Poll

Remove kiting and replace it with fighting

Yay
121 (81.2%)
Nay
28 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: How to make archery more fun for everyone  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Robert

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen_Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Scrumpy
  • IRC nick: Scrumpy
Re: How to make archery more fun for everyone
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »
Upkeep is very high, I'm already forced to choose a hammer/dagger and cloth armour, I wont be able to afford a second primary weapon as well.

My only way of damage is the bow and I'm not foolish I won't choose to fight a 2h heavy spec with a knife in cloth, hence the constant retreating.

If I do use a fighting axe I'm left with 1 quiver of 17 arrows, they don't last long and there my only way to dmg.

Maybe there should be a max limit to weapon points, capped at 150 so ppl put points in something else.

Cheers Robert

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »
I need to say, that the new arrow weight makes archers incapable of defending from high agility melee, and still allows 33-35 lvl ones to succesfully kite.
 - bagge, blackbow for e.g.

So that the problem is not solved, but made it worse, I know that archers are more accurate now, but that's not a better buff with that nerf.

Solutions:
i see more something like that :
when u bent your bow you lost all your athletics then u shot your bow is back in passiv position and your ath is back

and about the melee weapon i ask that since a while

imo archers started to kite when the slot weapon system appear coz they lost their way to defend
Replace slot system with encumbrance system. Done.

And a lot of others. And you came up with a worse one :(

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 08:55:27 am »
+1
Tbh if they took the time to get to 33-35 they deserve to have upperhand. And yeah, kiting archers are gay

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »
+1
This is a mighty high quality thread. I endorse the solutions and thread format; very delicate topic but it seems that you have found the solution good sir!
VERY nice boy :)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »
+1
Meh, best solution is to have an automatic system:

keep in mind that I have always played an archer, if you like I can find screenshots with the XP and Gold "round bonus" box in the corner, with me using a longbow and a maul, I have been playing since this mod was open to download, so I am NOT anti archer in ANY way, BUT

some kind of automatic system on website, when you enter your skills and wpf: if Archery WPF> 1, check athletics: if athletics > 6, automatic character delete, followed by onscreen message:"Your Just Too Gay to Play, Have a Nice Day" and a link to COD or WoT or some other lamefest.

Problem solved! Thanks everyone.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tigero

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player
  • Respecer, Dictator of holy virginal defenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »
BUMPBUMPBUMP YESYESYESsss

The humor might be fun for u, but it is fun on behalf of others.

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 09:12:04 am »
Just make bow slots 1 slot so they can take a melee weapon....its not complicated.  At lvl 33 almost 34 I have 4 ps and will ahve 6 at lvl 34, 4 ps is more then enough if you can use a winged mace or something like the military sickle.

For the let archers use armor suggestion, I already wear a byrnja all the time and it works just fine. You don't need to wear anything heavier really. If there is one thing archers can use is more medium armors implemented, or lower the WPF penalty from armors. NOW WHAT WE REALLY NEED AND ALWAYS AHVE IS SOME FUCKING ARCHER USABLE HERALDIC ARMORS. BEEN WAITING 2 YEARS. THAT IS ALL.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2012, 11:11:03 am »
+3
A fun and currently possible build is:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)Strength: 24
  • Agility: 12
  • Hit points: 75
  • Skills to attributes: 2
  • Ironflesh: 5
  • Power Strike: 8
  • Athletics: 4
  • Power Draw: 8
  • Weapon Master: 4
Would be pretty cool to see the mechanics encourage such a thing ^^ Personal preference is a HBS, Yumi and Bods
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:14:31 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kelden

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Kelden_Astralis
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:40 am »
If you want us to melee, most pure dedicated archers use a Rus Bow or greater, and are interested in being pure archers and want a damaging bow. This means I have to use a 2 slot bow which means I'm restricted to using 0 slot weapons.

This means I have no reason to spend any points into one-handed profiency nor to fight in melee unless I have no other choice (majority of team is dead and outnumbered).

I can actually melee decently but unless I have a better 0 slot with some actual weapon reach or a 1 slot 1he I'm not going to stop kiting or split my proficiency and melee unless I have no chance of winning.

<- Mindset of a rus bow archer

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27:03 am »
If you want us to melee, most pure dedicated archers use a Rus Bow or greater, and are interested in being pure archers and want a damaging bow. This means I have to use a 2 slot bow which means I'm restricted to using 0 slot weapons.

This means I have no reason to spend any points into one-handed profiency nor to fight in melee unless I have no other choice (majority of team is dead and outnumbered).

I can actually melee decently but unless I have a better 0 slot with some actual weapon reach or a 1 slot 1he I'm not going to stop kiting or split my proficiency and melee unless I have no chance of winning.

<- Mindset of a rus bow archer

As a fellow rus bow user I agree, it feels like every point is needed without any left for melee.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »
A fun and currently possible build is:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)Strength: 24
  • Agility: 12
  • Hit points: 75
  • Skills to attributes: 2
  • Ironflesh: 5
  • Power Strike: 8
  • Athletics: 4
  • Power Draw: 8
  • Weapon Master: 4
Would be pretty cool to see the mechanics encourage such a thing ^^ Personal preference is a HBS, Yumi and Bods
That's the current build on my archer alt. Works like a boss. Especially if you can change between Longbow and Horn bow and 1 slot or 2 slot melee weapon, depending on the map/number of players/side (if you're on siege). Even an unloomed 0-slot hammer can be a beast with 8 PS.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2013, 02:15:46 am »
+1
The archer
That's an archer. He's gay.

The problem
Gay kiting.

My proposed solution
Remove archers.

The archer
That's an archer. He's straight.

The problem
Straight kiting.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »
Bump for one solution with no obvious issues.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2013, 11:00:26 pm »
Bump for one solution with no obvious issues.

In my eyes it does have issues. It's not a bad solution at all, but it's nothing I would get exited about either.

I don't like archers being almost as good in melee as infantry. If you don't lower their ranged capabilities in exchange for the increased melee skills, the class would be OP.

Let me say it this way: if both archers and infantry have to be equally balanced, and archers have to be almost as good in melee as infantry, you would require infantry to be almost as good in ranged fighting as archers. In other words this means that archers should be only slightly better in raged fighting than infantry. But what is only slightly better than "nothing"? Because "nothing" is the ranged capability of infantry, by definition, else they would be ranged. Something between stone throwing peasants and a medium level horse archer?

Perhaps this is a little bit exaggerated, but I hope you know what I am aiming at. The differences between the classes would get smaller, and melee would be like hlf of the gameplay for archers, which means the overall amount of ranged fighting would lower. This sounds good to some people, I guess, but I'd just like to remember how incredibly plain, stale and one dimensional "melee only" is. The "success" of the melee only server is proof enough.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline En_Dotter

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Main: Qunicy_En_Dotter; Alts: Guardian_En_Dotter; Guardian_Spiralle
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2013, 07:51:49 pm »
+2
I find this solution silly. Yes i am an archer and no i dont kite cus i rely on my team. You should rely on your team too. Shields and cav should be enough to take out archers, and archers should take out infantry. The main problem is team play.
And i find slowing archers down so silly that im starting to assume some weird numbers for your IQ (and im sorry im saying this but its the truth). Slow down archer so that tincan can chase them down. Great.
TEAM PLAY!
Nothing is better than eternal happiness.
Eating a sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, eating a sandwich is better than eternal happiness.