The collector's edition box will include a cloth map just like the old RPGs that we love. The game patch is an embroidered high quality non-iron on patch. Game patches are a tradition at Obsidian, and we want to share that tradition with you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
Even if they had that much people, they aren't financially successful 100+ employee company. Their games were great in most cases but that's not what people buy. People buy shit like CoD, not Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale or Arcanum.

If he would start working on a new Black & White, and not like that piece of shit sequel to the first one, I would throw my money at Peter Molyneux, just saying. That game was so sandboxy and epic to play when I was a kid.

Also, first game ever to come up with mouse gestures to create spells and trigger actions, so it's at least something.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 2250
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »
And the only game with proper AI ever to be made :wink:

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:57 pm »
+1
But those e-mails are sent by some guy called John Smith of Company inc. who will make you rich in 3 days if you follow his guide (aka give him 30$).

These guys made some wonderful games in the past, no reason not to thrust them.

For example, Peter Molyneux wouldn't get shit if he showed up on Kickstarter and not because he's bad dev but he has terrible reputation from the time when he worked with Microsoft.

Dungeon Siege 3 was already mentioned.
Or lets take a look on the competitors like Bioware.
I want to trust them, but as but i need some information in return and not something vague like "we are planing something ... with things in it and other features".