Author Topic: Maps of Kafeins Best Bitch  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Maps of Kafeins Best Bitch
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »
+2
Finished testing my first finished map and taking some pics, also working on two other maps of quite a better quality but they ain't near done.

Siege:
(click to show/hide)

Battle:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:30:32 am by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Maps of Kafeins Best Bitch
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »
-Attempts to place defensive spawns as unretarded as possible while still keeping somewhat balance.

Do you know how defense spawn points function?  Unfortunately they are retarded at best, but if you know how they work you can minimize the retardedness :) (I posted something about it awhile ago)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »
Talking about trying to balance the map while still having all defense spawns at good positions (able to get quickly from each spawn to most of the choke points).
For example quite a few spawns are on the keep, at the flag, which was built with being able to get to the walls within 30 seconds.
The other half of the spawns (pretty sure this is gonna need tweaking so only one or two spawns are at the keep, flag camping might still work too well) are able to quickly get to the walls, to various tunnels, roofs, and ladders.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:48:26 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »
+1
About Cazawa Keep:

The map has a very nice layout and I like it very much, it should just be a bit more balanced for the attackers.

It would appreciate if you could add some cover here. Otherwise, attackers without shield could be way too easily shot from where i am standing in the picture. Just add a pile of barrels or somthing. The wall between the lower and the higher level is too far away to reach it after you jump down without getting shot. Thank you :D

Screenshot
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89401479/mapss.bmp
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:14 am »
Updated All Roads Lead To Mork If You Walk Them In Goats Image (that Jacko renamed to Goat Road  :cry: )

-Edited invisible walls to remove a few tedious holes
-Optimized wheat farm
-Fixed the worst of the bugs regarding rocks having horrible coalition meshes
-Fixed the issue with a large amount of props from the plant section disappearing
-Made map more horse friendly

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:16:52 pm »
+1
Checked out All Roads Lead To Mork If You Walk Them In Goats Image. Quite a funky map you got there. It's very nice looking, especially like the stretched bush in the water, although you stretched it rather far here and there. It's small though and the spawns are within shooting range. If you ask me there are few things as frustrating as getting shot when you just spawned. Combined with the cav unfriendliness and lack of good cover this map is archer heaven.

I'd really like to see you add some cover especially around the spawns. Just to increase the friendliness for infantry and crossbowman compared to archers and prevent dying on spawn without it being your fault. Some chest or man high rocks here and there would do the trick. Another thing which could be nice is to put some planks or something on the sides of the bridge, to provide some side cover, because I think in its current state its pretty much a no go for shieldless infantry.

(click to show/hide)
Some of the invisibordering has been done quite aggressively. You can usually walk through bushes in this game and there are loads of bushes on your map where you can also phase through, but these ones you can't and I am afraid it will surprise a lot of people. Especially cav coming over the bridge is going to be mad. Maybe you should just straight line it, or put some objects there like rocks or trees so people will expect being stopped more.

At the wheat farm there is a some floating yellow grass.

(click to show/hide)
Finally there is this, a weird bumpity bump on the bridge which occasionally happens. It doesn't seem to happen when I look down, very weird. As you can see there is nothing that seems to directly cause it, so I have no clue how you could fix that.

I'd put it on in its current state, but I hope you can do an update. Keep on mapping, you have a very good eye for scenery, just try to make maps that are fun for everyone.  :P

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »
I could put some fences or general props at the map edges to make it somewhat clear they're the actual edges, however I can't place many more trees or rocks, I'm already at the flora limit which bugged my map quite badly before I optimized the wheat field, I'll also try and improve the invisible walls as well (while you usually can walk through bushes I'd personally not usually expect a large line of bushes behind both spawns stretching across the entire map to be passable through though).
I won't put any extra railings on the bridge, as it was meant to be sort of a secondary way across and the other side of the map be the main focus, might even try and replace the bridge with one made like the tiny damaged one in Chasm if I see the bridge being too popular. I'll put some loose cover up around the spawns, don't expect it to be heavily fortified or seriously defensible, as I'd prefer to see people moving out of the spawn as quickly as possible instead of people continually camping on it.

I'll also find and lower that patch of flying grass.

By the way, do you know the stats (what's really important is the athletics) of the scene viewer? Something I'm working on includes several decently long gaps where you can either jump or find another way around, would be nice to know so I know how long I should make them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:53:20 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:38 pm »
Just host a game in the actual crpg module and you can test everything with a 0 ath naked dude.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »
(while you usually can walk through bushes I'd personally not usually expect a large line of bushes behind both spawns stretching across the entire map to be passable through though).
The problem is not the large line of bushes, that is fine and won't cause any problems, it's the pointy borders sticking out of the main line like I marked here which will probably surprise a lot of people.
(click to show/hide)

By the way, do you know the stats (what's really important is the athletics) of the scene viewer? Something I'm working on includes several decently long gaps where you can either jump or find another way around, would be nice to know so I know how long I should make them.
For reference. I did a little run on Ruins which took me 21 seconds with the scene editor character and which took me 27 seconds with my 21 agility and 7 athlethics cRPG character wearing this equipment (unsheated).

(click to show/hide)

Which leads me to conclude that the scene editor character should be able to make any jumps rather easily, because it is has a considerably higher top speed then most players.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
Just host a game in the actual crpg module and you can test everything with a 0 ath naked dude.
I know, but I don't really want 0 ath people able to do most of them, and it is a lot easier to tell how long a jump should be when you're with a char that can do the jumps than one who can't.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:50 pm »
The edit mode rouncey is really fast too, similar to a courser.  Just make your gaps really easy to jump in edit mode and it should work out -- people are really big pansies about jumping deathgaps ingame, go figure.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
The edit mode rouncey is really fast too, similar to a courser.  Just make your gaps really easy to jump in edit mode and it should work out -- people are really big pansies about jumping deathgaps ingame, go figure.
I had noticed that rounceys speed was insane, you can jump two "jumps" in one go with that horse.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:53 pm »
I dunno, generally you can be sure that if the scene editor or the 0ath naked dude can barely make a jump, most crpg players will definitely not make that one. I mean, there are active scene managers now, so just do what you think and if it doesn't work out you can always update it.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:51:18 am »
Made a patch that pretty much just added some tiny cover on the spawn+some other stuff, can't tell if it is above the flora limit though, my old way of sorting through the maps doesn't work anymore due to the patch.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 07:56:10 am »
New patch for Goat Road:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69146870/scn_goat_road.sco
Further optimized the wheat field and some bushes, tested in hosting mode, should finally be bellow the flora limit.
Made the bridge less wide to discourage usage, will replace it with an even thinner rope bridge if I still deem it a problem.
And most importantly: Moved the scarecrows strawhat so his head doesn't clip through it.

Will add more cover eventuallyish when I feel like it and got time, releasing this now so I won't miss the next patch or something and the update will wait three months.