Author Topic: Cav stacking  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Cav stacking
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »
If they all carried pikes as well? :P

Except when people around you are really too close, any weapon can do if you are aware. And I stress on the first part, it's often safer for cav to run in a big group of enemies as long as the first ones don't know you are there.

Hell, now that I carry throwing spears, I only have look at cav and they go another way. The experienced ones do. The others usually miss me and I miss them too because I'm terrible at throwing. I use it as a psychological weapon. There's always the off chance the projectile can hit you, and nobody likes that. It also attracts the attention of archers and crossbowmen that will fire at my shield instead of my teammates.

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »
The phrase "Cavalry is over-powered" is not much different than "Sun is hot", i.e. it does not introduce any ground breaking news. This game is about medieval, and cavalry should actually be overpowered. If you try to alter this truth with idiotic nerfs, then you are basically screwing up the reality mechanics. Every class is superior to any other, also it has weaknesses the same way.
  • You cannot whine about how cavalry kills you easily if you are not carrying a pike or you are just walking alone.
  • You cannot whine about archers if you are slow or you don't carry a shield.
  • You cannot whine about pikemen or archers if you are a cavalry.
That simple. It's rock-paper-scissors balance here. Instead of trying to nerf the cavalry, I suggest to introduce a class based balance on top of banner balance. Or just stick with a class player who is superior to the one you are afraid of.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:33 pm »
It's exactly what happened in real life as well.  Forward facing armies were dominant for quite a long time as a military tactic, but were weak from the flank.  This led to cavalry charges (when possible) on the enemies flanks, and destroyed them because they couldn't turn to face the incoming threat (it was slow to turn and face them, and then it left them vulnerable to the spearhead of your own infantry). 

Cavalry was very powerful for a while until armies started using pikes in their formations (lots and lots and lots of pikes).  Not to mention crossbows being able to be picked up by anyone with little training and being useful (en masse) on the battlefield. 

I wish for two things in c-rpg:

1) Infantry that was able to fight in formations (even loose, semi-formations) - this would require better communication in game, and game play mechanics to support it (i.e. being able to have people march at the same speed).

2)  Braceable pikes/spears/lances that if you run into them, you get hurt.  If you're riding a horse and run into them, you get skewered.  To expand on this, any weapon could be run into by anyone and cause damage (the weapon has an ability to inflict damage even if not being swung).  Also, horses should be able to get "stuck" on pikes, and basically stop their forward movement immediately (instead of the corpse turning into a ghost and flying through the pike).  Also, then I would like to see the bodies of horses be able to cause damage after they die.  Same with people, if someone jumps off a roof and lands on you, it's probably going to hurt them, but it should hurt you too if they fall on you. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »
+1
It's exactly what happened in real life as well.  Forward facing armies were dominant for quite a long time as a military tactic, but were weak from the flank.  This led to cavalry charges (when possible) on the enemies flanks, and destroyed them because they couldn't turn to face the incoming threat (it was slow to turn and face them, and then it left them vulnerable to the spearhead of your own infantry). 

Cavalry was very powerful for a while until armies started using pikes in their formations (lots and lots and lots of pikes).  Not to mention crossbows being able to be picked up by anyone with little training and being useful (en masse) on the battlefield. 

I wish for two things in c-rpg:

1) Infantry that was able to fight in formations (even loose, semi-formations) - this would require better communication in game, and game play mechanics to support it (i.e. being able to have people march at the same speed).

2)  Braceable pikes/spears/lances that if you run into them, you get hurt.  If you're riding a horse and run into them, you get skewered.  To expand on this, any weapon could be run into by anyone and cause damage (the weapon has an ability to inflict damage even if not being swung).  Also, horses should be able to get "stuck" on pikes, and basically stop their forward movement immediately (instead of the corpse turning into a ghost and flying through the pike).  Also, then I would like to see the bodies of horses be able to cause damage after they die.  Same with people, if someone jumps off a roof and lands on you, it's probably going to hurt them, but it should hurt you too if they fall on you.

I think all the wood handle weapons should take damage like shields do.... for blocking more than swinging but still
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 12:48:50 am »
+6
As this concerns game balance, I am opening a thread here hoping we can seriously discuss the matter

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:17 am »
+2
Odin got moderator so he could post a gif. on every single thread withouth any punishment   :mrgreen:

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 01:32:43 am »
Odin got moderator so he could post a gif. on every single thread withouth any punishment   :mrgreen:
I did it even before I got these fine blue blocks over my avatar :mrgreen:

I waited until my post would not affect on the thread outcome... I knew this was one of those threads that just don't produce good discussion but sweet chaotic forum games and just precisely everything what Lactose didn't want in this thread. Why? Because he locked the original thread and posted a link to this one. It is kinda obvious that the shitposters/flamers/trolls/godzillas come here after they see where the previous discussion is being continued...

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:32 am »
+1
The phrase "Cavalry is over-powered" is not much different than "Sun is hot", i.e. it does not introduce any ground breaking news. This game is about medieval, and cavalry should actually be overpowered. If you try to alter this truth with idiotic nerfs, then you are basically screwing up the reality mechanics. Every class is superior to any other, also it has weaknesses the same way.
  • You cannot whine about how cavalry kills you easily if you are not carrying a pike or you are just walking alone.
  • You cannot whine about archers if you are slow or you don't carry a shield.
  • You cannot whine about pikemen or archers if you are a cavalry.
That simple. It's rock-paper-scissors balance here. Instead of trying to nerf the cavalry, I suggest to introduce a class based balance on top of banner balance. Or just stick with a class player who is superior to the one you are afraid of.

What can't archer or cavalry whine about if they get killed?

And btw., balance is far more important than reality. And that's why - unlike in reality - cav should NOT be superior to any other class, as there would be no point in playing those other classes then.  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 01:49:27 am »
+4
BattalGazi is right in theory..

But when skill levels and competetiveness begin to equal out between the playerbase, the easier classes tend to get more numerous.

That's what we see now with cav.. It has happened many times in the past with archers, and the easy answer is NERF.

Of course, that's also the lamest and most unimaginative answer.... The main problem we have is devs not taking ANY ACTION whatsover and lets the situation devolve into a less fun game.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 01:53:39 am »
Well, before the devs. can do anything they also have to find a solution that fits with the cav players so they don't get a HUGE whine post wave  :|

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 01:58:08 am »
+2
Fuck the cav players, let them whine, they're ruining the game for everyone else.

Bring on the -1's, cav lobby. Your rage-tears fuel me.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 03:22:22 am »
Fuck the ninja players, let them whine, they're trying to ruin the game for everyone else.

Bring on the -1's, anti-cav lobby. Your rage-tears fuel me.

fix'd

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:30 am »
I predict your global moderator status won't last very long Odin.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Fandrall

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 5
  • Steppe Cap is back in style!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Fru_Apskaft
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:53 am »
+1
I dont know if its mine (and from the looks of it others) imagination but I often get the feeling "classes" are getting stacked in one team. Not only the guys from one clan but as Lactose described in his first thread. If this is true some class and maybe even lvl balancing system aswell as the banner balance should be implemented to create more balanced teams.

Banner balance in combination with a clan made up of many of the same class (or all like us GK) might create this stacking if there's many enough from that clan online. However if it does not create total imbalance classwise I for one would not want to be forced to play against my clanmates so I think banner balance should be the most important factor when creating teams.

All classes have strengths and weaknesses. So in theory a team with high concentration of one class should be easier to counter than an evenly mixed one. However I believe that teamwork is so much more important than both which class you play and how good you are individually. Therefor if one team use more teamwork than the other it will be at an advantage. And ofcourse a clan sitting on TS will have an easier time getting some teamwork going than a team of randomers without TS.

As for cav being OP im not sure. I dont feel OP but at the same time I feel that the speed and manueverability of the horse should come at a price. Maybe riding should be more expensive like HA to force cav players specc deeper into agi making them/us weaker once on foot. For that to work I think some tweaking of the horses is needed though.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:02 am »
+1
IMaybe riding should be more expensive like HA to force cav players specc deeper into agi making them/us weaker once on foot.

that would hurt the lower level casual players most...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!