Author Topic: Conquest Gametype: Combine Strategus Siege and Battle into 1 Bad Assed Mode  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest Gametype: Combine Strategus Siege and Battle into 1 Bad Assed Mode
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »
+3
I think it's a great idea.  I don't know if I or someone else has suggested something similar, but I know I've talked about it before.  I think what I suggested was just to make the Siege game mode, into a strategus type of game mode instead (for sieges).  Both sides get X amount of ticks, and whichever side runs out first, loses.

People always want to see more modes in cRPG, to keep it fresh.  Conquest type modes are very popular in teamwork games, and are frequently suggested, and I've read lots of good ideas by other players.  You in particular always post about how the classes are mostly balanced and have their roles, but the servers have no proper teamwork so it falls apart fast.  That's why a mode that encouraged and rewarded classes filling their niches on a battlefield would probably just make it a better game.

Something that I always remember from reading WW2 soldier's memoirs is just how expendable the rifleman was treated.  In cRPG, the melee infantry are usually the riflemen, there to throw themselves at each other, all while being torn apart by ranged and cavalry support, to fight over ground for the greater good of the team.  Nowadays, there is no greater good than points, and you don't get points by actually taking that god damn hill full of archers away from the enemy team.  You get shot from 4 different directions, then die hopeless and alone, hoping some str builds and lance cav left alive can track down 5-10 kiting ranged or horse xbows for a multi that sometimes doesn't even feel worth the bother.  This is very typical Battle server gameplay, and it probably turns many new players away, and burns veteran players out faster than need be.

Battle and Siege can be plenty fun, but that is more due to the really solid Warband game mechanics then the modes themselves.  One is a counter-strike clone, the other is.. well, Siege.  I just see a lot of wasted potential in all the new things the devs have done, such as Strategus, which could be integrated with existing elements of the other modes to create something that would really play to this game's strengths and be a real reason to play it over Native or any other mod.

My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:34 am »
This is a good idea because of the unrewarding battle game play cRPG AUS has died time and time again.(More recently everyone's including my own accounts have failed and i cant even join a server).

Anyway the suggestion part. I am willing to try my hand at map making and will design for you 1 special map. The fact is that we have only 3 or 4 balanced maps field by the river(very unsymmetrical), ruins(too broad), battle on ice(ruined by tree hitboxes) and arena (too small).  Maybe we should modify these original maps?
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:55:56 am »
Hmm, would upkeep be like siege? Every round no matter how long it takes?

Anyways, I am hoping something like this will be introduced, it sounds hella fun!
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 05:08:22 am »
bump
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:10:01 am »
+4
Smoothrich 2012

One of the main gripes of Conquest/Domination modes is that when maps are big some areas get abandoned fast, where-as then 1-3 people run around and fight for actual spots while everyone else is just clashing at whatever two spawning points are closest to each other.

Map design matters tremendously, because no matter what, even if there's tickets, a lot of people will still just spawn and head towards where ever the main clash is.

Some sort of encouragement is needed, if not in map design then in the mode/game design, something that will have people both defending and attacking for a purpose beyond simply ticket loss and ultimately round loss.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »
+1
^  too easy, just make three flags. One at spawn, one in the middlish, and one at enemy spawn. You have to own the flag to capture the next. Aka.....assault and defend. Cept both sides are assaulting/defending.

There ya go, everyone will fight over the same objective. Taking objectives is achieved by capping and stopping enemy advancement from their spawn. Spawn killing can be removed by making mini "forts" that can only be jumped out of but not into.

Why is siege more awesome than battle:

1) objective is not to Chase archers or xbowmen.
2) respawns.

So, why don't we fix that for battle and remove all the segregated server modes? No more battle and siege.....just battiege....cause it needed a new word for it. (Excludes dtv or rageball)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
+2
Bumping this because of recent IRC discussion about it.

I would really like to see this made, just a prototype using Field by the River.  Have 3 siege flags, one at the ruins and two at the default spawns.  Give each team a couple hundred tickets, have tickets bleed if you have less siege flags up.  Each siege flag you capture becomes a selectable spawn point.  If your team has no flags, big bleed in tickets and respawn in a protected area of the map close to your starting spawn.  Like those bullshit outside of map spawns in bugged Strategus maps, so you can't get spawn capped.  Beta test it and see how people like it.

Instead of nerfing classes and weapons for an outdated, counter-strike rip off single life Battle mode, make a gametype where classes aren't afraid to die, maps get used to their fullest potential, people won't find it necessary to either be high strength/heavy armor or kite endlessly to preserve 1 life, and everyone would have more fun!
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Yes, please.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Instead of nerfing classes and weapons for an outdated, counter-strike rip off single life Battle mode, make a gametype where classes aren't afraid to die, maps get used to their fullest potential, people won't find it necessary to either be high strength/heavy armor or kite endlessly to preserve 1 life, and everyone would have more fun!

I agree with your suggestion (it's what I am preaching the board up and down), except for that part.

I think it would be important to still keep the one life every player has. First of all, to keep the "battle" feeling. The second reason is: I do want people to be afraid of dying, it's what makes gameplay look realer and players use their brain.

We already have a shitload of autowalker-Rambo-lemmings, although we only have one life. If you gave them several lifes, they would play even more carelessly. But I think a change in game mode would be the perfect opportunity to give the game a little bit more depth my making it more tactical.

If you rewarded kills less than capturing and protecting flags, and conquering the flags, not killing the enemy would be the objective, I hope people would start to play together around the flags, instead of rushing off to kill some random shit. There would't be a lot of kiting any more, because horse archers or archers wouldn't get chased any more. Why should they? It's not the objective any more to kill them.

Make it a one-spawn-mode, I hope this would finally lead to players fighting in (loose) "formation". Funny enough, such a change would also shift class balance.  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
bamp
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
Yes please.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Read title, raped the + button, want want want.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Respawning should be on imo. Not like Battle. But yeah completely supporting this.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
+1
Smoothrich 2012

This , fuck Obama and Romney this man is the guy you murrikans look for !
Why do you have 2 parties anyway ? You need 3 parties , 3 opinions , 3rd one should be LLJK !
HATERS GONNA HATE MOFOS.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
you've been playing mod for 2 years and just had this epiphany now?  What are you, fuc en retahed?