Author Topic: Are lolstabbes gonna be fixed??  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Are lolstabbes gonna be fixed??
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:16 am »
stab animation was sooo much better before. crpg team really broke it tbh.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:53 am »
Shogun mod for Warband fixed spinning and stabbing, don't know how they did it. You were no longer able to spin your character as fast as mouse sensitivity would allow, made your character kind of twist at normal-ish speeds & made lolstabbing(spinning while thrusting to hit close range) pretty impossible, at least for me due to the character not being able to turn at warp speed.

I don't know how to explain it very well lol
I didn't test the other lolstab (aiming at the ground thrusting and pointing the camera to your opponent)

Are you talking about the singleplayer?  If so, that's true of even vanilla singleplayer.  I don't recall Shogun mod having multiplayer, so that's what I'm assuming you're talking about.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 03:38:52 pm »
The example I gave was the with the length 117 practice longsword. So the math should be:

Practice longsword: 117 + at least 85 = at least 202
Scythe: 182 + 19 = 201

Here is a video of me being in range with the practice longsword thrust but not in range with the scythe thrust. I remapped the attack button to my keyboard to insure that the orientations of the attacks was constant during the test.

The reach of the practice longsword thrust is certainly less than the length 190 heavy lance thrust. There seems to be very small variations in the weapon animations or the distances between objects as I could find positions at which both the practice longsword thrust and length 185 long awlpike thrust would both hit some attacks but not others without moving. Because of this, I think that the reach of the practice longsword thrust is nearly identical to the long awlpike thrust. This puts the reach of the two-handed thrust animation at about +87.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

You can't compare their thrusts, the scythes right swing is longer than it's thrust.
One of the first things i found out as peasent, just try it on the duel server.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 03:35:12 am »
You can't compare their thrusts, the scythes right swing is longer than it's thrust.

The scythe thrust adds more reach than either side swing attacks. This is also true for all polearms, one handed, and two handed weapons.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 04:07:09 am »
WaltF4 there is a distance where you can block the attack but it won't hit. It could be there are differences between hitting a person, hitting a block or hitting a wall.
Not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering how much bashing the wall is worth it. :)

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 04:51:20 am »
Are you talking about the singleplayer?  If so, that's true of even vanilla singleplayer.  I don't recall Shogun mod having multiplayer, so that's what I'm assuming you're talking about.

really wow maybe I just didn't play enough single player or ever notice it when I did, but yes Shogun single player mod.
So why couldn't they do that to multiplayer as well?

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:58 am »
WaltF4 there is a distance where you can block the attack but it won't hit. It could be there are differences between hitting a person, hitting a block or hitting a wall.
Not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering how much bashing the wall is worth it. :)

There is indeed a distance where a defender can block a thrust but would not be hit by the same thrust. However that does not change the distance between the attacker and the object that stops the thrust provided both thrusts are blocked or both thrusts strike the defender. Every test I have conducted with inanimate and live targets has yielded the same results for how the colliders interact.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:57 am »
Shouldn't the +reach on lolstab be about 30 and not 70+?

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:02 am »
Shouldn't the +reach on lolstab be about 30 and not 70+?

In testing they say it's 70+, no idea why. In a real-life scenario (well, in cRPG i mean :P), it has about ~30, pick a Glaive and you will see the Glaive's 158 range right swing outreaches the German Greatsword's stab. So that would mean max +range from stab is 157-123=+34.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 09:23:26 am »
In testing they say it's 70+, no idea why.

Because Waltf4 tested it, explained is methodology (so everybody can try it on their own instead of making silly claim) and with proof of his claim from video.

In a real-life scenario (well, in cRPG i mean :P), it has about ~30, pick a Glaive and you will see the Glaive's 158 160 range right swing outreaches the German Greatsword's stab. So that would mean max +range from stab is 157-123=+34.

I did test it and it does not, also in real life crpg there are other factor like timing, athletics, ping ......

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:00 am »
What I don't understand in Walt's test is the reason for using the Scythe for comparation.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 09:55:55 am »
Ping is probably an important factor for stabbing.

lets say you move with 5 km/h = 1,389 m/s
your ping is 100 ms = 0,1 s

1,389 m/s * 0,1 s = 0,1389 m more reach

But I dont know if the engine is interpolating here something to reduce the effect..

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
There is indeed a distance where a defender can block a thrust but would not be hit by the same thrust. However that does not change the distance between the attacker and the object that stops the thrust provided both thrusts are blocked or both thrusts strike the defender. Every test I have conducted with inanimate and live targets has yielded the same results for how the colliders interact.

But you used stabbing hobo's value of +19. Did stabbing hobo take into account the phantom reach? If he did that would throw your value off. Did you also test the practice sword vs scythe on someone who wasn't blocking?

As to the glaive vs german greatsword, I'd have to agree that it seems the glaive right swing has about the same reach as a german greatsword stab. However stabs bounce at extreme ranges, side swings not so much.

30 reach sounds too short, while 70 sounds too long. My gut tells me effective animation bonus is about 50. I have absolutely no proof though, just 1200 hours of mostly dueling experience.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 07:17:49 am »
What I don't understand in Walt's test is the reason for using the Scythe for comparation.

The length 182 scythe was used as it is a longest polearm that has less reach with a two handed thrust than the length 117 practice longsword thrust. The next longest polearm is the length 185 long awlpike which appears to have the same reach with a two handed thrust as the practice longsword thrust, at least to the precision of this testing method. The length 190 heavy lance two handed polearm thrust has more reach than the practice longsword thrust.

But you used stabbing hobo's value of +19. Did stabbing hobo take into account the phantom reach?

None of my testing has given me a reason to doubt the accuracy of his values. Even if his values were no longer correct, the current two handed weapon thrust would still adds between 66 and 72 more reach (most likely 67) than the current two handed polearm thrust animation.

Also, what phantom reach? The weapon mesh you see in-game does not determine the weapon collider behavior. The size and position of the weapon collider is determined by weapon length and animation. I do not know of any weapons in cRPG with obviously miss-matched weapon meshes and weapon lengths.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »
I was talking about the stab being blockable while not actually being able to hit the enemy. If stabbing hobo's value of +19 is based on being able to hit the enemy and not just being blockable wouldn't that throw of your value?