Poll

What is your preference when playing cRPG?

I love tactics, I don't care much about fighting skills
2 (1.4%)
I love tactics, but fighting can also be fun
20 (14.4%)
I love tactics and fighting equally
48 (34.5%)
I love fighting, but using tactics is also nice
36 (25.9%)
I love fighting, I don't care about tactics at all
8 (5.8%)
It depends on my mood/the situation (strat or not, only with clanmates, etc.)
25 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Survey - Your basic game preferences  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Survey - Your basic game preferences
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »
+1
Actually, most wannabe Napoleon's are old guys like Phazh.

I have lead on occasions as well but it only works for a few maps, because the players get tired of being switched around all the time and it's hard to co-ordinate lazy people.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »
I see, so tactics are anything more than

"just rush the weaklings and kill them!!" 

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Speaking of "commanders", some people are really role models and many players will give their (virtual) life for them, unfortunately most of the bossy players are kiddies or under-average players. Blending both on the battlefield confuse many players

Well, as sad as it is, but with the current level of cooperation on the servers everything which goes beyond "[W]-autowalker-lemming-Rambos" is tactics.

Don't forget that the game doesn't necessarily support the same tactics like in real life. While fighting shoulder to shoulder in RL is benefitial to protect each other, it doesn't work in cRPG. You would teamwound everyone around you, and you couldn't fight the enemy properly because you need footwork to move your body. Moral is also less important. It still matters, you often see it when a team gets literally steamrolled although they had the same preconditions, but in general people are less afraid to die and thus there is no routing. Cavalry attacks don't work the same way like in RL, because compared to RL horsemen are much more vulnerable.

This further reduces the amount of tactics which are viable ingame. I wrote already a few tactic guides in the newbie forum, and I think in the meanwhile those topics should be the last ones on the last forum page (they were some of the first to be written in this forum). And during all that time I learned only few things that I could add. Most stuff is really limited.

Concerning the matter of "leading" instead of only "commanding": I guess one factor I read somewhere about was, that your reflexes for online gaming are the best at the age of about 17. Then they will decrease a bit until middle/end of twenties, and then decrease faster. It definitely is not the only or the deciding factor, but as reflexes are important for such a skill based game like cRPG I guess it makes some sense. Especially if Bjord claims that the wannabe commanders are usually older, which could be an indicator that they try to gain success over their advantage (experience -> tactics) than disadvantage (worse reflexes).

It's only a theory though, and I can't confirm it as I never was a powergamer and thus can't speak from my own experience. And I am 26 already, so I'm on my way down already  :lol:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you read your posts before submitting them?

If so, how come you do not have a head ache?
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
Would you mind to explain why I should have a headache?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »
+1
I love it when a team finally bands together and moves in formation after losing a few rounds on open plains maps. Makes the "boring" map more fun.

STAND CLOSER TOGETHER. KEEP YOUR FORMATION. DEFEND THE FLAG!

CHARGE!

Build a siege tower!
I am building a siege tower!
RUHHH
I am manning the siege tower!
RUHHH
RUHHH
Hello!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:25 pm »
tactics are cool, killing is cooler
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:54:48 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:13 pm »
Tactics are nice but I get more fun out of killing people in a 1v1 or being outnumbered, 1v3 for example. Far more fun for me than being part of a team since the stakes are higher and the results are mine alone.

Offline Spanish

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 106
  • 2h Cav Star of the year award winner.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The official Drama Llama of Knights_Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Spaniard, BowPersona, Span
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:57 am »
Murdering people is the best especially if you know them so besting them 1v1 makes victory that much sweeter. But I love the tactics especially when it includes crushing other clans who claim that mine doesn't have any or incapable of doing so.
My horse is named pebbles and we like to try.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:22 am »
My favorite part of cRPG is weaving in and out of the front lines, killing or disengaging from an enemy I'm fighting to right swing the backs of enemies who overextend.

I also like anytime I kill an enemy 1v1 in battle with a spinning right swing or left swing.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 04:11:34 am »
Funny thing is all the cleaver tatic fellas allways get raped because the best strat in cRPG is....

Dum dum dee   FULL NOOB RETARDED BLOB CHARGE!!! allways have been an allways will be no matter how much you try an reenact the battle of agincourt..

BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB BLOB  PLZ WE NEED MOAR BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »
Funny thing is all the cleaver tatic fellas allways get raped because the best strat in cRPG is....

Dum dum dee   FULL NOOB RETARDED BLOB CHARGE!!! allways have been an allways will be no matter how much you try an reenact the battle of agincourt..

That's actually wrong and often enough (=sometimes, when everybody listenend to a tactic) I saw those blobs running into their doom.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »
+2
Let me propose a situation to you.   

You are fighting a opponent who you know out classes you but you have a team mate near by.  Do you shift your opponent so the teammate can score the kill/ free hit or do you shift him so your team mate can't make a clear attack?

Now personally I will ALWAYS try and shift anyone I'm fighting so some one can get a free hit.  Even if I KNOW with out doubt I can take him.  Why take the risk of him getting lucky.   But the back and forth of a good fight is rewarding.   So I guess I love the fighting more but I love it when teammates can see an opening I make and take advantage of it.