Author Topic: Question about "Main" Character  (Read 908 times)

Offline Yggdrasill

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Question about "Main" Character
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:43 am »
Hi, I'm new to cRPG (I played the game like once when you could still get exp/money for kills) and I decided just because I generally like archery and am really bad at manual blocking, that I would make an archer.  Well, after getting DESTROYED by everything and everyone (Although my arrows connected, I never got the kill, and maybe helped my team overall, but nothing that I could show for it), I was wondering if the archer was a bad decision.  Then it really hit me in that my main character is a pure archer, no sword, just bows and arrows.  I wonder in Strategus (Right now my hero is just moving to a big city...) how badly that will affect me.  Will people hire archers? I feel like most of this game is melee combat, and archers don't provide much help.  I don't think I will ever get to the point of owning a fief, but I know in a 1v1 scenario I would pretty much be a goner because put a nord shield on them, and it's good game.

Also, how long (in hours) will it take to level my character to 31 to possibly reset him?

TL;DR/Get to the point...: My main character is an archer, is this a bad decision in Strategus? I would like to eventually join a group and help them control or gain fiefs.  Also, how long does it take to get to 31 (in hours?)

Thanks!

Ygg

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Question about "Main" Character
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:40:50 am »
Going archer is always a bad decision.

It takes 8.7 million exp or something till 31. You get 1000 exp per minute. Of course, there's still the multiplier, so maybe you get 2000 exp per minute on average, or even more.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Yggdrasill

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:44:55 am »
Why is going archer always a bad decision?

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:03 am »
Well, it is not directly a bad decision. It takes time to gain some skill in this game. That applies for both archery and melee combat. Archery is usually the first choice of new players as you don't directly have to go into melee combat. Never forget to use a sword (or any other 1 handed weapon) when going with a bow. It is important that you are able to block your enemies. Without a melee weapon you cannot even defend yourself.

(read guides for the way how to skill your character and other useful tips :) )

As you already know about retirements it is maybe also useful to know that loomed stuff improves the items' stats. Good example is your bow, more speed, more dmg, so really useful to loom it. People often claim that the only good archers are fully loomed (bow, arrows) and that is partly true. Every additional dmg point is really useful, but it also works without, depending on your own skill which improves in time.

Dont give up if you die quickly in melee, many people play this game for months, over a year or even up to two years or above since warband was released (and in beta). And they play on a daily basis. ;)
The first generations take some time to pass as you only get 1000 xp per tick as zagibu already said. With every retirement you get 30 xp more per tick which saves you 4 hours (while having x1).
For the first gen you will need about 80 hours, totally depending on your multiplier. You will often have x5 for some rounds or even maps, most times around x1 or x2 though.

Archers are needed in Strategus as range is always important, be it in a defense or attack of a castle or a simple field battle where archer support is really important for melee combat.
Also note that Strategus is a team game. You either need to be in a Strategus faction, a group of many people or even better in a clan for both Strategus and crpg.

PS: Regarding the "bad decision". You must know that Archers are really hated by many players.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:52:11 am by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Yggdrasill

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 03:07:42 am »
Okay, thanks a bunch! I grabbed a scimitar to put on my archer, and just got a long bow.

:D

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:10:35 am »
unless you are naturally gifted, archery is one of the hardest things to pick up in this game.  most veteran archers are packing 6 generations worth of heirloom points into their bow & arrows so their shots do much more damage and have better accuracy.

Its far easier to pick up a 2h'er or longspear and do well and help team.  Not to mention archery builds generally dont do well until LVL 27+ compared to 15-20 with melee builds.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »
If you want some ranged I would make a melee/crossbow build first. You might get bored as pure archer, especially when you can't hit anything because of cone of fire and travel time to the target. You need all your wpf into archery really unless you go quite low with power draw. My alt that I want to retire has 150 archery wpf, but it comes down to around 60 because he has 6 power draw, thats with staying within 10 weight limit. 170+ archery and 4 or 5 powerdraw might be ok tho
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:33:10 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login