Author Topic: Archery. A discussion.  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Archery. A discussion.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 07:40:54 am »
The main thing with WPF is that it increases your accuracy so if you have low PD but high WPF it wont compensate damage but with bodkins you should be able to go mostly for heads and decently armored people or go tartar and aim only for lightly armored. You would be a great anti archer wouldn't you?

That would be a separate issue from the OP:
To my best knowledge, wpf affects dmg for archery. This is fucked. Im pretty sure 15/27 WM build can do more dmg with hornbow than 21/15 PD build with longbow. Shoot faster, do more dmg, be more accurate, use less slots. What the very fuck? Discuss.

DONT bring unrelated to this thread.
I am not disputing effectiveness, I am disputing his incorrect theory that the damage is greater.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:47 am »
Just permaban all archers and cavalry and backpedalling 2handers and crushthrough noobs and polespammers and OP pikers and throwers cuz banning archers is too mainstream ban annoying turtles ban anything that rides a horse ban useless peasants ban agiwhores ban str crutchers fuck this community and game good night.

and nothing remains.

Offline genric

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Genric, HG_Sentry_GenRic, A_Chilies, Beastasaurus
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:38 am »
and nothing remains.

A lot of people with shields
I am the shadow that lingers in your wake. I am four steps behind and two before you. You are trapped. Always.
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:47 am »
+1
Just permaban all archers and cavalry and backpedalling 2handers and crushthrough noobs and polespammers and OP pikers and throwers cuz banning archers is too mainstream ban annoying turtles ban anything that rides a horse ban useless peasants ban agiwhores ban str crutchers fuck this community and game good night.
and nothing remains.
A lot of people with shields

ban annoying turtles

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 10:26:54 am »

15 27 build  with bodkins and hornbow:

Minimum: 49
Average: 51.5
Maximum: 54

21/15 with longbow and bodkins :
Minimum: 55
Average: 57.5
Maximum: 60

Said the dmg calculator.
Its atleast not dealing MORE dmg :D

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 01:07:24 pm »
That would be a separate issue from the OP:I am not disputing effectiveness, I am disputing his incorrect theory that the damage is greater.

No, I am correct. DMG per shot may be higher with very high PD, but since you will not be hitting anything, and shooting much slower, DAMAGE BEING DONE IS LESS. My OP does NOT state DAMAGE PER SHOT, simply dmg. When you Assume, you make an ass of u and me.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
+1
Base_Damage=(0.85+(wpf*0.15))

So 1 wpf is a smidge past 0.85 base damage, 100 is base damage, and 200 wpf is 1.15 base damage...

OP is incorrect by a long margin on the damage differences. WPF gives a damage perk, it is not a competitor to PD, PT or PS. Losing 4.2% damage and gaining 28% still wins in PD's favor.

Dis formula don't work.  (0.85+(100*0.15))=15.85 base damage?
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »
+2

No, I am correct. DMG per shot may be higher with very high PD, but since you will not be hitting anything, and shooting much slower, DAMAGE BEING DONE IS LESS. My OP does NOT state DAMAGE PER SHOT, simply dmg. When you Assume, you make an ass of u and me.

First off your original example is shitty.  a 15/27 build is a pure archer build, a 21/15 build has points left over for max PS & 5 IF.  If you are going to compare a pure archer with another strength oriented pure archer, comparing 15/27 to 21/21 or 21/18 is much better.

Second you are forgetting an important fact: the less damage you do, the more shots need to hit in order to kill.  So yes you might miss more often with less wpf, but a high wpf build would need to compensate for it's low damage output by a MUCH higher amount of accuracy.  17-26 wpf isn't nearly enough accuracy to compensate for the lowered damage.

Third, here are some numbers
Using http://alpha-lider19.ru/MB/?go=archercalc :

21/21 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  16.4 damage on average  (this one has 165 wpf)
21/18 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  15.7 damage on average  (this one has 156 wpf)
15/27 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  11.8 damage on average  (this one has 182 wpf)

It seems, good sir, that it may be YOU who are making the assumptions here.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:29 pm »
+2
I just tried it lastnight, 15/27, and it seems like a waste for me personally. There were instances when I would hit an unarmed archer ~3 times and they wouldn't go down. It was nice being mostly pin-point accurate from short-mid range and stopping infantry trying to gang up on a lone teammate but it just delayed the inevitable and didn't have enough stopping power for my taste unless they were injured in the first place.
And how!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:10 pm »
Pew.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »
+1
Archery is crap, end of discussion  2h cav FTW.
Turtles

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
To my best knowledge, wpf affects dmg for archery. This is fucked. Im pretty sure 15/27 WM build can do more dmg with hornbow than 21/15 PD build with longbow. Shoot faster, do more dmg, be more accurate, use less slots. What the very fuck? Discuss.
15/27 is weak. Unless you have loomed bow+arrows then it becomes more useful. Headshots or light armored horses are mainly what it is best for.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »
Archery is crap, end of discussion  2h cav FTW.

Well I can't argue with that  :lol:

I still disagree, as the DPS is lower. A 24/15 will still produce more total damage and score hits if you use it correctly (which is a bad build anyways, 24/18 works better and you can get away with just 3 ATHL if you are in a clan/friend squad). Instead of long range sniping, a 24/15 should be running directly in with the infantry, floating inside or around them, and scoring medium to close range shots. Having done this, you score quite a few hits, you just need to be very aware of the skirmish situation to avoid being over run. 24/15 can murder cavalry rather well, honestly.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
+1

21/21 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  16.4 damage on average  (this one has 165 wpf)
21/18 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  15.7 damage on average  (this one has 156 wpf)
15/27 naked archer w/ hornbow & bodkins vs someone with 50 body armor:  11.8 damage on average  (this one has 182 wpf)

It seems, good sir, that it may be YOU who are making the assumptions here.

Thank you.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »
first i'd like to say: No.

Also, you must be new here.
If your curious about the damage, why dont you make an alt Skip The Fun and try the builds out? I can guarantee you the PD will do more dmg. Not to mention less drop when firing the bow since it's a long or rus bow.
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.