Poll

Random poll to see if people like :D

Yes
113 (79.6%)
No
29 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: WPF Requirements for all weapons?  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: WPF Requirements for all weapons?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »
Not sure if this would solve anything.
with Weapon master 5 you get 2 wpf's... 120/100

It might mean thrower hybrids would have to use darts, which excepting anti-cavalry, is a good choice anyway.
War darts are not the uber one shot 1 kill weapons that worry me the most. With 120 wpf a char like this might not be able to use his top tier melee weapon so it does weaken him.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »
I'm a pretty balanced hybrid build, and i don't honestly mind this as long as it is just a requirement rather than affecting how much it contributes to a skill. I throw javelins with 134 throwing and also have 100 polearm, for a warspear so this makes sense. But nerfing wpfs actual current effect would be in my idea  a bad thing, but i don't think you are suggesting this so :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 06:14:35 pm »
How will this not just make everyone go high agi builds instead? I like the idea of a requirements for higher tier weapons, but this will simply make people go 18/21 or similar.
Monkeys!

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
I think changing the WPF curve is needed as well. It was over nerfed in the big patch.

I say revert the WPF curve to the way it was last year. Without the retirement WPF carry-over, and an effective level cap at 30, spamming won't be an issue.

Changing the WPF curve back to the way it was before will give you a lot more flexibility balancing the WPF requirement as well.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »
How will this not just make everyone go high agi builds instead? I like the idea of a requirements for higher tier weapons, but this will simply make people go 18/21 or similar.

well three options i can come up with right now:
1. make wpf price go up for overall wpf spend instead of each skill on it's own.
2. use the other requirements to balance it out.
3. remove WM and give everyone the same wpf points to spend.

but yeah i guess most people would go for balanced builds.
imo the low str high agi disadvantage is the damage they dish out but it might need some further balancing.

EDIT: can't really judge how the WPF stuff was before the patch so maybe what the guy above me said, too  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:25:37 pm by Meow »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:50:17 pm »
To be honest, I think the way WM is handled in C-RPG is a very ingenious. It is one of only 2 skills in agility which all classes need (the other being athletics.) If you remove WM, you encourage even MORE people to go strength builds, and currently, strength builds rule supreme already. Agility builds tend to be few and far between these days because of the WPF nerf in January, and from the rumors about athletics being nerfed in a recent patch.

A WPF requirement that keeps WM would be a great solution, because it forces hybrids to invest more into agility, as opposed to the more effective strength attribute. It would solve a lot of the problems in the game.

I just don't envy you guys having to code WPF requirements into Warband.  :lol:
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »
YES!

THANK YOU.

+1
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:35 pm »
The way the system should work : The wpf requirements are in ADDITION to the current str/pd/pt requirements. This will keep all agi buffers from exploiting the system. Give a little boost to WM, but not too much. At 5 WM, you should be able to have 160 in one (1) category. 160 is a good number for the top tier weapons, like poleaxes, flamberges, sniper xbows, throwing lances, and sideswords. I'm sure we can fill an entire thread just discussing the weapon tiers, so I'll leave it there for now.

The reasoning behind the system : It'd be a boost for people that want to specialize in a weapon class, when there is currently no good reason too. It'd be a nerf for hybrids, who currently have no need to sacrifice anything for their builds. It would stop pure build melee players from exploiting the fact that you can still kill with a sniper xbow at 1 wpf. It would stop pure archers from pulling a poleaxe or flamberge out of their tails. If you are a melee player that is great at crossbowing, more power to you, but you're gonna be stuck with a bottom tier xbow. Add the wpf if you want to play a crossbowman. Archers, you may be really skilled at melee, but you are going to be stuck with the lower tier weapons. Sacrifice some of that archer wpf for a melee weapon if you want to use the good stuff.

Tweaks that will be needed (most likely). Un-nerf archery a bit. They don't need Pierce damage, but a bit higher cut damage at high wpf would help alleviate the pain of not being able to use the best melee weapons any longer. Decide what weapon goes into what tiers. You can probably divide them into 6 tiers, with a manageable number of wpf for each tier.

And the number one reason I'd love to see it : It works along the same lines as chadz's desire to make heirlooms special and meaningful. It'd be nice to see the top tier weapons in the hands of those who gave something up for them, rather than random joe-blows from all walks of life that came into some money.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:44 pm »
I agree with the basic idea maybe with some tweaks. At the very least, it would get rid of throwers/xbowers that have zero wpf but are still super effective. My problem has always been the number of projectiles flying through the air, not the power of those projectiles. And any steps that would require more skill point investments in some way, is a good thing.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Gatsby

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Goffredo; Montfort
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
Good idea to let horsemen dominate the game, no more inf. with Pike/Heavy Lance around. And by the way, to avoid throwing shit and arrows and bolts, use a shield. it works.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
Yes. Nerf them my old friends who like to use weps without WPF.
Turtles

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »
Why are people always trying to bag on us str builds? With 36 str I should be allowed to use anything but I only have 111 WPF so I oppose said idea
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 07:06:39 pm »
Because STR builds are cookie-cutters, while AGI is the underdog.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22:40 pm »
Good idea to let horsemen dominate the game, no more inf. with Pike/Heavy Lance around. And by the way, to avoid throwing shit and arrows and bolts, use a shield. it works.

I sure wish you'd take the time to explain your reasoning here. What I think you are saying is that people wouldn't be willing to spend a bit of wpf on a polearm to fill an anti cavalry role. Simple solution : Make Pike or Bamboo Spear a bottom tier polearm. There ya go tiger.

Yes. Nerf them my old friends who like to use weps without WPF.

Indeed.

Why are people always trying to bag on us str builds? With 36 str I should be allowed to use anything but I only have 111 WPF so I oppose said idea

Because stepping onto the battle field with no agility is kinda silly. I agree you should be able to lift any weapon you like, as well as peasants, horses, and small buildings, but wpf represents skill with a weapon, in game terms. You, as a player, may be extremely skilled, but the lumbering behemoth you're playing should have took the time to train with the weapons he plans to carry. With 111 wpf, you'd be able to use a large variety of weapons, just not the top tier ones. Of course, with 12 PS, you can one shot people with a wooden sword or staff, so what are you worried about? :P

Overall, it would help to balance the game quite a bit, and I believe it's worth looking into. Things can always be tweaked, that's why chadz has kept the game in beta status all these months. :D

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

A level 1 peasant can stop a horse with a pitchfork. Its not that hard. And a pike is a very low level weapon. If WPF was used, its not like a pike would require 150 points.
And you think someone should be required to use their skill points to carry a decent shield to avoid projectiles flung by people who require no skill points to use those items?
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch