Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64526 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
+1
Plus I need to get my infamy down.

Some cool stuff I figured out by myself too late, you might know this already who knows.

Get an embassy, sadly you need to re-construct it very often, so keep watching if it's still up

Get an artist, then spam "Comission Painting" if you can afford the magistrates. Boost your cult. tradition up the skies, then recruit an advisor that reduces infamy. Bam. Enjoy your -0.30 infamy advisor.

Also if you get nice tech, the national idea "Cabinet" is another -1.00 infamy per year. Yes, per year.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:10 pm »
Can't believe you still got native American nations left Overdriven, all mine usually die shortly after colonization starts.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »
I've been leaving them alone and focusing on the coastline/carribean for now. Portugal is the only other nation, now that Austria are out of it, that is really colonising anything in the US so got plenty of time  :D

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:41 am »
How the hell does some African nation I declare war on to not be bothered by the emperor about half my fiefs being stolen imperial property turn out to have over 2k gold.  :lol: Easiest money ever.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2013, 10:57:33 am »
I just realised, Mazovia has like 5 provinces on Teeth's HRE pic. That is more awesome than forming the HRE in 1500 xD

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:36 am »
I just realised, Mazovia has like 5 provinces on Teeth's HRE pic. That is more awesome than forming the HRE in 1500 xD
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Mazovia does not exist in that game anymore :twisted:

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:53 pm »
Pfft. In my latest game Transylvania ALMOST took over Europe. Almost.

They took the entire Balkan area, a chunk of Greece, all of Hungary, some of Poland. It started getting tough for them it looked like when they started fighting Austria. They won the first war and took two provinces. However, the second war wasn't so pretty. Bavaria was the emperor during the first war and for whatever reason didn't mind good ol' Vlad eating Austria. Austria became Emperor for the second war. They fought to a stalemate, then Aragon (Which had been a very large power in Anatolia) decided to join in. Aragon's rival DENMARK (Another large power in Anatolia & Ukraine. Yes Turk-land and Ukraine) joined in. Transyl got beat back, was forced to release some minor countries that got eaten up soon... parts of Greece and the Moldavia region were ceded to Aragon and Denmark.

Had to reload a save just to see what happened though. Was playing Georgia -> Transcaucasia so I just saw Vlad go from tiny to omgwtfbbq big and then small again and got a little confused. For those who haven't played Georgia, you don't get time to chill out and look at other peoples stuff. You just kinda go with whatever is given to you and try to survive. Though I may have taken the things given to me a little freely too much...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:24:35 pm by Zanze »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:09 pm »
Well I'm tempted to start a new game with someone a bit different. Reached the mid-1600's and pretty much solely down to my fleet of 200 ships if I go to war with someone there is not a damn thing they can do about it. The only thing stopping me stomping the America's is the infamy. I took all of Portugal's holdings with barely any fight from them as I had sunk all their ships and they only had two core provinces in NA to build troops. The only issue was if I annexed them and took them all it would cost me 80 infamy  :lol: So I decided to only Annex the ones which would join my separated provinces together so now I have 30 infamy. Bit annoying as in an out right war I could stomp so easily otherwise. But alas I have to take my time. Or just risk pissing every other nation off I suppose.

Portugal has that annoying Green blotch in just North East of Florida. It shrunk by just over 1/3 after I annexed provinces so they were pretty big:
(click to show/hide)

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:08 am »
This thread made me start playing again. Al thou I play the Death & Taxes mod. I'm sick of vanilla EU3 :P

Anyway started out with Sweden (obviously my favorite country). Suprisingly Norway sided with me against Denmark when they declared war, so I won it quite easily since Holstein and Hansa decided to help me as well. Won back Skåne and Halland early in the game.

Norway stayed as my allies, so did The Hansa when I declared war against the Teutonic Order to win some balticum provinces. Norway made peace with TO pretty early and the sneaky fuckers joined up Denmark when they declared war against me (Holstein and Hansa stayed out, bastards!) during my assualt on zie german templars. Al thou I manage to win 3 provinces from zie german templols and could focus on Den/Nor. Luckily they assualted during a siege with their combined 24k army, so I just charged in and killed them off with my 14k army, due to low morale. Thanks AI!

Now I just recovered from a bankruptcy and shitloads of rebellions. -3 stability is bad mmkay.

So far all good 8-)

Will post a screen when I play 100 years at least
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:38 am »
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Mazovia does not exist in that game anymore :twisted:

Btw I had salzburg vassalizing austria in one of my games :D

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:29 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2013, 02:04:01 am »
Btw I had salzburg vassalizing austria in one of my games :D
Not really that strange, Austria pretty much always get into a gigantic war with the vast majority of HRE against them.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2013, 03:40:56 am »
Took this screen a 4 years before forming Italy, gotta say, once you have the Italian area with five universities prebuilt you're fucking unstoppable. Is hard as hell getting there though, all the shit you gotta deal with from HRE trying to free your provinces, no one wanting to ally you, various wars with Austria and Milan, having to constantly be at war in order to not have some HRE bastard trying to make you give up your provinces making conquest next to impossible, and best of all, infamy, the infamy you gain from HRE land is insane.

Now 50 years have passed, I earn 450 gold a year, got 0 inflation, am topping all research, got a shitload of vassals, got amazing amounts of gold by going to war with most African or Balkan nations and the Ottoman Empire (through peace settlements, selling land I didn't really want but still took, and vassalizing some of them). I also just got out of a war with basically all of HRE, felt good destroying underdeveloped HRE armies, sorta fucked how my 3 Muricans can annihilate 20 Croatian regiments though.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:29 am »
Forgot the actual screenshot.

I'm missing something about the actual war making or it is actually extremely dumb in this game, starting to become extremely frustrating.
Actually makes me want to play Victoria II again, instead, which, imo, is a far superior game in this genre.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:19:34 am by [ptx] »

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:48 pm »
Forgot the actual screenshot.

I'm missing something about the actual war making or it is actually extremely dumb in this game, starting to become extremely frustrating.
Actually makes me want to play Victoria II again, instead, which, imo, is a far superior game in this genre.

War in EU3 is decided by a few factors, once you break it down it becomes easy.
Terrain. (Never fight in mountains if you can, or across rivers)
Supply Limit. (Never fight in deserts with big stacks of troops if you can.)
Generals. (Always have one, they transfer instantly between armies.)
Discipline(How much damage your troops do. The difference between 90% and 120% is doing 1-10 damage per tick, and 1000-2000 per tick.
Morale(How long your troops stay in battle. Essential early game, not as much late game.)
Technology. (You aren't Shaka Zulu, African spearman die HORRIBLY when fighting muskets.)

Past actual combat, your goals are...
Increase enemy war exhaustion. (The fastest way is having their giant army in a low supply limit province.)
Take over their land for more war exhaustion.
Kill their armies.
In that order...

So to win a war, use the above mechanics against your enemy as much as you can. Fight in your mountains or hills, do your best to have comparable tech, don't skimp on discipline. Take Military Drill early on if you can, amazing first tech. Do whatever it takes to get the enemy war exhaustion up before they do it to you. Lure them into desert provinces if you have and scorch the land. Let them stay and starve, then strike. Even on the offensive, the AI will attack you. So always play defense. Don't feel bad about scorching land, you won't ever make the long term if your short term gets annexed.

(My above Transcaucasia game started as Georgia. The only reason I survived was scorching EVERY SINGLE PROVINCE I owned in order to starve out the neighboring hordes.)