Author Topic: Don't ever add stamina to the game  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Doppel

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Don't ever add stamina to the game
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:56 pm »
Stamina should totally be in the mod... There is no diversity on duelservers. 80% are lolfeinting, carousel spinning 2h, who run around you like a rabbit. Nobody could swing a damn greatsword like a stick for so long. Stamina would force the players (espacially 2h/polarm heroes) to think about thier attacks. You could combine different animations, if it's possible: usual 2h stab with good stmina --> polarm stab animation for 2h with low stamina
Add stamina, but buff the damage of big weapons, so that a good placed attack is rewarding and deadly.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 12:47:04 am »
just a horrible and unnecessary idea all round

besides, horses are built for endurance

if they want to change anything involving horses, make them take collision damage when you hit trees/buildings going 15mph, and if  the horse dies doing this the rider should take damage as well

Horses actually have pretty gimp stamina when blasting full speed for a length of time.

They can go long distances if they are just walking though.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:54 pm »
+1
I find I agree with Spook on game mechanics more than I feel comfortable with.  :lol:

Seriously though, stamina is a terrible idea. Ya, it's realistic, but I don't get on my computer and play video games because I want total realism.

The effects that stamina would have:

1. Less spam: Good, maybe? Though as I say all the time, spam is VERY EASY to counter unless you just screw up, or they have better footwork. For crying out loud, I have a 69 speed weapon and people rarely outspam me. The only time you can get outspammed while performing better footwork than your opponent is an extreme case like GMaul vs. katana, but that's the big downside of a weapon like the GMaul.

2. Less techniques (feinting, spinning, etc.) Ya, they look kind of silly when done over and over, but without these, fights between good players take forever. That leads to #3:

3. People avoiding tough fights, and chasing easier kills even more than they do already. Good player vs. Good player fights take time, and a fair bit of technique usage. This means that if they choose to fight each other, they won't be as capable later. No one wants that.

4. Less footwork. Terrible TERRIBLE consequence here. Footwork is one of the most important differentiating factors between a good player, and a bad player, imo. Why the hell would you want to reduce this factor?

TL:DR: Stamina does nothing but reduce the skill in the game. "Oh, but you need to conserve stamina" is a bullshit excuse. All the "conserving stamina" means, is more boring fights, and people avoiding good players more.

Besides, these aren't multi-hour long battles, save in strat (where you respawn). A trained warrior isn't going to get tired in 5 minutes. Hell, even some scrawny, malnourished peasant won't get tired that fast.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dr_Pockets

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dr_Pockets
  • IRC nick: Dr_Pockets
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:29 pm »
I really don't care that much about realism. To an extent yes, but when it starts taking away fun from the game. I don't want people with builds that make them stamina tanks that can outlast me in a fight.

I find I agree with Spook on game mechanics more than I feel comfortable with.  :lol:

Seriously though, stamina is a terrible idea. Ya, it's realistic, but I don't get on my computer and play video games because I want total realism.

The effects that stamina would have:

1. Less spam: Good, maybe? Though as I say all the time, spam is VERY EASY to counter unless you just screw up, or they have better footwork. For crying out loud, I have a 69 speed weapon and people rarely outspam me. The only time you can get outspammed while performing better footwork than your opponent is an extreme case like GMaul vs. katana, but that's the big downside of a weapon like the GMaul.

2. Less techniques (feinting, spinning, etc.) Ya, they look kind of silly when done over and over, but without these, fights between good players take forever. That leads to #3:

3. People avoiding tough fights, and chasing easier kills even more than they do already. Good player vs. Good player fights take time, and a fair bit of technique usage. This means that if they choose to fight each other, they won't be as capable later. No one wants that.

4. Less footwork. Terrible TERRIBLE consequence here. Footwork is one of the most important differentiating factors between a good player, and a bad player, imo. Why the hell would you want to reduce this factor?

TL:DR: Stamina does nothing but reduce the skill in the game. "Oh, but you need to conserve stamina" is a bullshit excuse. All the "conserving stamina" means, is more boring fights, and people avoiding good players more.

Besides, these aren't multi-hour long battles, save in strat (where you respawn). A trained warrior isn't going to get tired in 5 minutes. Hell, even some scrawny, malnourished peasant won't get tired that fast.

Zerran is completely correct.
GG Spookfans

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:07 pm »
+1

There's no real counter to spam. Sure any decent player will not die due to spam, but that doesn't mean it is countered.

Long forgotten is the time only Cicero could spam indefinitely and just block when needed. Now many people do that and it ruins every technique you can use, except chamberblocking and just as lame very smelly footwork.