Author Topic: what is the reason for slowing down overhead spinning  (Read 5371 times)

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
what is the reason for slowing down overhead spinning
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:30:19 pm »
+14
i could see stabs, maybe, because of how weird and buggy they are. but there's no reason to nerf overhead turn speed, it just slows down combat and makes combat even more awkward and clunky. also leads to situations with two guys spinning around each other trying to land an overhead. it's not really a nerf to great mauls or other crushthrough weapons because it only requires a small amount of playstyle adjustment to make it work in the crushthrough role but it definitely reduced depth in duels between other weapons. also a giant nerf to all 1/2 direction weapons, which were already under-used.

what is the reason for the change?
FREE ALLERS

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Re: what is the reason for slowing down overhead spinning
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »
+4
I don't get it either.

While I don't agree with the reasons for slowing down stabs, I can see why they did it.

Overheads, however, were already quite possibly the hardest type of attack to aim properly, and now it's an absolute pain in the ass to hit anyone with one if they aren't just standing still. They were also the best attack to use while in a large group, but now they run almost as high a chance as sideswings of TWing, and have far less chance to actually hit the intended target.  :|

Running headlong into a pack of decent players used to mean you would find your head being cleaved open very shortly, now it's just a way to get a few easy kills.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:48:30 pm »
+3
yeah i've definitely noticed an increase in "gauntlet* runners" too, cheesy but it works since nobody can really hit you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:54:42 pm by a_bear_irl »
FREE ALLERS

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »
+7
This really nerfed teamwork a lot. It just makes teammates team wound each other and makes it easier to fight against groups just by weaving through opponents.

Not sure what was trying to be fixed here with the change. Active hitboxes while sliding along the ground at the end of the overhead animation was the only annoying thing I could think of, but that was tolerable and reducing the turn speed wouldn't have changed this much.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:40 pm »
+1
I'm okay with the turning nerf affecting overheads, since it made the 1h stab so great.

I love the new 1h stab.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:36 pm »
This was a really bad way to go about what I assume was a nerf targetting at 2h dragging their overheads at end of swing. Should have just lessend the weapon's active time a bit at end.

Overhead was never an overpowered attack for any weapon class, but now it is just dangerous to try and use it.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »
was it a nerf to "overhead spinning" or just a nerf to spinning in general?   which, of course, would effect overhead tracking.

it was my understanding that the spin nerf was aimed at the awlpike/longspear spinstabbing no?  unfortunately it affected everything...

kinda getting used to the new spin speed but its still weird.  overheard are def more TW prone now.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »
I overhead just like I always did. Quit spinning your mouse. It isn't a Top!

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:59:44 pm »
I overhead just like I always did. Quit spinning your mouse. It isn't a Top!

I overhead just like I've always been overheading too.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
The limitations are a lot more noticable at shorter ranges. You only have like 30-40 degrees of adjustment now while a moving target can easily track out of that range at point blank range (only takes like 2 steps). The only way to compensate now is to lead before you release instead of adjusting while it comes down, and taking this extra time is straight up a nerf to the attack, since it makes you more vulnerable by increasing the wind up time.

Again the overhead attack was not OP before, it was already a slow attack that was only used situationally, and this nerf just made it very weak. So what exactly positive was accomplished here? All I see is a negative in the game becoming slightly more boring as diversity of attacks is diminished.

As others have said, it has also indirectly nerfed teamwork/formations since overhead was the most accurate attack around teammates, so nerfing it increases the survivability of kamikaze weavers who run into 5 guys.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »
+4
I cant chamber lances anymore and then hit the horse in the ass, not even close. I can't chamber stabs anymore and hit the player if they sidestep with a decent amount of athlethics. I can fight off ganks by doing quick turns and overheads. 1h was so much fun because it had 4 amazing animations, even though most shielders only use 1. Now you fucked up two of those and made me a leftswingspammer like everybody else.

Oh and pikes and longspears are still really powerful, its just all the shorter ones and 1h that got raped by this change. I thought lolpiking was the reason, but I'm not even sure now.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »
+2
I use a 70 length mace. I think I know how it handles. The only difference in the old way and the new way, is after you miss, you can no longer lol-drag your sack across their face with a mouse spin for the same damage as a fully connected overhead to the brain.  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Waylit

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: chinaserf1
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »
I've seen people jump-180 stab with the Longspear and Pike still, you just have to guide your mouse more smoothly.  Trying to whip it around like you used to doesn't work because the nerf kicks in as you try to spin faster.  But spinning smoothly at the max rate it allows, you can still jump-spin stab.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »
I cant chamber lances anymore and then hit the horse in the ass, not even close. I can't chamber stabs anymore and hit the player if they sidestep with a decent amount of athlethics. I can fight off ganks by doing quick turns and overheads. 1h was so much fun because it had 4 amazing animations, even though most shielders only use 1. Now you fucked up two of those and made me a leftswingspammer like everybody else.

Oh and pikes and longspears are still really powerful, its just all the shorter ones and 1h that got raped by this change. I thought lolpiking was the reason, but I'm not even sure now.

I agree, although I wouldn't necessarily say raped. Ironically it buffed the left swing even more, even though it was already our best swing anyways. It definitely raped overhead chambers. If I chamber, I will hit ~30-40% of the time on infantry, and like 15% on cav(easier just to completely dodge it). Regular overheads I have gotten used to but I'm more worried about slaughtering my teammates.

1h has a fast overhead animation, so it was usable right after a block, but now if someone sees the overhead animation coming out, they can strafe away and sideswing again, since you are forced to hold, block, or miss. There were times where a 1h overhead was going to clearly hit me, but I moved a few cm out of the way and it missed.

Reverting the change won't buff 1h, it will tone down the left swinging again and make overhead less frustrating to use. I think 1h is fine with the stab, though, although someone needs to clarify for me.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »
+1
I've seen people jump-180 stab with the Longspear and Pike still, you just have to guide your mouse more smoothly.  Trying to whip it around like you used to doesn't work because the nerf kicks in as you try to spin faster.  But spinning smoothly at the max rate it allows, you can still jump-spin stab.
or just spin before releasing the attack.

Enyway,  this is a very goodthe only buff to real footwork and not just backpeddling "rangecontrol", after constant nerf to it by making glancing obsolete with oversized sweetspots.