Author Topic: Heavy armor and Agility in Strategus  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
Re: Heavy armor and Agility in Strategus
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 09:59:25 am »
@ Smoothrich - I don't understand what relation does your post to quote my message, otherwise - nice post, though I have a different opinion on this subject.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:46 am »
Power builds for obvious reasons have in many cases a significant advantage, but from my point of view this is not the key problem here and I don't want talk about balance.

I'm interested how come some factions have gold for such heavy armors for most of their units, since they have so small amount of caravans and shity short trade routes. Indeed amazingly!

My faction is very rich and has a perfectly organized economy, trade and logistics (cheating and exploiting with over 1000 CD keys), nevertheless this is not possible for us to produce such expensive equipment because in our case it is absolutely impossible to spend money so lavishly, but some factions, despite losing wars and  territory, still have tons of gold for best heavy equipment.

Price reduction does not explain anything, because I'm not talking about neutral locations and I have a concrete point of reference.

God wills it again? Don't even try to make us fools because we all have eyes and see what's going on. Before you write a lie, think about this for a while, because here are people who can verify a lot of different things...

Hate to say it Harpi, but you just ain't the trade demon you think you are ;D

Also don't forget you wiped ANT from the map, those guys have some serious crafting. I can pike up +3 gothic plate with bevor for only 151 gold, so I can get an army in the field with 1000 units of plate for 151000 which is about 60% of one trade run... and I'm in a 7 man clan... so yeah... not really a big deal for clans as big as Hospitaller and the Templars to knock all that money out.

And as I said before a lot of people have been sitting on fat wads of cash and the price cut has given them the impetus to inject the $$$ back into the economy and now those $$$ are trickling down in the form of DEATH! SHINNY SHINNY DEATH!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:02 am »
That would be awesome if it were true. Frank, I really hope you're right, but I'm afraid the truth is different.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:45 am »
That would be awesome if it were true. Frank, I really hope you're right, but I'm afraid the truth is different.

I think I am. I know that the Hospitallers spent a long time sitting around building up.

I'm not going to name names but there is a guy I consider Strat v3 MVP by about a thousand miles ahead of everyone else. He managed to pull together some where north of 1.5 million this round of strat... on his own. It's completely possible to pull enough money to keep all this plate in the field. I personally use low end mid tier armour that costs me 13 gold each with gauntlets that cost 10 gold, gives my guys about 51 armour and costs the FPF squat all to equip a rather large fighting force.

In my experience the big difference is the amount of high end pierce weapons you have. I mean I was throwing guys with Lamellar vest up ladders up ladders into tiny little gaps to get slaughtered by guys in Varangopoulos Armour with with plate mittens and some god awful heavy helmets and my boys managed to to win by 500 tickets. We used Ibirian maces, Broad One Handed Battle Axe, Military picks and morning stars and it just cut through them like they weren't there.

Chaos has black zilla probably the best morning star crafter playing strat (I would figure lemmy winks would have better crafting but I don't know) so if they got a 5 day breather and had him shit them out 24/7 then they would start causing some serious pain.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 12:49:04 pm »
@ Smoothrich - I don't understand what relation does your post to quote my message, otherwise - nice post, though I have a different opinion on this subject.

Mostly I started out talking about how silly gear values have inflated then went on to bitch about Strat.  Though I now know that you are indeed correct in that Hospitallers uses exploits (item duping that is now fixed) to amass tons of gold and gear, which is pretty cool for them to do I guess.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
Mostly I started out talking about how silly gear values have inflated then went on to bitch about Strat.  Though I now know that you are indeed correct in that Hospitallers uses exploits (item duping that is now fixed) to amass tons of gold and gear, which is pretty cool for them to do I guess.

Interesting, because I was thinking about someone else, but actually you can be right, because they are like communicating vessels. By the way, tell me how do you know about this because my view is based on hypothesis and observations only, so I have no way of proving, anyway, I'm not going to pretend to be a detective like one guy...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 05:24:40 pm »
+1
Couple good points brought up I'd like to make sure don't get lost.

1)  Strategus needs more incentive for people to fight. There should be a disadvantage to being peaceful with your neighbors for too long.  How you do that (stick and carrot both should be used) is up to devs.  I do like that they are making crafting dependent on your fief, so that's some incentive to fight for fiefs.  That's a carrot, I think one "stick" could be tax inefficiency.  The more fiefs you have, the more inefficient you are at taxing.

2)  There needs to be anti-siege equipment for defenders in battles.  Attackers have siege shields, siege towers, and catapults.  The defenders should have things they can throw/dump on enemies who are climbing up ladders.   This may make castles impossibly hard to take, so it would need to be carefully balanced. 

3)  Plate is good for sieges, but pierce, and blunt weapons (bonus for crushthrough or knockdown) are able to effectively negate plate.  Not to mention a lot of the pierce and blunt weapons are short, which is ideal for sieges.  You guys have to remember this version of strategus has been going on for almost a year.  And lots has changed since the beginning. 

One last point that Slamz brought up, that I think is a major "pro-tip" and hopefully I'm only stating the obvious, not giving people battle tactics:  Why don't more people sally out and attack on the open field?

Like slamz said, it's not like you don't see these 1000, or 2000 man armies coming.  They are moving SLOW.  They are generally siege armies, and thus have siege equipment.  Most of the time they are not built for open field battles.  If you sally out a cavalry brigade and attack them (along with other things you feel are beneficial to an open field battle) you're going to catch them off guard.  The siege army most likely has ladders and siege equipment, not horses and pikes. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »
I feel as if heavy armor should be extremely hard to maintain and achieve late game. Maybe it's just me but I don't find battles with all plate any fun. Even at a year in it should be hard to get.

I'd like to see late game strat still be medium armor but with either -

Depending on the army size have only a certain percent of plate in a army.

or

A army full of plate but would cost a shit ton, deal quite a bit of damage but if you ended up losing it or using it poorly costing you a big loss.

Alternatively they could limit how much plate a army is allowed to have. For example every army is only allowed 30% of their equipment being plate. This in my opinion would do a few things. First it would still allow the use of plate, but not let it go overboard in people decking out whole armies. Second it gives the faction/people more money to spend on cheaper gear thus gearing more people and creating more fights/larger battles.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 07:35:46 pm »
I'm not going to name names but there is a guy I consider Strat v3 MVP by about a thousand miles ahead of everyone else. He managed to pull together some where north of 1.5 million this round of strat... on his own. It's completely possible to pull enough money to keep all this plate in the field. I personally use low end mid tier armour that costs me 13 gold each with gauntlets that cost 10 gold, gives my guys about 51 armour and costs the FPF squat all to equip a rather large fighting force.

I know who you mean :) good guy, nice to work with.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 08:33:22 pm »
+1
lay off the drugs.

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
I know who this one man caravan is, give me 20k strat gold or I reveal your name
 - Stolen from Macropussy