Author Topic: Armor penetration/bounce off  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Aseplhood

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Asepl, AseplHood
  • IRC nick: Asepl
Re: Armor penetration/bounce off
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »
+1
I agree with you Alex, heavy armor is kinda useless right now. It costs shitload of money to upkeep ( those who played as a tin can do know ). Around 10k per hour, if not more. It's really, really heavy, and makes you survive maybe one or two regular hits more.

So making it higher amount of armour/making the glances happen more often would be appreciated.
And what's funny, a small knobbed mace can slightly touch a full tin can, and make him fall instantly ( you know, the knockdown effect ). This... shouldn't happen. Especially when a, let's say big great long axe does shit to a tin can ( i mean damage only, no knockdown or something like that ), why would a 1h knobbed mace knockdown the guy then?
The Grand and Great, Asepl's Tavern of Gooodieeeees!

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »
I did like the old armor soak values better.  4 people glancing off goretooth's old school black plate made for a greater immersion, and also inspired me to use the english bill, to open dudes up like that.

It shouldn't be a flat 25% chance, but more based on the damage you would do, which is slightly random already.  That way you would need to get a nice held swing on a weak point, such as legs or head if using a cut weapon.

I dunno, the need for high pierce and blunt weapons is already apparent, we probably shouldn't revert to something that the devs and playerbase clearly saw an issue with.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 1193
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
+4
Doesn't work all the time, there is alot of people with high PS and even if you got the best armor + best gauntlet they can still kill you on average from 2-6 hits.

Killing people without having to block single enemy attack shouldn't work at all. You have to learn to block, when to block, when to attack, how to attack. If you don't know all those things, you should die to player who is obviously better.

I used to have 71 armor before looms nerf and I actually performed better than now in same armor because of the glances. Now I have better knowledge of the game but glancing helped me to do better as a worse player than I'm now. I'm against glancing, period.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 11:50:42 pm »
Get more PS or a pierce or blunt weapon.
Currently i have 7 PS but ...

... one hander only chambered left swing never bounce. Right swing bounce quite often, stab bounce 99% of the time, overhead is pretty much useless most of the time so bounce change doesn't matter really...

I actually think that bouncing/glancing chance should be reduced.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 12:45:27 am »
Killing people without having to block single enemy attack shouldn't work at all. You have to learn to block, when to block, when to attack, how to attack. If you don't know all those things, you should die to player who is obviously better.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. I mean, it's cool that a peasant with a wooden stick CAN kill a knight in shining armor, but I'm not sure if this encounter should always work out in favor of the peasant, if the knight is a noob and the peasant is not. Maybe it should. I can't decide.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2215
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 03:52:51 am »
I do understand what you're saying and I do partially agree. I like realism and that means peasant has no chances against plated knight.

However this is skill based game and one of the sweetest part of it is when skilled peasant kill a noob who just bought plate thinking he'll pwn everyone just because of that.

And I wasn't talking about sticks either. Yes, swords weren't good against plate at all but there are many thing that aren't realistic at all, we can't put realism somewhere and leave it elsewhere. In this case, plate being invulnerable to cut weapons will kill one important aspect of the game and render many weapons almost useless.

First thing that isn't realistic at all is whole attribute and skill point system. Warriors in middle age weren't 5 times stronger than each other or 5 times faster than each other and bullshit like we have in cRPG. This is RPG game but that means it's not realistic because attributes at level 30 and beyond allow you to create fantasy brute warriors, which never existed in history. Or warriors faster than Usain Bolt. Or knights who catch arrows and bolts with a buckler.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 08:01:36 am »
Or warriors faster than Usain Bolt. Or knights who catch arrows and bolts with a buckler.

NINJA!  8-)
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »
I do understand what you're saying and I do partially agree. I like realism and that means peasant has no chances against plated knight.

However this is skill based game and one of the sweetest part of it is when skilled peasant kill a noob who just bought plate thinking he'll pwn everyone just because of that.

And I wasn't talking about sticks either. Yes, swords weren't good against plate at all but there are many thing that aren't realistic at all, we can't put realism somewhere and leave it elsewhere. In this case, plate being invulnerable to cut weapons will kill one important aspect of the game and render many weapons almost useless.

First thing that isn't realistic at all is whole attribute and skill point system. Warriors in middle age weren't 5 times stronger than each other or 5 times faster than each other and bullshit like we have in cRPG. This is RPG game but that means it's not realistic because attributes at level 30 and beyond allow you to create fantasy brute warriors, which never existed in history. Or warriors faster than Usain Bolt. Or knights who catch arrows and bolts with a buckler.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bounce is a difficult thing. I think bounce chance should be increased for bad hits (bad distance or angle), but should be zero for good hits. I don't know if this is possible in Warband, but I think plate armor would be worth it again if bad hits would reliably bounce off. Currently, it's not worth it, because two peasants can attack a knight from both sides and just swing wildly and the constant interruption will make it impossible for the knight to get even one swing in.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?