Author Topic: Selling first loompoint - good idea?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Kuhparnicuhs

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Coalition
  • Game nicks: NilsFnils_HRE
Selling first loompoint - good idea?
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:58:15 pm »
I'm currently on my first gen as an arbalestier, and since I don't make a whole lot of money due to repairs, and crossbowing being so-so, I was planning on selling my first loompoint for about 520k so I can buy plate and a polearm and go to town, is this a terrible idea or a legitimate concept?

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Selling first loompoint - good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:46 pm »
Hey, my advice, price=540k, don't go tincan, tincan is boring, play something fun, and don't spend your money, save it, after two gens you should be able to buy a 3+ item, but don't go peasant either, play something you enjoy, especially if it isn't to upkeep heavy.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kuhparnicuhs

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Coalition
  • Game nicks: NilsFnils_HRE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »
Yeah, my concern is that I wouldn't like it, and I would have wasted a loompoint, I might just loom my arbalest, depending on if i get tired of it or not.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:22 pm »
I'd sell your first loompoint (sold my last one a few days ago for 560k and was only on the market for about 12 hours).  Then I'd buy a +1 item for hopefully around 350-400k and make a profit.

My advice to you would be to loom in this order (assuming you know what class you'll want to play):  horse (if cavalry), then your primary weapon, then your primary body armor.

Most people say to start looming gloves first, but that is only good advice if you plan on switching classes a lot, or if you don't know what you will play as.  Body is way better to loom than gloves, gloves give a +5 to body at the 3rd heirloom, but body armor gives +5 to body and legs at +3 heirlooms.

Also, IMO, you should always be trying to get a loomed item after each retirement, but you will also probably want to be selling most of your loompoints, and then buying something off the market.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »
Plate is not worth it, but the rest of your plan sounds good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:46 am »
+1
It's a great idea.

If you are even more patient however I have a better one. Go peasant for your next gen and above all else do not respec, just push through the pain. Then sell that loom point. Then you will have enough money to start playing the market and once you gain enough +3's you can use them to fund your upkeep and wear much higher gear.

Zagibu is right, plate isn't worth it. I use full plate and I can ditch about 10 points of Armour and have nearly the same survivability with a considerable decrease to cost.

Soon I will hit 76 body and 78 head armour and I will be most disappointed when I die to 3 hits anyway :D but it is what it is.

I'm gen 8 and I've got 4 +3s on me a loom point and 200k. If I hadn't sunk 1mill into strat and hadn't given away a couple of looms i would have 7 +3s and about 800k piss up the wall money.

Sell your points, play the market.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:29 am »
Sell your loom point for at least 580k.

You'd easily be able to sell it for 620k if you are patient enough. With that you can buy a loom for 350-450k. ;)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:03 am »
Play in a peasant outfit until you have enough money to buy what equipment you want to try.

Keep your loompoint and spend it once you know what you want. Try different things in different generations, and settle in something you like.
If you can't wait, you could loom medium armor and gloves, as you can use them in many roles. And they are considered more valuable than weapons, so you probably won't lose much if you want to trade them for something else after all.

Balance your loadout, so you never lose money in the long run. This way you don't need to adjust to different loadouts, and learn many styles at once. If you only play with the most expensive gear, you will spend all your loompoints.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:54:48 am »
+1
Play in a peasant outfit until you have enough money to buy what equipment you want to try.

Keep your loompoint and spend it once you know what you want. Try different things in different generations, and settle in something you like.
If you can't wait, you could loom medium armor and gloves, as you can use them in many roles. And they are considered more valuable than weapons, so you probably won't lose much if you want to trade them for something else after all

Balance your loadout, so you never lose money in the long run. This way you don't need to adjust to different loadouts, and learn many styles at once. If you only play with the most expensive gear, you will spend all your loompoints.

Well, this works too. But the thing is, that first loom point is better spent either sold or accumulated for one more gen.

That way, he can get a +3 in just 2 gens. Because 2 loom points = 1 +3. Doesn't apply to extremely rare or new items.

And the first +1 should be a weapon, as the weapon category has a wider range of items to trade between. This way he has the weapon he planned to loom plus a lot of money to boot.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 305
  • Infamy: 657
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:54:57 am »
+1
Check loom point prices on market. Wait few hours before lottery draw, create an offer similar to 4th or 5th lowest on the list. Wait till lottery is over and you'll sell your point pretty quickly.

Price of loompoints is going down, so you better sell them as fast you can but don't accept stupid offers.

Before next lottery drawing lowest loom offer will be around 520k gold. After that it will just back to 540k. But it slowly goes down. Reason for that is that more people are retiring than before.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
Well, this works too. But the thing is, that first loom point is better spent either sold or accumulated for one more gen.

That way, he can get a +3 in just 2 gens. Because 2 loom points = 1 +3. Doesn't apply to extremely rare or new items.

This is true. If he knows what he wants, and the market offers a possibility, he should take it.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 03:46:20 pm »
don't play as a peasant for a gen, you will hate the game.

That said, gear is not gonna make you much better if you are a newbie, it's only a small component of battlefield success. Switching to plate certainly won't do much for you besides bankrupt you. This game has a steep skill curve and it takes a while for most players to learn how to play well.

If you wanna make money, keep your gear cost under 25k. Go buy mid-range gear that's only marginally less effective than top range, like a long hafted spiked mace, hafted blade, or long bardiche. Buy some mail in the 3.5k to 5k range and a helm that's around the same armor rating as your body. Throw in some cheap gloves and boots + another 3k and your total gear cost is now around 17.5k. You will make over 200k per gen and be learning how to play wearing fighting gear. Much more productive than leeching in cloth and learning nothing, and not having fun either.

Hold onto your loom point, 2 loom points (+ maybe a bit of cash like 25-50k if you are impatient to close a deal) can get you just about any +3 weapon and most types of other items besides some uncommon ones.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1642
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 07:02:46 pm »
don't play as a peasant for a gen, you will hate the game.

Depends. I used to play as a peasant for nearly 10 generations before I decided to stop retiring. It's fun and will make you a better player.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
don't go full peasant. You will die from one hit,from one arrow,from one bump,that is not fun at all. Use gear that costs all together under 30k and you should be fine.
Sell that loompoint or you can keep it,and then when you retire second time ,you can post offer on market 2 loompoints for +3 item.
Maybie you will need to add small ammount of gold,but you will have that gold if you keep gear cost under 30k.

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:25 am »
Yes, selling 1st loompoint is very effective if there is a request for gold offering an item you want.
You can get 550+ gold for loompoint then you can buy almost any +1 heirloom on market with gold leftover. Each time you get up to +3 heirloom you should also do the process again.